A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd most likely not be impressed with anybody else trying to write the final novel from GRRM's notes, but if he was nearing completion on A Dream of Spring before he died, then I'd welcome a job like Christopher Tolkien did with The Silmarillion. An excellent novel and probably the best fantasy book I own. Even if it makes me angry sometimes that Christopher didn't include Dagor Dagorath. A hugely important part of the legendarium.

2. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

3. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's a nice interview. The first flat-out confirmation I've seen that the five-year gap wasn't part of the original plan, though that was always implicit in the way he talked about the development of the series. And it's good to see him moderating his often childish talk about Sliders and Doorways.

4. DalekJim

Good interview, I actually agree with much of his rational regarding showing Dany in Meereen fucking up. A shame the execution didn't quite live up to that.

5. Brendan Moody

Yeah. It's a pity that Feast and Dance, which are a generally realistic and nuanced portrayal of stuff fantasy generally skips over, have pacing problems that exacerbate their rejection by fans who think that quality is all about "battles and sword fights and assassinations."

6. DalekJim

They're both underrated by fans, especially A Feast For Crows which only has a few pacing problems, and is largely excellent. I'd rate it above the original A Game of Thrones book, actually. I think a few of the Dorne and Ironborn chapters could have been merged, and the early Brienne chapters are too slow, but other than that it's a masterful book.

For all it's huge faults A Dance With Dragons is also kinda underrated by fans as all the non-Essos stuff is really good, and I like the Arya and Victarion plots in Essos a great deal. My major gripes with that book are almost entirely to do with Tyrion and Dany's plotlines (Which take up 22 chapters!) so the sooner those 2 get to Westeros, the sooner the series will be back to the quality it should be. I'm dreading having to deal with Dany spending elongated amounts of time with the Dothraki, I'm seemingly the only fan that couldn't case less about them. Uninteresting savages.

7. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

They may have been more interesting if there was more of them, as opposed to the rag tag bunch of shiftless nomads they've dwindled down to since Drogo's death. I was actually hoping they'd run into another Khalasar just to see what would happen - would certainly have been more interesting, IMO, than some of her exploits around the 'Bay. Have the dragons incinerate the Khal after watching his bluster and posturing and then >poof< - fricasseed Khal.

8. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

9. Brendan Moody

Gatiss' casting was mentioned last week, but you may have missed the discussion among all the political talk around that time.

10. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Captain Captain

So who COULD be Gatiss playing? I don't remember any non-martell non-essos character introduced in the second part of book 3, and he doesn't look either.

11. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

12. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Thought it might have been, but the thread had jumped several pages since I last looked in.

13. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ THAT is bloody amazing! :eek:

15. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

That cake is amazing. I am not sure I would have had the heart to cut it.

The flowers and the gowns were stunning. They didn't use blue roses though. Shame on them! :rommie:

I quite enjoyed Feast for Crows. I especially enjoyed the glimpses into everyone's psyche in the aftermath of all of the carnage that had happened up to that point. As a reader I tend to enjoy the building blocks of a story more than the pay off.

I also enjoyed large chunks of Dance. However, I felt that slogging through Tyrion's and Dany's chapters became a chore. I found myself frustrated by those two characters especially. I found both of them to be myopic and tiresome.

16. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

That cake is awesome. The link showing their wedding was great, too.

17. DalekJim

They should have appeared already, but I believe he's either Mace Tyrell or the Magnar of Thenn.

18. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

He was only filming for three days. There's no way they filmed all Mace's parts in three days. They were holding open auditions for the Magnar, so I doubt that's who Gatniss is either.

Given the secrecy, I would guess he's playing Bloodraven. That's a character who would only be appearing briefly and whose appearances could be filmed in a very short space of time.

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I'm glad his role is brief, whatever it is. I like his writing and his grotesques in League Of Gentlemen were great fun but I don't think he's a strong or subtle enough actor to play a serious role over a sustained period of time. Even his Mycroft Holmes kept me thinking of his LOG regulars.

20. DalekJim

After his 2 great Doctor Who episodes this year, the guy could play Arianne Martell for all I care.