Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe the surprise cameo next week will be Namor coming to their rescue.

2. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, thanks for that.

3. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Namor? Not likely.

We already knew about Fury. But would they keep a second string of sorts in reserve and not publicize the fact? It wouldn't surprise me if the answer ends up being "yes".

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sebastian Stan is affordable.

They've been mentioning Romanov all season.

But if they're shooting up Kree DNA, that means Captain marvel, Ronan the Accuser, the Kree Skrull War or the Secret Invasion.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I loved seeing May play the goofy scientist -- and then I realized she was playing Simmons! Adorable!

How long was Gabe Jones with SHIELD? Some of that spy gear Triplett brought in was too advanced for the 1940s -- more like '60s stuff, even allowing for spy-fi technologies being ahead of the real-life curve.

This episode feels like the writers anticipated all the fans who'd be going "Ward can't really be a traitor, he must be under mind control or have a bomb in his eye or something!" and had Fitz be the mouthpiece for those theories, only to have them dashed. And I like the way they ended up having it both ways. Yes, Ward really does care for the team -- but no, that won't keep him from killing them or convince him to switch sides, because what Garrett did to him is just that messed up.

So is Raina an 0-8-4 too? Do she and Skye share an origin?

Ummmm....

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Ronan is in Guardians of the Galaxy so it's doubtful he would show up.

7. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

This. And can we all please now drop the ridiculous, Simmons is HYDRA talk as well.

8. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Thittle and Dr. Rom. LOL! Classic.

I take it younger Ward shot his dog Buddy at the end, just as he jettisoned Fitz Simmons off the bus and into the ocean. But the way he did it seemed like the two could still survive. I'm assuming that pod is waterproof.

I was intrigued by Raina's uncovering Skye's past, indicating that Skye's parents were monsters. She is an object of unknown origin after all.

9. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I think maybe Ward did with Fitzsimmons what Garrett did to him--Left them to their own devices to survive. Tough love.

10. Guy Gardener

Does doubtful mean inevitable?

Because that sounds like an awesome ad.

Get their moneys worth.

Synergy.

I mean, if they want to make you watch a movie, or drag a movie goer into the smaller screen adventures...

What about Strucker or the Maximoff Twins?

11. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

It's comic book killing of a sort.. this way he can claim he executed Garrett's order while having the small chance of them surviving. Ward may be in Garrett's camp from the beginning but he's clearly not a cold killer like Garrett.

He can form attachments and i believe he got attached to the team but Garrett's command supercedes any personal attachments or wishes he has.

Now he still has killed Shield agents and innocents as well which makes him irredeemable unless they find a truly remarkable and believeable way to get him back into the teams good graces (personally the best way to write Ward out would be to kill him while he sacrifices himself for the team/Skye).

Coulson was just awesome this time.. i'm happy to see him returning to his normal self, i.e. how we know him from the movies and pre-Hydra storyline. It was just so adorable seeing him freak out over vintage spy equipment together with Tripplett. :lol:

Speaking of Tripplett.. in those few episodes he's with the team he's already more likeable than Ward was in the entire show up to the Hydra reveal. I hope they keep him around and make him a permanent member and explore his character some more (please some more Howling Commandos stuff!).

And i also agree that Fitz was the mouthpiece for all the fans out there hoping that Ward is controlled somehow (several people here in this very thread are like this) when every action of Ward betrays that feeling.

Looking forward to the finale.. preview looked good and i'm curious to see what will happen because i have absolutely no clue. Big battle to take down Hydra? Doubtful given the size of the team vs the size of Hydra.

Personal revenge with Garrett being taken out by the team?

And what's the role of Fury in all this?

It's good that the show made this excellent turnaround since the Hydra storyline.. if it would have continued like before i doubt i'd get any curiosity or even excitement for the finale.

Btw.. is it official that Shield got a season 2?

12. Guy Gardener

Not as yet unfortunately.

13. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

That was a cool episode. I loved seeing Coulson and May doing actual spywork.

"Expect a large file transfer" - :guffaw:

Loved Fitz being badass as well, although really the attitudes he expresses "he deserves to die" etc do make it seem like he could fall to the dark side at some point in the future, especially when contrasted with Skye's compassion at letting Ward live.

So...Skye is a monster. Maybe her latent powers will show up in the finale and that's how they get out of their situation.

14. Guy Gardener

Fin Fang Foom?

Xorn (Massive Can of X-Worms!)?

Iron Fist (technically the Iron Fist is a Dragon.)?

Wong... Good lord! Is Skye really She-Wong!

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The "monsters" were probably Kree. Maybe Skye's parents tried to run away from the military and they came looking for them.

16. Guy Gardener

"Blue" doesn't really make them seem like monsters?

Did the partial corpse seem enlarged?

Although a Kree Sentinel.

Those Bastards are massive.

Let's say Skye is 20, so really in 1994 are we really to expect that sort of language was going to be used by the most uneducated rural hicks in Red China.

17. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

I didn't see this is Ward being particularly lenient. Yes, the method he chose to get rid of them gives them a chance of survival (and clearly they'll be fine), but i don't think that's why he chose it. They had locked themselves in that room/container thing. He couldn't get to them otherwise, so dropping them in the ocean like that, which in real life is an absolute death sentence, was his only way of executing Garrett's orders.

18. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Or could she just be using the term "Monsters" to indicate they were evil people committing mass murder?

That would be a typical real-world way to use the term. On the other hand, this IS a comic book, so...

19. Guy Gardener

But Flowers has the horn for super powers.

"Transformations"

However... She is lying.

The tools she was manipulating Ward with, to turn him on Garret were textbook.

"Are you sure that you are as important as Garret that you are a big boy enough to know my secrets? Oh yes you are a big boy, I'm so sorry for not realizing how big a boy you are, so much more bigger than Garret. My big big boy."

:)

Flowers was also pretending to be an idiot so that Ward would think that he was the smartest man in the room, when he was clearly not.

"Monsters" is bait for a trap, even if it's true.

20. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My favorite part of the episode. We had to rewind that several times.