Green Arrow (CW)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

But this Chloe is sensible enough not to fall in love with Clark.

2. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I disagree. Stephen Amell was impressive from the first episode and the primary reason the show works at all. And I say this even though my true love is Susannah Thompsom.

Yes, but they've been very sparing with her character, to the point we don't really know her. In that sense she's already written out.

Moira is against the Undertaking, and so is Oliver. So technically they have that grounds for reconciliation. But on the other hand, for a family member to kill people bent on evil while deceiving the rest of the family? I don't see how Oliver can forgive Moira for that!

Half the show is the island story and it's moving pretty slowly I think. There's not much dramatic choice in that, Oliver either bulks up or dies. That's a no-brainer, so who's really all excited about wondering whether Ollie is a boob?

I'm guessing since I haven't seen Smallville, but if Laurel is Chloe and Oliver is Clark, then you've forgotten the character development mantra, which is that people change, radically, for no reason at all, rather rapidly, even though they may change right back. Laurel/Tommy is refreshingly believable, but the demands of open-ended serialization are merciless. It appears they had a fairly good idea where they wanted to go, but I suspect they've not been able to look ahead to season two.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I think he means Felicity = Chloe
    And Diggle = Pete

4. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Well you never know.
    I think it's a great show so far

5. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This show is moving fast compared to SMALLVILLE. The Island stuff is interesting along with Oliver's Starling City journey. We want to see how he gets to 'Arrow' and how he gets to Green Arrow. Some of use at least. :p

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

"Arrow" promotes Colton Haynes to series regular

7. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

^Good news but I hope they dont rush things. I dont need to see Speedy anytime soon, now Arsenal on the other hand......

8. Guy Gardener

He's never going to become "Green Arrow". The name is stupid and Oliver stated as much when Laurel's dad suggested that "The Hood" adopt the name "Green Arrow" at a dinner party in episode 4 or 5.

9. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

To satisfy my inner smartass, I've got to point out that this was not Laurel's dad, but Tommy's.

10. Guy Gardener

I feed my innersmartass all the time.

It's dangerous to say "no" when it's demanding doughnuts.

11. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which means Laurel = Lana

12. stj

If I'm a shallow person, does that mean my inner smartass is on the outside?

Well, either way, my inner smartass says "The Hood" is at least as dumb as "Green Arrow," especially since the guy's just wearing a muindane hoodie. You'd think people would focus on the rather exotic bow and arrow set, wouldn't you? And since the arrows now come in green and black, that the color would be a handy adjectivie in talking about these guys, no? Thinking an inappropriate nickname is somehow cooler just seems excessively fanboyish to me.

To my mind, it's a splendid example of the writers imposing an idea (a supposedly cooler name, in this case) on the characters instead of writing character specific (aka real) dialogue. Like all the SG-1 characters always said "false gods," as if there were real ones.

Some real people would have interpreted Queen's campaign against the wealthy as terrorism, and call hoodie a terrorist. But the writers seem to have avoided this.

13. Icemizer

^ But they have set up the whole Green and Black arrow thing which could be picked up on by the press at some point. Also if and when Ollie stops killing people The Hood will not be such a great name to have and one he may want to distance himself from. When he becomes a hero and not a vigilante Green Arrow will be far more appropriate.

14. stj

^^^This is all true. But many people will still think "Green Arrow" is dumb, nerdy, dorky, etc. The title of the show is Arrow, so I guess that tells us which camp the producers are in. In a way, it's kind of minor, and lots of stuff about the series are done about as well as can be hoped for.

Isn't the show like later Dexter, committed to the glory of vigilantism?

15. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Not really, Dexter's a psychopath that has a need to kill. The only reason he's only killing bad guys is because that's what his father taught him. The show doesn't pretend that Dexter is a vigilante trying to keep murderers and rapists off the streets. That's just a byproduct of Dexter's need to kill.

16. stj

^^^The show may acknowledge that Dexter is not motivated as a vigilante but it is exactly what the show uses to excuse our (supposed) pleasure in Dexter's murders.
    This pleasure is why the ever more slipshod plotting of the murders, or the numerous people who somehow have no real problem with his hobby are so acceptable. The whole point is that Dexter is killing bad guys and we are supposed to hurrah.

(In the first seasons, the real charm was in Dexter's private life, as he was a good hearted doofus valiantly trying to cope with his social relationships. And we cared (some of us anyhow) because that good heart conflicted with his Daddy-taught homicidal mania and we wondered what could happen when he finally went sane. All these elements were decisively rejected with Rita's murder.)

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

19. Icemizer

Well I felt this episode was pretty blah even the stuff on the island really was not interesting. Liked the mention of coast city and the Huntress is always pleasing on the eyes. The stuff with Roy was probably the best thing this week.

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I liked the line about Huntress looking like the T-Mobile girl.