DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm really going to start championing Sholly Fisch...his backstories in Action Comics have been terrific, and that Legion one was great. Morrison though, oh boy...the possibilities of him with the Legion are limitless. I was a little worried at first with how he would treat them, but then that was settled when they showed up in the first arc. He treated with respect as they should be treated. Levitz clearly respects them but his story telling techniques with them are so erratic that it becomes frustrating following the book, I'm still a bit sad I dropped the book.

2. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I like Andy Diggle and am really looking forward to his run part of me also wishes that Fisch had been given a chance at writing the lead in ACTION COMICS. He's been a consistent bright spot in Morrison's extremely uneven run.

3. Admiral_Young

4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the current mini isn't very good IMO.

5. Admiral_Young

I've been enjoying it...the digital series has been terrific for the most part so far. I expected the mini-series to be awful, but it's surprised me. Also the mini-series is in it's own continuity, while this upcoming ongoing seems like based on the cover will be taking place in the digital series continuity which seems to follow the MOTUC continuity.

6. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the digital series has been really great thus far. seems odd that the ongoing would be in a separate continuity from the mini though.

7. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
  8. Admiral_Young

I agree about the separate continuities, but I think that was one of the selling points of the mini-series, that was in its own continuity. DC made it clear that it would be distinguished from everything else. The Digital Series I'm pretty sure has been following the figure line continuity as I mentioned, since it has featured elements from the line I believe, including Geoff Johns own creation Sir Lazor Lot (sigh). I'm just really excited about this, I didn't really expect that we would get an ongoing. The trade for the mini-series comes out in July I think too.

Yeah those covers look like they're part of some kind of gimmick cover thing DC is planning for April. They're supposed to be gatefolds, which is why half of the image is showing. Should be an interesting month.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  9. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Lets see this week,
    Action 16, liked the LSH bits more than the actual story. Found the action Jimmy Olson a bit silly. Really enjoyed the backup story with Universo.
    Detective Comics 16, Good all around though I doubt the Joker would allow these other groups to flourish since they would take away from his spotlight.
    Earth 2 8, Nice self contained story introducing Fury. This one continues to keep me interested.
    Phantom Stranger 4, This books keeps ratcheting up the tensiion and next issue is the Spectre so that will be good. Constantine was great in this issue and seems to be fitting in well with the main DC universe, which is a surprise.
    Worlds Finest 8, Nice flashbacks to Huntress with her Mom and Dad. This series needs more of this. Looks like Batman will be involved soon.

10. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm catching up with Wonder Woman and Worlds' Finest this week, and really enjoying the latter.

11. Admiral_Young

12. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

^Well thats a good thing. As much I enjoyed the beginning of the Swamp Thing story it has just seemed to drag on for the past couple issues. A new story would be appreciated.

13. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Scott Snyder dragging out a cross-over event? Say it isn't so. ("Needs more owls")

14. Admiral_Young

Heh. Owls are everywhere :) Hopefully they don't show up in Metropolis ;)

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

IMO it was more due to Snyder and Lemire's writing not really gelling together. It probably would have been better if it just focused on them fighting the Rot separately instead of the Rotworld stuff. And I'd would have also liked more Abby as the Rot avatar stuff.

16. Admiral_Young

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

So which character will become Captain Warlock?;)

18. Hound of UIster

Jack Hawksmoor?

19. Admiral_Young

20. Hound of UIster

They'll renumber it probably after #100.