Your worst injuries

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by O'Dib, Nov 27, 2009.

1. TrekNut87

TrekNut87 Captain Captain

I haven't had many injuries, but there are three that I can remember pretty well:

Age 7: I've had several surgeries on my legs as a result of my Cerebral Palsy. The objective of this surgery was to realign my hips and legs to keep my feet from turning in. I don't exactly remember what they did, but my parents have told me they cut my leg bones and completely reset them so they were straight. Recovery was absolutely brutal and I spent several weeks in agony, but the surgery did it's job.

Age 16: Tore up my knee pretty good. I have no idea how I did it, ut it hurt like hell.

Age 16: That summer, I was home making myself some soup and took the lid off faster than I should have and cut my finger. I didn't feel any pain, so I didn't realize that I had done something to it until I noticed that my lunch was turning red. So I twisted my arm, only to see my finger covered in blood. It was quite messy, but I ended up fine, but I do have a little scar as a permanent reminder. The most embarrassing part of the whole thing? It was my middle finger that got all the damage, so it looked like I was flicking everybody off every time I put on a new bandage.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  2. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Age 14 broken left collar bone. (wrestling around) had to hitch hike 8 miles home. had dinner my dad didn't think it was that bad but took me to the hospital later, then he laughed when the Dr. said I'd broken my Clavical.
    the worst part was getting a chill that made you shiver or some jack ass making you jump.

Age 26? Torn right ankle legiments 6 weeks off work. on Compo. twisted it again in 1998 12 years later.

3. Cayla

Cayla Admiral Admiral

Age 23, four of us went sled riding with hangovers. I ended up with a broken tail bone, broken cheek bone, and I split open my eyelid. I still have the scar.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Good grief, some people here have been down-right maimed. :eek:

The worst injuries I've sustained are some severe cuts requiring stitches, one incident requiring me to see a physical therapist... twice in the course of 6 weeks.

5. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

The worst thing I have done is a sprained elbow when I was 15. But some people here have done at lot worse than that.

6. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    Amen.

Complications during at home recovery after surgery + quack doctor = at least 5 trips to the emergency room within four weeks after the surgery and a month in the hospital after his partner fixed the problem.

Injury wise:

-Dropped a trailer on my left hand while loading a car onto it.
    -Had my right hand caught in car/truck doors twice, requiring surgery to repair it once.
    -Did a faceplant over a curb into asphalt requiring stitches while out on a double date
    -3rd degree burn to the palm of my hand when someone called my name behind me while I was teaching my fry cook how to clean the flat grill

7. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Age 39: shoot just below the left eye with a pellet from an CO2 gun in a drive by , while waiting for our desinated driver to pick us up.
    (It was just some asshole leaving a dumpy appt. Bldg. in a white chev. van. decided to randomly shoot at a group of people I was the only one hit)

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

You'll shoot your eye out!

9. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

My cousin did that when he was a kid. Now he has a glass eye which he used to take out and roll around to gross out the kids. Once it rolled under the fridge.

10. Bears Discover Fire

Bears Discover Fire Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My uncle has a glass eye and lost it in our pool when I was a kid. I had to dive down to the bottom and retrieve it. Talk about tramautizing :lol:

Lets see my "big" injuries. I've never been maimed, thank god.

Age 1: fell face first on the edge of a coffee table while learning to walk and bit through my lip.

Age 5: went sailing over the handle bars of my bike and landed chin first on the side walk. My chin was hanging by a flap of skin and my jaw bone was visible. Took a lot of stitches. My nickname in kindergarten was "the bearded lady".

Age 10: stepped in a gopher hole while playing soccer during lunch and broke my left ankle in several places. At the time, the ER misdiagnosed me with a severe sprain. Years later, when I broke my foot (see below - age 25), an x-ray revealed 6 old fractures sustained simultaneously.

Age 14: fell off an ATC and caught my right leg in the spinning tire. 2nd and 3rd degree burns from knee to ankle, requiring a tetanus shot and several hours in the ER of a nurse picking rubber chunks out of my flesh and berating me for being a stupid kid (she was right). The single most acutely painful injury thus sustained.

Age 16: thrown face first into a brick wall by a solid wood door on a loaded spring hinge, embedding my lower lip into my braces (short term) and killing all four of my bottom front teeth (long term).

Age 20: bit on the calf by a brown recluse spider in my bed on the first day of christmas break. Lost my ability to walk for two weeks due to swelling in the leg. Ended with a dime size hole in the leg I could stick my finger through to the first knuckle.

Age 25: fell on a broken sidewalk and snapped two bones in my left foot. 2 months in a cast, 6 months in a Camwalker, never fully healed. Still in a lot of pain; I may yet require surgery.

Age 26: strangled and beaten in my apartment building. Strangulation injuries and 3 bones broken in my left foot. Only spent a month in a cast and 6 months in a cam walker, but went through a lot of physical therapy. This is by far the most psychologically damaging and traumatic injury I've sustained. Jury's out if I'll ever be "ok" again.

11. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Not to get overly mushy or anything, but it does make me happy any time I see you've posted on the BBS, just because you've been through so much recently. I like seeing you're still with us.

12. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

not my worst injury but my most memorable:

age 5, ran over my own right arm on my big-wheel while reaching for the hand-brake... sprained it pretty bad too.

had to have my friends do my coloring for me in kindergarden for a week or so! :guffaw:

13. HobartFloyt

HobartFloyt Captain Captain

Age 15: Managed to pull a highsider which slammed me down on my left shoulder and hip on some concrete while home alone. No head contact, but I did go inside and fall asleep within a few minutes which in retrospect suggests some sort of trauma, but no telling now. No strength in the left leg for three or four days. Couldn't climb stairs, hobbled around like an 85yo man for about a week. The most interesting thing about this now is that neither parent seemed to take much notice that a 15yo boy can't seem to stay awake, walks like a cripple, and has barely eaten for three-four days. I would think that an ER trip would've been the thing to do after finding out about a kid having hard fall and now can't stay awake, but maybe that's just me.

The other one is about as stupid. I was working in an auto shop and was looking for the timing marks on a fwd VW. I saw what looked like a black plug in the right spot and reached into the "plug" with my right index finger. I was instantly instructed on why you don't go sticking your finger into running machinery but was lucky and it only smashed the very tip. Hurt like hell and kinda took my head out of the game as it were. A friend was asked why I was acting weird and I told him. When the bosses wife heard about the injury she wanted to clean it. She used liquid dish soap on the wound and then left to get some towels right quick. I was standing there next to the sink with the finger stinging worse than the original injury and I started to notice my peripheral vision yellowing and closing in. I remember thinking that this isn't good but I can hold the closing-in vision off because nothing is really wrong and everything will be all right. Next thing I remember is a paramedic looking down at me over the back of the couch in the lounge and asking if I knew where I was. I had mixed feelings about this since he woke me up from a really good dream, but I pulled it together within a few seconds and they left.

14. Valin

Valin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was in a rather bad car accident seven years ago. The driver-side door was pushed all the way to the glove compartment. I was in the driver's seat. They had to use the jaws of life to get me out.

My hip and pelvis were fractured in a number of locations. My knees were injured. The doctors thought at first that I would never walk again. Then they said I would always need a walker. Then I'd always need crutches. Then I'd always need a cane. Or I'd have a permanent limp.

Three-and-a-half months after the accident I was walking on my own two feet with no limp. I still get pain in my hips and knees, and if I ever had to change a tire, I'd probably need help getting back up, but outside of that I'm in great shape.