STEAM Winter Sale

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jax, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Isolinear

Isolinear Commander Red Shirt

Don't think about buying Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons, just DO it!!!! It's a beautiful game. Also, don't miss out on The Swapper. Incredible.

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, been light on this sale too. But then again, I just got a bunch of PS3 games for Christmas.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I still have a backlog of games from the summer and last years' winter sale so I'm being *very* picky this time.

I almost bought 'Remember Me' but then I saw what the DLC was and refused to buy the game on general principle. I mean come on! Improved game mechanics as DLC? There's no way I'm supporting that noise.

4. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

I bought "Risk of Rain" for $8 and I cannot stop playing it! There's so much to unlock, but what keeps me coming back over and over is the challenge of the game. The more you play, the more you learn which powerups work best with each class. And each enemy has many strengths and weaknesses that you need to figure out.

On top of all that is the randomly generated levels. Since you are only given one life and can't save, it would be tedious to keep replaying the same levels over and over again, knowing exactly where everything is. Changing things around each time you play makes it more interesting.

Based on what I spent on it, "Risk of Rain" might be the most rewarding game I've ever played. I can't recommend it enough.

5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

X-Com: Enemy Unknown for 75% off. I've been waiting for a sale to pick up this game.

Since you enjoy 2D roguelike platformers you should check out Rogue Legacy. It's an excellent entry in the very tiny genre.

6. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

I was definitely thinking about buying "Rogue Legacy". Everything thing I've read about it sounds cool.

7. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

The xcom:enemy within dlc is %50 of as well...
    Here in Europe that means €25 for the game and expansion, cheaper than just the expansion outside the sale...
    Picked up Bioshock Infinite in the flash-sale for %75 off...

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Out of curiosity, has anyone else managed to craft the winter sale badge? Just from two purchases and voting on the flash sales I've managed to get all but two cards.

Since I've been selling the duplicates I may actually buy the last ones off the market as I'm pretty close to a level up. I know it seems silly, but higher levels increase your drop rate in normal play and for reasons that are beyond me, people do pay real money for these things. Not a huge amount by any means, but from cards alone I managed to raise enough to buy the Walking Dead DLC.

9. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm new to Steam (finally got a laptop that will handle recent games), so have bought a lot of stuff, and I've been voting on most of the flash sales, so I've gotten enough cards to craft the badge twice, with six left over. I'm too new to use the Market to get rid of the extras, so I may have to try trading them for game cards.

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

All you need to do to sell is go to you inventory, click on the card and click "sell". It'll show you a line graph of what price the item has been going for lately and you can put in what you want for it. Steam always takes a cut (10-15% I think?) so it'll show you what you'll end up getting too. The snow globe cards will all disappear when the sale ends so the price is really crashing.

I changed my mind and got The Walking Dead Season 2, so now I only need one more card. If I don't get it tomorrow from voting, I'll probably just buy it since it's only 10p atm.

11. Brendan Moody

Thanks, but "I'm too new to use the Market" didn't mean "I don't know how;" it meant "Steam requires you to have made your first purchase more than thirty days ago, and by the time I hit that the Snow Globe cards will have expired."

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Having been on Steam for the best part of a decade I was not aware of that, but it makes sense now that I think about it.

13. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Yeah, they have some measures in place to keep people from easily gaming the market by setting up dummy accounts and so forth.

In any case, I crafted two levels of the badge just by selling dupes and buying the ones I didn't have. I don't spend "real" money on this stuff because come on. I'm a little annoyed that the items I got out of it each time are worth jack and shit, though. Guess I'll dump them on the market for a couple cents apiece.

One wonders how much real money Valve is making out of the market system. The commish they take is big enough, in scale, that they should be making scads of money, assuming there's enough dimbulbs sinking real cash into it.

14. Brendan Moody

Now that the last deals have been posted and I know I'm not interested in any of them, I can tally the embarrassingly long list of stuff I bought in the sale:

FEZ
    The Binding of Isaac (plus DLC)
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut
    Deus Ex (GOTY)
    Deus Ex: Invisible War
    La-Mulana
    The Walking Dead Season 1
    The Bridge
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent
    Ys I and II Chronicles+
    Braid
    Trine Collection
    Papers, Please
    Guacamelee! Gold Edition
    Dark Souls
    The Cave
    Portal + Portal 2
    Dust: An Elysian Tail
    Brothers-- A Tale of Two Sons
    Evoland
    Gunpoint
    Alice: Madness Returns
    Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians
    The Swapper
    PixelJunk Eden
    Limbo
    Alan Wake Bundle
    Nihilumbra
    Another World
    Half-Life Complete
    Super Meat Boy
    L. A. Noire Complete Edition
    Mark of the Ninja: Special Edition
    Tomb Raider Collection
    Two Tribes Pack

...and the Season Pass for BioShock Infinite. That should hold me for the rest of my natural life, or at least until the summer sale.

15. Robert Maxwell

Good choices! Especially DARK SOULS. Welcome to hell. ;)

16. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Today i also picked up Rogue Legacy and The Bureau:XCOM Declassified + all DLC75% off...

So this time i picked up 2 AAA titles ands a couple of "indie" titles...
    Biggest dissapointment : so many early access games being offered...
    Early access is a crapshoot.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I guess I lucked out then as I bought the last card I needed for 10p (took a few tries, those things ere shifting fast!) and got a skin or some-such for a game I don't own and sold it for a quid and change. Yay Profit!

And yeah, I'd never spend real money on this stuff and I can only wonder who exactly is since this money has to be coming from somewhere. Maybe it's the CS & TF items that are really driving this mini-economy?

I've been tempted to buy that game...but it scares me. My somewhat obsessive personality and a low frustration tolerance seems like a lethal combination when applied to a game like that! ;)

I've been very good this year, only picking up the Bioshock triple pack, the three Skyrim DLCs, Walking Dead Season 2 and Gone Home. Even then that last one wasn't from the Steam sale but from humble bundle for next to nothing.

I was also a little disturbed by the abundance of early access games on sale. Early access & kickstarter are for those that *really* want to support a project and are willing to accept the fact that they may not get what's being promised when alls said and done. Pre-ordering digital media is bad enough (I mean it's not like they're liable to run out of stock, no?) but pre-ordering a game that isn't finished seems crazy to me.

Putting them on a sale rather smacks of trying to sucker in a few people who are too dumb to read the huge blue warning notice...which I suppose is fair enough. One born every minute and all that...but still, I'd rather see some more actually *finished* games for sale.

18. Robert Maxwell

While I don't mind early access games in principle, I do think they should be denoted in some obvious way in the listings instead of having to click through to them to find out they aren't finished games.

I think I only have a couple of them, anyway.

As for DARK SOULS, it's not actually hard if you take the time to learn the controls. It's a game where winning or losing is totally up to you. I don't think the game is in any way unfair, however it does force you to learn its mechanics if you want to be successful. It does require some patience, but I think it's worthwhile!

19. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Does the money you get from selling cards go to the Steam Wallet? How does that work?

20. Robert Maxwell

Yes. Steam Wallet can be used to buy more cards or games themselves. Steam Wallet works like having an Amazon gift card balance: that amount is used first for your purchases, before dipping into your usual payment method. It's basically store credit.