"The impossible has happened..."

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Wingsley, Sep 23, 2012.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know any of this for a fact, but I'd wonder about the food synthesizer, viewscreen, and the scanner hood in the back, plus the star scape mural on the side.

2. Iron

Iron Cadet Newbie

I always liked the early campy feel of TOS. Watching it for the first time in the early 2000's really brings you back to the pure sci fi of decades past.

3. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

My assumption is that those were records made when they joined up after graduating the academy, not reports of measurements made earlier that day. I assume cadets ESPer rating is measured and noted during their training and these are the documents we're seeing on screen.

As for set differences, my understanding is that both pilot episodes were filmed in one studio and then the sets were half struck and carted over to a different, larger studio somewhere else in town. Off the top of my head, I want to say the pilots were made at Desilu in Culver City and then moved to Paramount? It's been a while since I looked any of that stuff up so I probably have that mixed up and rearranged somehow, but the pilot episodes were definitely made in a different place than the series production was. That's why there are so many differences in the set details, and more sets for the series.

--Alex

4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's my preference as well - the big problem being that Mitchell is indicated to have held the rank of Lieutenant Commander while 23.

But we could decide that these records are kept "partially" up to date. That is, they always display the person's current rank, address and other such specs, but they also indicate the age at which the specific test results were obtained. No doubt Mitchell's immutable birthdate would be found a few lines down...

...Did the set even have four walls in the beginning? What was the first episode to show the back wall (that is, a view from the platform towards the console)?

Timo Saloniemi

5. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More coolness: notice Scotty working the transporter controls. They made sure each sound effect coincided with his pressing of a button. This might not seem like a big deal, but consider that these same sound effects would often trail on after a character hit one button. As an example, check out the opening scene when Kirk says "bring it aboard." Scotty has five button hits, with a sound for each one. Later episodes would have that same five-note sound effect after one push of a button. It's almost like Scotty is playing a musical instrument.

6. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

It seems like up to about halfway through the first season, they were very inconsistent about exactly how the transporter was activated. In The Corbomite Maneuver, Scott engages it with the slider as is seen just about the whole time in the series. But in Enemy Within and Dagger of the Mind, Scott or the chief is telling the tech on the right to energize, with it looking like the slide ris being used to 'reintergrate' the beamee. Actually, it looks like in EW that the quick repair solution changes the activation process.

And as far as the transporter itself is concerned, remember in the pilots, for the transporter console all they did was move the helm/nav console and called it the transporter. When they got the series OK, it was deemed necessary to have an actual dedicated console, as the transporter would be as important a set as any on the ship, and people would notice it being the helm console very quickly. (actually, for the series, it looks like they built an entirely new helm/nav console - or rehabbed the first one VERY extensively. Sure looks sleeker)

And I have always thought that about the 203/430 difference also - certainly Federation technology gets smaller, as ours does. Plus, perhaps, Starfleet's personnel base was bigger, too.

7. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

You can see the back wall of the transporter room in "Mudd's Women," the second regular production episode.

8. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The wall adjacent to the doors changes too - in the third season it acquired a sharp corner and 90 turn (to encompass the mini scanner). You can see it clearly in LTBYLB when Bele and Lokai leave the ship for the final time, but it appears in other episodes too. An odd design modification, to be sure!

9. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

This is just me, but I prefer to think the "back wall" of the transporter room was always as it was with the large, engineering MSD we see in "Dagger of the Mind". It just makes sense to me that it be there.

I realize that it clearly was not there in "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield".

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  10. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Well, they might have upgraded the transporter room (just like they upgraded the transporter room set. Alternatively, there may be more than one transporter room.

11. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is one of my favorite episodes of Star Trek. Oddly enough, it feels more contemporary than later episodes. It really shows that Roddenberry and the producers spent a lot of time working on the details of the story and the set, and that shows through more here than later.

12. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really liked that Transporter Room MSD. It makes a lot of sense that you'd have something to monitor the incredibly complex components of the machinery that powered that remakable device!