DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Disillusioned, May 30, 2009.

1. DamarsKanar

DamarsKanar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi all - I just finished watching Ds9 and I have to say I am blown away. I watched TOS and TNG and loved both but I feel like DS9 has truly made me fall in love with Star Trek. I've been a massive Battlestar Galactica fan for years and I feel like DS9 is the first sci fi show to actually fill the BSG void for me. As has been said here, it truly is ahead of its time in the eay that both TOS and TNG were too and I think it easily deserves as much credit as those shows. As a viewer who'sbeen immersed in serialised 'golden-aged' TV for years, I find that by this decade's standards DS9 holds up soo well and doesn't feel dated. I would probably say it could be a great gateway drug to Star Trek for younger viewers who didn't grow up with Trek. I know it's made me love and appreciate the other series even more because it overall made me fall deeper into Trek obsession.

Tosk and Gary Mitchell like this.
  2. Mordwyn Fen-Dweller

Mordwyn Fen-Dweller Ensign Red Shirt

Hi everyone, just joined up here, look some great discussions are being had! DS9 is my favourite Trek Series, Only started watching it a few years ago but I was totally blown away, .Do like Voyager and TOS and TNG and all, but it's just something about the acting and atmosphere and writing that draws me back every time. Favourite Character is probably Damar, I always felt like he was the true hero of the series, because he has to learn how to be, where as the starfleet characters seem a little too perfect sometimes, it's pretty genius having an alien show such a relatable human characteristic.

Least favourite character? hmm, Ziyal maybe? Admiral Ross was pretty one note.

All my favourite episode generally include the Jem'Hadar.

Looking forward to some good chats and about a great show!

Also a Huge Stargate, Babylon 5 and Andromeda fan!

DamarsKanar likes this.
  3. DamarsKanar

DamarsKanar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Welcome! I'm glad someone else appreciates the wonderful Damar as much as I do. You're right that in a sense he really is the true hero of the show. Like many things on DS9, Damar is underrated, unexpected, imperfect, the underdog - yet has a strength and heroism that you can't help but love.
    I agree Ziyal is one of the weaker characters, mostly because I think they never quite figured out what to do with her.

4. Mordwyn Fen-Dweller

Mordwyn Fen-Dweller Ensign Red Shirt

Thanks! Gotta love Damar, I didn;t mind Ziyal too much, I think you're right in saying they never could quite fit her in well. Great name by the way, I watched that episode today! one of the best Quark moments!

DamarsKanar likes this.
  5. Thomas Eugene

Thomas Eugene Commodore Commodore

Hello Guys,

I am sharing today's VOY wallpaper here as well since it is a DS9/VOY crossover picture which a friend of mine requested from me. Enjoy!

Cheers,
    Thomas

[​IMG]

6. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Wholly agreed; the show does feel more relevant now than ever before!

I saw the show in the 90s. As the series went on it improved a ton. Early episodes were hit or miss if not underdeveloped, like "Move Along Home", and I often turned off episodes if I got the vibe they were copying TNG (e.g. "Starship Down" = "Disaster", I don't recall the DS9 episode that was influenced by "Sarek" nor have I gotten to it yet but I'll know it when I see it again :) , which I am looking forward to doing...)

After buying the DVD re-release and getting my fill of the awesomeness known as "seasons 4-6" - this show has dated the best of all Treks, IMHO, in part due to the creative freedoms that add a little more meat to the bone. The bone of a more perfect humanity was always cool. But DS9 takes things to a deeper level, hinting if not discussing HOW they make humanity work and proving that humans, as with all sentient species, can still fumble. But no other Trek comes close to gems like "In The Pale Moonlight", "Sons of Mogh", "For The Uniform", "Valiant" (Ronald D Moore had a certain style that I was a magnet toward), and scores of others since those episodes are part of larger and complex tapestries that lose a little something if watched out of order or out of context.

And seeing a couple eps I missed back in the day, I rewatched previously perceived clunkers.

"Starship Down" has grown on me a ton and, indeed, improves on TNG's "Disaster" rather than just merely copying it. I didn't pick up on details back then.

"Move Along Home" was lacking in spots (or written off as fan-created canon by just saying how the Prophets were quietly involved in teaching Quark a lesson) but a lot was a lot better than what people were saying at the time, and I wanted to know more about the Wodi - not just because they come in and leave without any explanation, they're just there with a mystery game. It's a terribly underrated episode that deserved a sequel.

And in a show where even convenience-based one-off species like the Wodi have such detailed and colorful and rich costumes (plus enough to make them interesting for later use), this series genuinely deserves to be remastered from the original 35mm film negs.

My favorite characters are, in no order, O'Brien, Bashier, Sisko, Dax, Garak, and Worf (inspired and was precisely what the show needed). But there's no character I dislike. The Odo/Quark plots are often fantastic, it's Odo and his people that expand the show's direction, and the Ferengi were treated better in DS9 than in TNG - to the point they one-up humanity's own past in what the Ferengi never allowed.

And while the Federation manning an outpost (with wormhole to keep more possibilities flowing), the inclusion of the Defiant did feel a step in the right direction too.

Mordwyn Fen-Dweller likes this.
  7. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

I can see it now. Good news: Making new DS9 episode! :beer:

Bad news: It's a sequel to Move Along Home. :brickwall:

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I'll still take it! ;)

Qonundrum likes this.
  9. Hunter Zolomon

Hunter Zolomon Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hey guys i am new, i have been enjoying the site for a few weeks now and it has been a god send. So i decided to finally join the conversation.

SPCTRE, kkt and DamarsKanar like this.
  10. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Welcome aboard! :)

Hunter Zolomon likes this.
  11. BobR

BobR Lieutenant Red Shirt

New here myself. I won't try to disparage any of this classic television series, an important part of the franchise overall. No series is perfect or completely even in quality across its lifespan, but DS9 is always great to come back to after some time away.

SPCTRE and jonds91 like this.
  12. jonds91

jonds91 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I actually never introduced myself. My name is Jonathan and I love ST! A bit more about me:
    I am semi-retired and now live in NZ though I'm originally from Sacramento, California. My partner and I were one of the first couples to get married after the same-sex bill was passed in NZ :-) From the late 80s through to mid 2000s I worked for NASA as an engineer. Now I do some consulting work for the ongoing rebuild since the Christchurch earthquakes.

It's really great to be posting and discussing things on this Forum.

13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Welcome aboard! :beer:

14. brianwdaugherty

brianwdaugherty Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm definitely a Niner and happy to be here at Trek BBS! :)

TNG is my favorite Trek series, but DS9 is a very close second. I appreciate the depth and complexity of the characters and the world they lived and worked in; IMO the DS9 characters are the most true-to-life of any of the series.

DamarsKanar, Qonundrum and SPCTRE like this.
  15. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Why not? I definitely agree "Move Along Home" is very rough along the edges and feels lacking, but it still has some moments of brilliance. And who are the Wodi? Was it just coincidental happenstance they show up with this intradimensional weird game thing? Did the Prophets send them? A sequel could answer some questions and even make the "hopscotch or die" scene easier to take in retrospect.

if nothing else, they could open up a tailoring shop or at least work with Garak and not just about fashionable style...

16. MaximusGrandimus

MaximusGrandimus Cadet Newbie

Hello Niners! Newbie here, and I have recently been re-watching my favorite of all the Trek shows. Well, let's be honest - when I binge I usually watch one from each, going in chronological order. But when it comes to the DS9 portion I usually sneak an extra 2 or 3 in on each round. Ironically, my favorite Captain is Picard but Sisko is a close second. I was reading some of the preceding messages and I too agree that this series needs an HD update. The Next Generation transfers are gorgeous and I can only hope that they will be able to get something done, even if they have to redo all the effects. As it is, watching it on my 4K TV - bad as the transfers are - is the closest to HD I can see it for now. Good thing my TV makes it look better. Live long and prosper!

Bad Thoughts likes this.
  17. Tesophius

Tesophius Captain Captain

I tried getting into DS9 a number of times, but would lose all interest within the first 4 episodes. The grittiness and the lack of a starship going off to explore new worlds kind of removes the Star Trek factor from the show for me. However, with STD not filling my Star Trek void, I decided to give DS9 another go and I'm already further into it than I have ever been before. Just finished watching "Dax" S1 EP8 and have enjoyed 5,6 and 8 more than I have any of the STD episodes, so I figured, if I'm watching Discovery, I may as well give DS9 another try. Hopefully I can stick to it this time and thus get into a whole new part of the Trek universe.

I hear it becomes more serialized in the later seasons - which I'm not looking forward to, but so far it has finally managed to get my attention and I'm glad to be enjoying "new" Star Trek.

18. Martok91189

Martok91189 Ensign Red Shirt

DS9 is my favorite series because it was the most intricate series. EVERY character good or bad had a fully developed backstory and storyline. My favorites were: Damar, Martok, Odo, Worf, Chief O'Brien, Bashir and the brief appearances by Kang, Koloth & Kor.
    The space battles were absolutely masterful. The stories always kept me on the edge of my seat. :cardie::klingon:

19. Elephant999

Elephant999 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi everyone,

Just joined after lurking for sometime. Started off as a TNG fan (presently rewatching Netflix episodes for the umpteenth time), and discovered DS9 a few years ago, which I love.

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Welcome!

Hey, I just addressed the elephant in the room. ;)

Savage Dragon likes this.