TIL...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Holdfast, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^Ah. So today I learned what a soldier is (other than the military kind). :)

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Never heard of such a crazy thing.

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Glorious. The word you're looking for, is Glorious.

I grew up on runny eggs with toast soldiers and they made me what I am today. What higher recommendation could there be? :D

(if soft-boiled eggs aren't your thing, toast soldiers are also cool with soft baked eggs)

4. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Ugh, Holdfast, I haven't seen such a nauseating display of drippy, runny slime since I helped my dad wash the windshield after we drove through a swarm of mating mayflies.

5. Holdfast

:lol:

See, you should have made toast, and treated yourself to a free meal...

6. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^Another great source of protein, that's for sure!

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I have never boiled or baked an egg in my life (and honestly, I don't think I've ever even heard of anyone baking an egg), nor do I see any reason why I would.

That said, dipping toast into the yolk of an over-easy fried egg...that is something I can get behind.

8. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Delish!

When I was a kid, I preferred scrambled eggs. But then later in adulthood, I had a chance to try a yolk that was soft but not runny--kind of like butter just before it melts. WOW. The flavor! I find it amazing how much the taste of an egg changes from raw to fully cooked.

9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I'm not the biggest fan of dipping bread into a soft, runny yolk or white but I could see myself eating that and liking it. I've been an egg fan ever since I was a little kid, and those soldiers look pretty tempting.

10. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Manny in Black Books arranges his soldiers on the plate by rank ;)

11. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

This image inspired me to have soft boiled eggs with toast soldiers for breakfast this morning. :techman:

I love eggs in all its incarnations, and prefer them cooked gently rather than senseless.

12. Holdfast

Boiled and poached eggs are a healthier, more delicate (more "egg-flavoured", if that makes sense) version of fried eggs. Try them if you're bored one day.

Baked eggs are done in little butter-lined ramekins (you may know them by their French name: oeufs en cocotte, though I'm not certain if that refers to the whole genre or a specific sub-variant). It's not something I've bothered to cook in a while, but the nice thing about cooking them this way is that you can really vary what else you add to the ramekin to make miniature "one-pot" type dishes. For instance, a bit of prosciutto to line the ramekin and some parmesan & pepper on top. Or a bit of buttered spinach to line the bottom and the egg on top with a little cream & cheese and nutmeg to finish for a speedy/simple version of eggs florentine. Or... well, the list goes on.

It really does, doesn't it.

You're a good woman. ;)

For me, it always takes me back to my childhood, especially if the toast is buttered lightly and just a trace of acacia honey drizzled on top before cutting them up into soldiers. If you want to add another layer of flavour, a really small amount of cheddar on top works wonders with both the honey and the egg. Not the simple classic, but an interesting variant I liked as a kid (and therefore still do!)

13. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

Pancakes with slightly runny eggs on top, you puncture the yolk and it runs all over the pancakes, mixing with the butter and syrup. Heavenly, I tell you.

14. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    Same here. It's also made me hypercritical of restaurant cleanliness and of chemical storage in general. I've turned around and walked out of more restaurants than I'd care to think about, and my friends learned quickly that if I walked out of a restaurant, they did NOT want to eat there.

As for eggs....

Omelets are my downfall. I find them positively heavenly.

15. cooleddie74

Scrambled eggs and sliced sausage links between two pieces of multigrain toast. That's where the action is, baby. You can't go wrong with a toasted egg and sausage sandwich.

16. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    H.P. Lovecraft's work is as weird as I always suspected.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I learned that if you cook bones long enough, they turn into broth.

I also learned that bone marrow, while high in calories, is a pretty good source of vitamins and minerals.

18. Holdfast

TIL that Americans have devised a concept that may come close to soft-boiled eggs and toast soldiers. I mean, not quite, obviously, but it's close and you're still a young nation, so give it time!

19. cooleddie74

TIL that it's possible to turn much younger people onto the fact that Columbo is the best TV detective show ever made.

20. Holdfast

TIL that my TV has the power to heal itself.

It's a pretty old CRT (10 years-ish) which had developed a persistent flicker that usually appears after it's on for a few minutes. Today, I turn it on and not a trace of flicker, despite it now being on for a couple of hours.

It's magic, I tells you!