TIL...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Holdfast, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Absolutely. Knowing what to look for, such as the features of cancerous tumours, cysts, abscesses, benign lumps, skin and lymph node involvement, and... oh, wait. I see... :lol: Oh my.

2. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Today I learned that a unit of alcohol in Ireland is bigger than a unit of alcohol in the UK.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Today, I learned that lidocaine injections burn like a MOTHER :censored:!

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Learned today that it's probably not the best idea to eat leftover pizza and then follow it up with some pudding half an hour later.

5. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Yesterday I (re)leant the fun of managing my Diabetes when it's a bit warm.

Falling asleep in the sun + too much insulin for what I ate = blood glucose levels at 2.6!

[​IMG]

6. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^Isn't it just obnoxious how even the fucking temperature affects it? Although I have to say the best fun is when my liver decides to pump out glucose for no reason giving me a nice spike to 550. I only have a vague sense of the conversion, but I'm thinking a 2.6 is around 40 and a 550 is around 16. Also, I wonder why you guys don't measure it like we do -- mg/dl is more exact than mmol/l.

7. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Thanks to Dimesdan and tsq, TIL that temperature can affect blood glucose levels. I wish I'd know that 12 years ago when I had diet-controlled gestational diabetes with my youngest, whose birthday is this Saturday. That was a hot summer, and towards the end of my pregnancy my glucose was all over the damned place. Knowing that temperature can affect it could have helped me control it a bit better.

Dimesdan, that's a scary reading!

8. Zulu Romeo

I learned today that my mother has the same birthday as Helen Mirren, Stanley Kubrick, Queen's Roger Taylor, and Kevin Spacey.

9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Today I learned that a couple of Rolaids can be your best friend in the world.

10. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I share a birthday with Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Randy Newman, Karen Gillan, John Bunyan, Friedrich Engels, Berry Gordy Jr, William Blake, Ed Harris, Kriss Akabusi, Judd Nelson, Martin Clunes and Jon Stewart.

I knew about some of them before, but I just Googled my birthday to find the rest.

:D

ETA:

Winstead and Gillan were born on my 18th and my 21st birthdays, so I can remember exactly what I was doing on those days. Inebriation may* have been involved.

* was.

11. Zulu Romeo

Now that was one happy day. :bolian:

12. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

My life is complete.

13. auntiehill

Today, I learned that Mary Tamm passed away. :(

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I learned that Glucosamine is an excellent supplement to help with joint pain. Also, I think I might have arthritis.

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

TIL what a rolaid is.

Ouch.

Coincidentally enough, I was just chatting to my electrician about glucosamine and joint pain today. Freaky synchronicity. :D

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The joints in my legs are always stiff and sore for the first few hours of my day. I always thought it was normal, that my joints just needed some time to "warm up," but I did some research and found out that it is actually a sign that my joints are not in good shape. I started taking Glucosamine, and within 3 days I stopped having any joint pain at all. Crazy.

17. auntiehill

I used to take the same supplements, for years, actually. Then, one day, I realized that I was still having the same arthritis pain, and the pills really didn't do that much for me. I THOUGHT they did, but hubby pointed out that I complained of knee pain just as much as I ever did. Then my doctor's office sent out a newsletter that mentioned studies showed Glucosamine and Chondroitin just don't work any better than a placebo.
    Here.
    Here.

On the other hand, it doesn't seem to have any side effects, unless you are diabetic, so it can't hurt you. I guess if you think it works, then it will. YMMV.

eta:

Today, I learned what "over the side" meant. :alienblush:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  18. Zulu Romeo

Today I learned that it's sometimes better to Favourite a tweet instead of retweeting it. :p

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, it probably depends on how severe the arthritis is. I don't know that I have arthritis; I didn't actually go to a doctor. I just did some research about stiff joints and found out that my joints were not behaving as they should. My research also led me to Glucosamine, so I figured I'd try it out, and so far it seems to be helping.

Different people will also respond to supplements in different ways, so what works for somebody may not work for somebody else.

Many bodybuilders take Creatine before workouts to give them increased energy and bigger pumps in the gym. It's one of the most basic, widely-accepted bodybuilding supplements, and people have been using it for decades with great results.

You know what happens when I take creatine? I get sleepy. :lol:

20. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

today I learned that I am going to Oklahoma next week