DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing that DiDio and company are gonna ignore most everything Morrison from now on...which is why this isn't surprising.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Well Damien will still be around.

3. Admiral_Young

I did say "most everything Morrison". Damian is an exception. He seems to be the one thing that DiDio accepted from Morrison's pitch that he actually likes...and then of course there's the Tomasai factor involved. Everything else though is out. Including I assume the"missing year" and Dick being Batman both of which have never been explained or mentioned I think in the 52'Verse.

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Heck, Teen Titans has invalidated large swathes of the 90s Robin series, what with Tim never having been Robin and his parents being alive and in the witness protection program.

I know that DC said that Batman and Green Lantern continuity weren't being rebooted in the New 52, but it's been increasingly apparent the last two years that Batman continuity in the New 52 bears only a passing resemblance to what came before.

That's why Comics Alliance didn't annotate the final run of Batman Inc; the writer of the annotation series stated that he couldn't be sure what references were valid any longer.

5. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Surely Zero Year pretty definitively shows that the old Batman continuity is gone, even if they overlapped slightly for a bit.

6. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Blackest Night was delayed:
    Flashpoint wasn't delayed, obviously, since everything hinged on Flashpoint #5 and Justice Leauge #1 being in stores August 31, 2011, hence my comment saying, "almost." I also should have added, "every event of the past 10 or so years."

7. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

This delays is pretty huge, though. I remember Infinite Crisis being slightly delayed, but nothing like this.

8. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I have to say that I was fairly skeptical about a weekly Batman series at first but then I read the preview in Batman and decided to give it a try. 5 issues in and I am really enjoying Batman Eternal. The art this week was fantastic. I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going.

There was also a big double page ad for Superman #32 in the middle of the issue. I am pretty stoked to see what Geoff Johns and John Romita Jr. do with Supes.

9. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i thought i had somehow missed Forever Evil #7. seems crazy that the next event is getting started while the previous event has yet to finish up.

10. Savage Dragon

Does anyone know when it's coming out?

11. Hound of UIster

April-May 2015.

12. Savage Dragon

well it's not listed for next week yet. I guess we'll be lucky to get it before the end of the month.

13. Admiral_Young

It should be out May 30 unless it gets pushed back a third time.

14. Hound of UIster

This is Finch. Almost always a given.

15. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

At this rate I will get to read my digital copy before the print copy is released.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Future's End #1. I didn't care about anything that happened in here... this entire "future" is obviously going to be wiped out and never really happen.

Batman Eternal #5. The initial excitement of the first issue is wearing off fast. I was not dying to see the adventures of Vicki Vale.

17. Hound of UIster

Future's End 1 was a big improvement over the FCBD issue. Really looking forward to Lemire writing more of the future Stormwatch team. I'm impressed with how Giffen and Jurgens did handling Grifter and Firestorm respectively.

Batman Eternal 5 shows how Eternal really builds from Snyder's Batman run and Year Zero as a minor character that appeared in Eternal is shown to be involved with Gordon's frameup. Whoever wrote the script did a great job with Tim. Probably his best appearance in the Nu52 I think.

Swamp Thing 31 probably is the best DC comic this week. Soule introduces the fungal avatar of the Grey and explains they have been absent from the wars between the Rot, the Red and the Green. The strength of how the art and writing for this comic mesh together I can't imagine anyone else drawing it. The sequence where Alec travels through the Grey were just amazing.

18. Admiral_Young

I flipped through Future's End #0...so this is essentially supposed to be "X-Men: Days of Future Past" and a sort of re-imagining of "Infinite Crisis" as well as a set up for Five Years Later? Wasn't too thrilled with it...hopefully it gets better.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Evil sentient AI created by famous superhero takes over world and co-opts heroes creating post-apocalyptic wasteland... hero goes back in time to prevent it from ever happening...

don't forget Age of Ultron! or Terminator!

20. Hound of UIster

It really does. The #1 issue is written more like 52 or Brightest Day with a large cast of characters each getting a few pages.