DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It's got a new creative team and they really shifted the focus of the book to Guy and how he remakes them into his own Lantern Corps. The team dynamic and how he develops the individual reds makes it better imo than GLC. Atrocitius is definitely the villain trying to regain control of them.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got around to reading Justice League #28, and as I expected, I absolutely loved Johns take on the Metal Men. Before the "Supermen" news broke, I would have expected that perhaps Johns would have plans for a Metal Men solo series or mini-series (which I think would work under his direction). Just a fantastic issue that made me care about these characters for the first time in a long time. The art continues to be sensational in this book as well. I also really love the tweaked Cyborg design for Vic.

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I wish Johns could just take over Didio's position. Johns has vision and creativity and passion for the characters of DC that is lacking elsewhere. I don't know what his actual personality is like but I think he could really be that guy that controls the big sweeping arcs of the comic line, taking it in new and interesting directions.

4. Admiral_Young

^Maybe in a few years...right now he has the perfect position creatively for him, besides which Didio still has Diane Nelson's backing. Until that stops happening for some reason, Didio will still be Co-Publisher.

5. Admiral_Young

6. Hound of UIster

Is he the writer though?

7. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I dunno. He's already CCO of DC which might be the perfect place for him. Being Co-publisher might cause him to lose sight of the smaller things like DiDio has. As far as his story ideas go, I really don't think Johns gets told "no" too often. I mean, if he can get away with writing epilogues for every major character in one of DC's key books, he can probably get away with anything.

I know some people decry his Lantern run for bringing it away from the origins of the character, but I for one love it. He breathed new life into a character that had gotten stale. His Flash run is equally great, cutting right to the heart of the what makes the character engaging. I'm really enjoying Forever Evil, and am looking forward to the future of Justice League.

8. Admiral_Young

I'm assuming that yes Finch will both draw and write the book as he did with "Batman: The Dark Knight". I suppose there's a chance that can change, but if he writes it as well, I've no interest whatsoever.

DC appears to be unhappy with the two separate takes on the character. Azzy's self-contained story, and then what Johns and others have been doing. They want her to be conformed all through their books.

9. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

this is terrible news. i feel like Finch's art has really declined in quality the past few years. compare his Moon Knight and Avengers work with his current Forever Evil stuff.

as a WW fan i would like to see more traditional elements. like the inclusion of Steve Trevor, Cheeta, and Circe. but i have really enjoyed Azzarello's run.

10. Hound of UIster

After LoDK I don't think they would give him another writing job.

11. Admiral_Young

This could be Rich getting only part of the story. I didn't think he'd get another book either, let alone one of the trinity, but I guess we'll see in the coming months.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Finch's DC art does seem very rushed and half-assed when compared to his older Marvel work. Forever Evil often looks quite ugly and malformed.

13. Hound of UIster

It's not "rushed". He seems to be doing more shortcuts using Poser and Photoshop.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn, damn, damn. I've been loving Azzarello's WW and will be very sad to see it end. Luckily I'm still behind so I'm going to have quite a while before I get to the end. Do we know yet if he's getting a chance to tie up his story?

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yeah, I don't think they're being forced off the book or anything. Their story in just coming to an end.

17. Admiral_Young

I read Batman and Robin #28 and wow this issue has been under the radar given the potential "game-changer" feel of it. I really enjoyed this entire arc as Tomasai has been doing really great work and the art has been awesome as well. This should have ramifications I'm assuming will be dealt with (if it's not ignored) in Batman: Eternal and "Batman" later on. I also assume this arc takes place sometime after Forever Evil.

Also read "Wonder Woman #28" and loved this issue. I absolutely adore Cliff Chang's art, and this story just got huge thanks to the ending of this issue!

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Well if WW was a Marvel book then WW would get relaunched with an all new #1. Cause apparently a change of creative team is enough of a justifiable reason to do so. :rolleyes:

Glad that won't be happening.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Sad. I've loved Azzarello's work. The only WW book I have ever read more than two issues of. I also think it was one of the more successes of the new52. It took chances and told something that wasn't the same old same old.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral