Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Teaser

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Prisoner of Azkaban is my second favorite Potter movie, my favorite being Order of the Phoenix which is my second favorite of the books. The Pirates people are gonna be upset that we're near hijacking their thread.

2. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

3. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I wonder how they will introduce Captian Jack this time around. We left him in his bouy last time, we could see a similar intro to that of CotBP. It's hard to top that one though.

4. Aeon

Aeon Commander Red Shirt

I liked his introduction in Dead Man's Chest too. That was hilarious!

5. omgahitsbritt08

omgahitsbritt08 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I can't wait to see the new film. Hmm...it might be alittle weird not having Will or Elizabeth Turner in it.

6. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ Actually, I'm hopeful it might be better... I found that the Will & Elizabeth story dragged the last two movies down a fair bit.

To each his own, though, of course. :)

Cheers,
    -CM-

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

No, I agree with that sentiment. I liked Will and Elizabeth, but I think their story ended in the first movie. They didn't need to be shoehorned into the sequels. But what's done is done.

8. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

They all were funny, the last one was just weird, but funny. When I saw the Captian for the first time though, I cracked up literally laughin out loud.

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Jack's intro in the first movie is one of the best intros of any character in any movie ever made...

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed, and by the time we got to 3 it was glaringly obvious.

Agreed here as well. I'm even on the fence about my enjoyment of the trilogy as a whole but one cannot deny his entrance in COTBP is a modern classic.

11. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually I seem to remember a thread here a while back in which a quote from the filmmakers was produced, naming Elizabeth Swan as the protagonist of all three films. She is the center of both the very first and very last scenes, after all...

As for Pirates 4 - Pirates 3 took a good thing in Jack Sparrow and proved that you could, indeed, have too much of it.

12. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I picked up an out of print book club edition from Powell's this summer. I'm currently a little over halfway through it. It's pretty good, although it was a little stiff in the beginning. I'm wondering which characters will be carried over into the film. Since Will Turner is gone, I thought that Jack Shandy would be a perfect candidate to be Jack Sparrow's new straight man. I instantly hear Captain Barbosa's voice in my head whenever Captain Davies says anything. Really, the only difficulty in directly adapting the book would be figuring out where Jack Sparrow fits in.

Yep. And supposedly Depp has a great affection for Sparrow (much in the same way Harrison Ford isn't shy about saying he'd love to keep playing Indiana Jones until he dies). Depp was much quicker to agree to come back for the sequels than Bloom or Knightley. And isn't Depp getting paid something like $60 million for doing On Stranger Tides? Although, I think that may be a 2 picture deal that includes an option for either Pirates of the Caribbean V or The Lone Ranger. Still, it would tie him for the record for the most highly paid actor for a single film in Hollywood history. (The only others to make $30 million on one film are, IIRC, Arnold Schwarzenegger for Terminator 3 & Tom Hanks for The Da Vinci Code.)

I think that, by jettisoning Will & Elizabeth, the 4th film will be able to avoid the pitfalls of Dead Man's Chest & At World's End. Those 2 films were trying too hard to have a BIG story, ignoring the simple hero-and-rogue-rescue-damsel formula that worked so well in The Curse of the Black Pearl (and the original Star Wars for that matter).

Even then, I thought that The Curse of the Black Pearl was longer than it needed to be. Although, even when it's long, it's still smart enough & fun enough to make decent use of that extra time (unlike the Transformers movies, which are so mind bogglingly stupid that I think even 90 minutes would be a strain).

That was going to be my entry as well.

I like it! Jack Sparrow falls in love was in my mental conception of a 4th movie as well. (But then, my version also included a brief cameo by a pregnant Elizabeth Turner.)

Water movies are still damn expensive. And at least this time, Hollywood seems to understand some of the nuances of audience tastes. We're far less interested in a seafaring movie than we are in a fun little action picture where Johnny Depp plays crazy. It's about the characters, not the setting. IIRC, Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World didn't do particularly well.

I am disinclined to acquiece to your opinion.

:wtf: