Random Thoughts After a TOS Marathon

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Komack, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you go by what was present in the story - THEY had the Constitution and the U.S. etc. before Earth did; as their war was many thousands of years earlier (and actually The Omega Glory was in the running to be the second pilot episode; and was finally used in TOS second season.)
    ^^^
    It was one of the stated premises of the show that they would encounter worlds with 'parallel development', similar to Earth's and an earlier episode that uses this premise is season one's Miri.

2. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got the impression from ST09 that leader type personality's are hard to come by at this time, reason why Pike was perusing him so vigorously. After seeing ID that idea was furthered with the glimpses given of everyday civilians on the street - what a bunch of idiotic looking goof-balls! ;)

Appears to be an Andorian antenna in the container above his left shoulder. :wtf:

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

You gotta wonder sometimes if just about everyone in the '60s was stoned. :lol:

4. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My personal theory is that they are the descendants of a joint American/Chinese deep space colonization mission that encountered an anomaly and was thrown back in time.

5. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I always thought of Spock as the logic, McCoy as the emotion, and Kirk as the wisdom combining the two.

6. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yup. Animus, anima, and whole person, respectively.

7. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The original story was conceived when Roddenberry thought Star Trek would be set far in the future. Thus the Yangs and Combs had left Earth about 1000 years ago with founding documents in hand, colonized this other planet, and had a nuclear war. The finished episode is faulty because it says the war was longer ago than the 23rd century setting would allow.

8. ZapBrannigan

9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

The fault is not within the episode, as TOS on television never precisely pinned down the century. The blame goes to TWOK (Star Trek II seems to be superceded by the Abramsverse), where we finally are told "In the 23rd century..."

10. ZapBrannigan

Khan also says, "On Earth, 200 years ago..." which contradicts that title card.

And there are a couple of items in TOS:

- Col. Felini told Kirk, "I'm going to lock you up for 200 years," which Kirk said was just about right. ("Tomorrow is Yesterday")

- Scotty said "Lincoln died three centuries ago" ("The Savage Curtain")

Both of those references put Star Trek 200 years after the time it was filmed. I don't like that either; I say it was casual talk not to be taken as exactly right. I say 300 years like the official Chronology does.

11. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I always thought it looked a bit like a model of the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion at the Los Angeles Music Center.

[​IMG]

12. ZapBrannigan

That's neat! But surely a coincidence.