Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why? I'm assuming based on your posts here that you don't have any problems reading. I understand you thought The Artist was stupid because it was made during a time where sound available, but what's so bad about a silent movie made before sound became available?

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally I think it's stupid to make a 2D movie in a time when 3D is available.

Okay, not really, but it makes as much sense as a criticism.

3. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Not important, I am just curious. I am a therapist by trade and when people have closed minds I am interested in the cognitive distortions that lead to closed mindedness.

4. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Ah. Professional curiosity. Excellent. I wish you luck. I don't think he thinks he has a closed mind.

5. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

I'm interested to hear what you thought of it. Post your thoughts when you get the chance.

Same here. It's been painfully obvious that he's no older than 25.

6. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of the things that bugs me about super speed in just about everything I've seen it in is that it's never fast enough. They basically just go twice as fast with some blur lines behind them.

I want 'blink and you missed it' super speed, almost to the point of it looking like teleportation.

I once had an idea for a Flash movie that was 3 minutes long but lasted 2 hours due to seeing it from the Flash's point of view for most of it.

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Considering Snyder's usual style, I wouldn't be surprised if we got to see some super-speed action from the other perspective. (As in, super slo-mo that has Clark/Zod moving in "real time" throughout. As seen in Smallville or The One.)

8. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I seem to remember reading somewhere that he has said there will be no slow-mo in this film.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Shame if true, because this is one instance and character where I think his style of slow-mo would have been awesome to see.

10. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

The Artist being a silent film is stupid, to me, because its copying a style of film that was around only because they couldn't do dialog. For the movies that had to do it, I don't watch them because I don't like most really old movies. I'd say the mid sixties is about as far back as I'm willing to go with movies. There are exceptions (I did really enjoy the original Captain Marvel serial, and its from 1941, plus here are things like Loony Toons cartoons, disney movies that I saw when I was younger, and The Wizard of Oz, which I'm not a fan of but it wasn't bad and probably an older movie most people have seen) but when it comes to most movies I just don't like stuff thats too old. The style of acting and writing/stories in really old movies is just something i usually can't stand, whether its silent or not.

Yes, because once you're older than 25, you start liking ancient forms of film (regardless of what you thought of them before), horrible superhero movies, and in general lose all of your personality and ability to get angry :rolleyes: I didn't know becoming a zombie was a symptom of old age.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

No. The older one gets, generally, the more one actually knows as a result of experience and therefore the more interesting one's point of view becomes.

Becoming less quickly and intensely angry over trivia is an aspect of maturity dearly to be hoped for.

If your tastes are the same when you're forty as they are now, you'll have failed at life. That said, I don't think there's a real likelihood that this will be the case.

12. kirk55555

I doubt I'll stop liking superhero stuff or Sci Fi when I'm in my sixties. There are a lot of old people that like stuff like that. As for the anger I feel at stuff I dislike, thats always been me. I can't predict the future, but I'm fairly unchanging when it comes to personality. As for "maturity", I've never been like most people my age. I'm a nerd who doesn't like interacting with people outside my family in real life. I don't really care about being "mature", but it has a lot of different definitions. My immaturity is much different than most people my age. When people talk about immaturity in people around my age, its usually referring to idiots who like to drive way over the speed limit/do reckless stuff, do drugs/party, and generally be a-holes, and I loathe people like that. I'm an extremely shy guy who loves to read, doesn't like interacting with people, and (to be honest) is very overweight. This is all to point out that, while I wouldn't necessarily call myself "mature", any immaturity isn't like that of your normal non nerd 22 year old, who are usually people I'd prefer to jump off a cliff and raise the general likability of humanity.

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, I'm 26 and I like quite a few good old films.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Honestly, you have no idea - and if you did, the best part of your life would be behind you now.

15. kirk55555

Whatever. I've never liked older people try to tell me I'll think like them when I'm their age. It was wrong when my parents made stupid comments when I was in elementary school about things like what I'd think of food when I was older, and it would be stupid to say that about what kind of things I like today. Some things don't change. My Dad's 55 years old, he still likes 90% of the same music and types of things he did at my age, and he definately hasn't gained an appreciation for stupid stuff like silent films. Of course I'm a much different person than he was at my age (he was not a nerd like me for the most part) but I'd say that I'll probably be similar with likes and dislikes when I'm his age. Fantasy, sci fi, superheroes have never not interested me, and I have a firm "immaturity" about stuff like that which is pretty much at my core. I love a lot of cartoons and stuff like that. Thats just me. now, maybe when I'm older I won't lose my temper whenever someone destroys a franchise I like, but the type of things I like aren't likely to shift dramatically.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Since I didn't suggest that, this is a non sequitur.

You seriously and literally have no way of knowing, so "likely" is a pretty silly word to use.

17. kirk55555

This is just a stupid conversation that is not remotely on topic. Its basically "When you're my age, you'll hate everything you've always loved and will instead be exactly like what I think people should be when they're older". So, to get away from this, I'll talk about something actually related to MoS, and no longer respond to the stupid age stuff unless it really needs a reply.

General Zod seems lame. I wasn't super impressed by Smallville's Zod (or his storyline) but he was still better than the guy in MoS, who looks like Superman (or Jor El, for that matter) should be able to take him out with both hands tied behind their back and blindfolded. The fact that he's sending garbled messages reminds me of the villain in that horrible JLA TV show pilot for some reason, although thats probably just me. Also, the action scenes in all of these clips are not impressing me. They'll probably be better than the stupid action scenes in the Nolan batman movies, but I'm not impressed by the generic (not bad, but nothing special) CGI stuff they've shown. It doesn't help that he doesn't seem to have anyone special to fight. Just an alien invasion that looks like an Avengers rip off, and probably a few stupid kryptonian fights. Atleast if they had an actual supervillain, like brainiac or Metallo, there would be something possibly interesting for him to fight.

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^You've made it clear that you don't like what you've seen of this film and everything new you see reinforces your view. So why are you still posting here? Do you get off on the attention?

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Nope, I didn't say that at all.

A great deal of what you've posted here isn't "remotely on topic" as regards this movie but has just been general statements about what you like and don't like in movies, so this is a fair continuation of that.

20. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guess what? You won't think like me when you're my age. You'll still think like you.

Of course, that's when you'll have some smartass 22 year old kid telling you that you have no idea what it's like to be 22 and to "stop telling me I'll be like you when I'm your age!" Seriously. It's happened in every generation and it'll continue until the end of time.

In fact, it's happening right now. :lol:

Back on topic, in my opinion if you don't think you'll like this Man of Steel thing you shouldn't go to see it. It'll be out on video in a few months anyway, so you can save your money for whatever you spend your money on and rag on this movie when you see it free on tv.

But who knows? You might like it after all.