The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

You fool, it's obviously her sister ship, 1702 built under the Pacific in case of emergencies :p

2. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The nacelle is pretty severely foreshortened by perspective in that shot, which is throwing a lot of people off, but I have no doubt it's the same Enterprise from the last film.

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still don't see why some think that the beauty shot of a starship rising form the water would be wasted on anything other than the Enterprise.

It reminds me how back in the day, when we saw the 2009 trailers, some were saying that it wasn't the Enterprise in the shipyard being built on Earth.

4. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Now you've gone and spoiled it by talking sense :)

5. Pondslider

Pondslider Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well people are pretty certain it's not the Enterprise crashing. So two ships end up in water?

6. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Good trailer. After seeing this, the Into Darkness name makes sense. They are doing Heart of Darkness.

Startrekolypse Now. Luckily, no one made Cumberbun gain two hundred pounds and shave his head.

7. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

It'll undoubtedly be the best beauty shot of something coming out of the water since Ursula Andress in "Dr. No".

8. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes. At least two.
    It's not the Enterprise crashing at the end. Different situations and scenes.

9. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

I pretty sure the aft end is different.

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The Enterprise is seen emerging from an entire ocean, landmass is visible, but many many miles away in the distance. The trailer also shows Kirk and Sulu in the middle of an ocean, on a large forest of red algae. Both imply an alien world and a controlled dive/surface.

The other ship is not the Enterprise, has a very different hull shape, and crashes into San Francisco bay surronded by the Earth buildings we see earlier in the trailer. She's also a good bit smaller than the Enterprise, and the trailer scenes with the onboard firefight and tilted sets are similar to, but somewhat different from, the Enterprise sets, implying it's another vessel.

And it's about...two years later in universe? the Enterprise can't have one minor refit to her nacelles in that time?

11. MasuPu'a

MasuPu'a Lieutenant Red Shirt

A valid point. Putting that much effort into the shot and including in the trailer does mean that this ship is important. So I am guessing that it is either the Enterprise, or perhaps it is the villain's ship/WMD.

It sort of looks like there are nacelles there, but the rest of the ship looks a bit too squashed looking to be the Enterprise. It's a little hard to tell with all the water, beyond that it is some sort of starship.

Or maybe it's the freakin Nautilus and the villain is Captain Nemo.

12. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

Perhaps it's that Terra Prime guy.

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

What if that scene with the hands is just some passing moment of no great significance in the film and JJ just ended that trailer with it to have some fun?

14. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Kirk and Spock get high and feel up the partition walls together?

15. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Abrams! You plagiarist... :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

I took that into account. Foreshortening still doesn't account for a complete lack of downward swoop on the engine fin. Plus the glowy thing at the back of the nacelle is higher than the run off at the front. If this were the original engines, sure, foreshortening *might* account for such elevations....but given how huge the front is now, I don't think it could. Also, the wall of water is pretty solid until a certain point, and then you can see the water moving behind the nacelle.

See below

[​IMG]

I think Mad Man 1701 built a 3D model....Maybe we can get some renders from this angle.

From the official synopsis:
    "has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis."

Again, based on this, and the limited info in the trailer, we don't know how many starships are dropped from orbit. Given the epic scale of movie Trek now, it could be many more than two and would also be an epic blow to Starfleet as well as making each falling ship a weapon of mass destruction if it hit a populated area.

17. Worfmonger

Worfmonger Commander Red Shirt

I'm definitely teased. YAY!

It looks like to me the ship that's crashing into the water has taken some damage; it appears that the port nacelle is either burning or glowy, possibly from atmospheric friction or weapons fire.

18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

"What's this stuff?"

"It's plastic."

"Ah."

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Honestly, why spend millions of dollars on an epic scene for the NCC-One-Seven-Oh-Don't-Mind-Me-I'm-A-Stand-In?

Really?

20. beamMe

beamMe Commodore