Was Ben in Lower Decks Guinan's son?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Morpheus 02, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was just watching TNG "Lower Decks on BBC America (why is it on BBC America? One Brit qualifies a series?).

The character of Ben in 10 Forward, in his mannerisms and how he acts, seems a whole lot like Guinan.

I think he does a great job with the character, but it soooo feels like Guinan in the way he coaches people into talking to each other...the way Guinan does it.

It's a shame we never see him again...not even on DS9.

2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ Would've been a great twist, even in a novel.

As far as BBCA running the show, at least it's on somewhere. Though with the blu-rays coming out, I've been avoiding watching it there.

They are perpetually stuck in the S4-S6 cycle it seems.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The lines were originally written for Guinan, but Whoopi was suddenly unavailable.

There was an intention, in the early planning of DS9, that Guinan's son might be imprisoned there, this giving the writers an opening to use Guinan on that series. Ultimately, they ended up with Martus Mazar, who used his El-Aurian talents (and canonizing the name of Guinan's species) to cheat at Quark's.

4. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Marina Sirtis also has British ancestry.

I remember an interview she did, and talked about the London premiere of one of the TNG films that the Queen attended, where she & Patrick Stewart had to bow/curtsy or whatever to her out of respect & such.

5. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This was a very successful character and was well played by Bruce Beatty. I would have liked to see more of this character... but he was introduced ten episodes before the end of the series, so there was no time left...

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

No, she is English by birth, with Greek ancestry. She was born in London and grew up in England, although she has now taken on American nationality.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really? Wouldn't that partly defeat the purpose of the episode? Ben, like the rest of them, was a 'lower decks' character. Isn't that the point of all this?

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It wasn't the original point. The point was for Guinan to do her usual listening-to-problems shtick. When Whoopi was unavailable, the writers decided to add one more "lower decks" character to the mix, thus strengthening the script's theme.

I believe this anecdote is reported in the Asherman "TNG Companion", but I heard it from Richard Arnold at an Aussie convention before that edition came out.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I think it was for the best that Guinan wasn't in this episode. Her presence would have definitely overshadowed the Lower Decks characters.

10. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the correction.

:techman:

11. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Larry Nemecek, not Asherman's.

12. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

That would have been an interesting move indeed, but it wasn't what was planned. As some have said, the TNG Companion says that he was shoehorned in when Whoopi wasn't available.

However, the DS9 producers did originally conceive Martus Mazur from the episode Rivals to be Guinan's wayward son, but this was lost during production. They wanted him to be a recurring character, but the episode was a stinker so he was quietly dropped.