TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 21 2014, 07:52 AM   #1261
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
I recently realized that between Netflix streaming, Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus, I have access to the entire "Key to Time" season. It was going to be my next venture into Classic Who, but some of the comments here (particularly about "The Power ofKroll) make me wonder if it's worthwhile. Opinions?
The Key to Time is absolutely worth it. This is the first time we meet a Time Lady who isn't just a forgettable guest character - Romana is a recent Academy graduate who is centuries younger than the Doctor and full of the kind of self-confidence that acing her courses gives her, but she lacks practical life experience. The Doctor is skeptical of how helpful she'll be in the task the White Guardian has set for him, so they clash pretty much right away. The season is not only about the two of them accomplishing the quest for the six segments of the Key to Time, it's also about getting to know each other and coming to a place of mutual respect, friendship, and trust (remember, the Doctor isn't fond of other Time Lords since they've always tried to either spy on him, order him around, or use him to perform some task they don't want to get their own hands dirty doing).

I started watching this story arc with the second one, The Pirate Planet. I have to admit, I found it bizarre, but realized that part of the problem was that I just didn't understand Douglas Adams' take on Doctor Who (I had yet to see or read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy). Stones of Blood is excellent, with a terrific guest character (Professor Amelia Rumford). The Androids of Tara is a decent story. The Power of Kroll's problem, at least for me, is that the technical aspects of the episode are just really bad. This is the worst of the 6 stories, in my opinion, but still tolerable. I'd watch it over some of the other Tom Baker-era shows (ie. Pyramids of Mars or Talons of Weng-Chiang, neither of which I like). The Armageddon Factor is definitely worth watching, and we're introduced to Lalla Ward, who goes on to play the second incarnation of Romana when she regenerates at the beginning of the next story, Destiny of the Daleks. Eventually I got to see The Ribos Operation in which Romana is initially introduced, and found it an interesting way to introduce a new companion, along with a decent story.
Thanks!
Old December 21 2014, 01:47 PM   #1262
DWF
Vice Admiral

Lakenheath 72 wrote: View Post
I haven't read the text commentary yet. I have been listening to the commentary. From what I have learned, Doctor Who had two major issues that aren't discussed often:

1. BBC believed that theatre dramas were superior to anything produced on the telly.
2. Doctor Who was being influenced by the success of Star Wars.

When in this situation, the franchise was making an attempt at being Star Wars-like with a reduced budget, while working for an entity that didn't see its value.
They weren't really major issues, they were brought by Jonathan Powell and Michael Grade and really they didn't like Doctor Who so the first chance they had ot take it off the air they did. But we have Star Wars to thank for Doctor Who being re-introduced to America.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2014, 04:28 AM   #1263
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

I just finished watching The Deadly Assassin. What a great serial that was!
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2014, 04:39 AM   #1264
DWF
Vice Admiral

The Curse Of Fenric the movie version, I really like this version most telelvised versions are edited down but with the added scenes and music you can get a better picture of the story Ian Briggs wanted to tell.
Old December 25 2014, 05:39 PM   #1265
mythme
Commodore

the Krotons

Finally got around to watching this one. I wasn't in a rush from what I've heard about it, but I found it wasn't bad at all. Its a little slow moving in spots and the Krotons themselves got a little irriating, but the Doctor, Zoe and Jamie were great. They were all written very much in character, remembering that Zoe is a genius and Jamie is a "primative". Troughton also has a few very funny moments in it. Actually, out of all the Doctors, #2 has made me laugh out loud the most. Probably why he's my favorite.
Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM   #1266
DWF
Vice Admiral

The Mark Of The Rani, I recently got the 50th anniversary CD and I really got into the track for Mark of The Rani and I had to seeit again. I've always like the story and not just for Jonathan Gibb's music, the costumes and the introduction of The Rani were also pluses for the story.

Dalek Invasion Of Earth, it's still a highly entertaining story and I've always liked how the Dcotor and companions seperately made their way to the mine.
Old Today, 12:27 AM   #1267
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

The Face of Evil. Very good debut episode for Leela.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote