Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, if there was a secret screening it would presumably have been just the surviving episodes, so I don't think that matters. But no copies suitable for a screening of any kind existed for Enemy until mid-August, or for Web until days before the iTunes release in October... unless those involved are being deceptive about the timeline for some reason.

Either way, the underlying point was that the BBC knew the episodes existed in June, when they issued the statement that some interpreted as a denial. Of course, nothing that was said was technically a lie (the initial statement said "we cannot confirm any new finds," not that none had occurred, and the spokewsoman's follow-up was hedged with "as far as I'm aware" and the like), and the BBC has every right to be cagey about its plans for exploiting a given commercial property, even if the property in question is one some fans feel really, really entitled to full disclosure about.

2. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

To me it just seems irresponsible. The BBC isn't supposed to be a money making operation anyway. That said, you'd expect them to take the responsible approach and confirm/deny and not be misleading in the process. That's *not* asking too much.

I believe Watling and Hines. It's possible some things got scrunched together. Like, maybe Watling learned about the episodes prior to June but didn't see it until after. There was a delay between when she learned about them and when she saw the screen.

Mr Awe

3. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Debs's memory is notoriously scatterbrained - if you tell her she did something or was at something a while back (that you just made up) she'll totally remember having done it/been at it...

4. Mr Awe

^ I can believe that having had a lengthy conversation with her. But, Frazer confirmed it. Of course, he could've just been being nice. But, I believe that they were aware of the episodes long before they became common knowledge with perhaps some uncertainty about when they actually saw them.

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

But, again, part of the deal, seems to be not revealing what isn't in their possession, so, it's not up to them to disclose what they are negotiating getting into their hands. It appears they weere gagged by Morris (Hence Morris making the announcement for Enemy and Web, and not the BBC)

6. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, the release of missing episodes on home media is a function of BBC Worldwide, which is a money-making enterprise. More to the point, we're talking about the hardcore fans of a television show. The relationship to any public good is so distant that "responsible" and "irresponsible" don't really enter into it. Some fans are really worked up and want the BBC to undo the confusion in their minds. Well, that happens with the new series every year, when people want to know what's been commissioned, what's the schedule, where are the trailers, etc. But that doesn't make it irresponsible of the BBC not to time its announcements to those few hundred people.

7. Mr Awe

Then Morris should be clarifying. He's starting to come off like a jack ass to be honest. I respect his right to earn money for what he's found, but he should treat the fans with respect. That doesn't mean telling us everything necessarily, but enough to know whether to expect more or not, maybe some specifics, etc.

But, delibrate obfuscation is the wrong thing.

"A few hundred people" :guffaw:

8. Sindatur

Eh, this fan feels quite respected that he went out, got at least 2 Serials Completed (Or at least almost completed if Web doesn't get released complete) and returned them to us. I'm not really sure what Universe that is disprectful in, but, not the Universe I live in.

If Marco Polo (or anything else) comes back, we will know, when everyone involved is prepared and wants us to know. I don't understand why some people consider that disrespectful or a slap in the face. I see no difference between that, and a kid complaining about not getting a run down of the cookies he'll be given over the next year or two by his parents or babysitter :shrug:

9. Mr Awe

^ Well good for you. However, some of us aren't sheep and don't like to be mislead via a dribble of information.

Mr Awe

10. Sindatur

How does that make me a sheep? He owes me nothing. He's not my slave, or even my employee. He's a fan who has devoted time to regaining lost episodes for us. Why does he owe you anything?

Did you demand a list of cookies and treats parents and babysitters gave you as a child? When did you gain ownership of the Doctor Who Franchise?

11. Mr Awe

I didn't say you were, just that I'm not.

People and organizations in general should be upfront, straightforward. Releasing some actual information to quell the rumors is NOT asking too much.

Because I think some good solid facts would quell the rumors, you think I feel entitled?! :rolleyes:

Mr Awe

12. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

The obvious conclusion at this point is that they like the rumors... either to keep people distracted or because they enjoy watching the fen chatter about it too.

13. Mr Awe

Well, it has become practically a spectator sport around here!

14. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Whatever. :rolleyes:

15. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

...actually, a pretty impractical spectator sport. :p

16. Mr Awe

In my book, spectator sports are by definition impractical because you can *only* watch.

Mr Awe

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, not only, because there has to be someone actually performing the sport in front of the spectators.

18. Mr Awe

^ For the athletes, it's not a spectator sport. It's all relative.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But "spectator sport" doesn't mean "a sport of which the speaker is a spectator." It means a sport played in an arena-type setting that allows a crowd of spectators to observe it in person, something like baseball or tennis or wrestling as opposed to something like hang gliding or cross-country skiing or scuba diving.

20. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

It's only a spectator sport if you don't get involved.