what do people want star trek 3 to be like

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by tmosler, Jun 17, 2013.

1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

That would certainly rid the world of Kirk/Spock shippers...they'd all spontaneously combust!

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Also, the Fan Fiction forum is over here.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Jim, it would be illogical to forfeit you.

4. starwolf76

starwolf76 Cadet Newbie

A variation on the Doomsday Machine would be cool for the third movie. The "machine" is an organic being inside its armor (idea stolen from a fanfic called "Dies Iries" I can't find). Some of the characters explore the being, "Fantastic Voyage" style. A question would be if the being should be killed, even though it has eaten populated worlds in the past and will do so in the future. The standard "Moby-Dick" elements are there, with the idea that Moby-Dick will EAT Nantucket if it isn't killed.

Character-wise, adding Joanna McCoy in some way will give McCoy more to do. I'd like to see M'Ress and Arex as part of the crew, even as bridge characters who don't say much.

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Try looking for "Dies Irae," maybe? That title refers to a hymn typically part of the Catholic requiem mass and translates as "day of wrath".

"Dies Iries," on the other hand sounds like it might be a what-if based on the premise that the Doomsday machine(s) not only looked like gigantic space spliffs but were created and sent out for the purpose of "blazing" a trail of good feelings throughout the galaxy.

6. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Did you ever watch that teen soap called the OC. Now I think of it kirk and spock are like Ryan Atwood and Seth cohen. they did dump their girlfriends for each other.

sure marissa and summer were always there for ryan and seth (summer and seth even got married at the end of the series) but Ryan and Seth were the most important people in each other lives. Seth even dumped his own parents for Ryan.

I do see such behaviour with kirk and spock. I just hope if they go done that part. kirk doesn't get carol pregnant only to came back after his road trip with spock asking for her hand in marriage.

oh who am I kidding...Trek is sci-fi.

7. CorporalClegg

Exactly.

In the real world, Kirk and Spock are totally bunking up.

8. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Am sure they are bunking up but not in a gay way, I just cant imagine kirk not sleeping with women. As for Spock, there is always live after uhura....Am sure Spock will run into leia and nurse chapel at some point in this timeline.

9. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Of course internal consistency is important within an individual story. It's not as important to be consistent with the myriad other visions of Star Trek created by other people over the years, especially when those other visions already hopelessly contradict each other. I wouldn't expect a producer of a new Sherlock Holmes project to be forced somehow to include the continuity of the original Conan Doyle tails, the Basil Rathbone movies in which Holmes fights Nazis, and the animated series SHERLOCK HOLMES IN THE 22ND CENTURY.

Star Trek isn't real. It's more important to me to experience a good story than to maintain a delusion that Star Trek is real. That said, I didn't like the last two movies, but not because of I thought the films breached some imaginary continuity. I just didn't care for the stories. For the next movie, I hope we get a more imaginative story than we got the last two times.

And again, there is no smooth continuity running through all the series and movies. There are separate visions by separate individuals. Nick Meyer's Star Trek cannot be reconciled with Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek. They're two totally different visions. It's interesting to compare and contrast the differing visions, just as it's interesting to compare and contrast, say, Homer's vision of the Greek gods with Hesiod's and with the fifth century BC Athenian playwrights. A very popular part of the Iliad was when Achilles receives his divine armor; no Athenian that I know of ever complained about this contradicting what some other writer established about Achilles being invincible but for his heel. (Goddamn lazy Homer! He obviously doesn't care about the source material!) Sometimes Aphrodite is Zeus's daughter, sometimes a titan, and sometimes she predates the gods.

Part of the fun of having a new producer is to see how Abram's vision is similar or completely different from what came before.

10. geneo

geneo Lieutenant Red Shirt

Oh dear, not the gay in trek thing.

11. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Something completely new and no rehashes or nods to classic Trek movies. I admit I enjoyed Kirk and Spock's switch when compared to events in TWOK, but that will probalby only work once.

12. MrJ

MrJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The next Star Trek movie will be released to coincide with the 50th Anniversary, so a certain amount of fan service is to be expected.

I haven't heard any official word on how many of these movies this current team intends to make, but I would guess probably three would be a good number. Hollywood is all about trilogies these days. So I wouldn't be surprised if the next movie is the last of this version. Giving the cast and filmmakers a chance to move on to bigger and better projects.

Using some of the most famous film trilogies as an example. The third film usually heavily calls back the first film. Return of the Jedi had the Rebels attack another Death Star. Spiderman 3 had Spidey going after Uncle Bens Retconned killer. The Dark Knight Rises had the League of Shadows attack Gotham again.

So because of this, Star Trek XIII should take place 3 years into the Enterprises 5 year deep space exploration mission, when war with the Klingons breaks out. The war is especially fast and brutal with the Klingons easily winning every engagement, due to the Klingons having vastly superior weapons. So the Enterprise is sent to find out how the Klingons got so technologically powerful. They discover that after Nero destroyed the Kelvin his ship was captured by Klingons. They studied his ship and reverse engineered the ships weapons and shield technology, and began retrofitting it to their ships.

The Enterprise destroys the Klingon shipyards were their upgraded warships are being built. But not before a massive fleet leaves for Earth. The Enterprise chases after them, and since in this version of Star Trek it only takes a few seconds to travel from Qo'nos to Earth, they get there in a few seconds. But the Klingons quickly overwhelm Starfleet and destroy all of Earths defenses. The Enterprise is badly damaged and all their weapons are destroyed and a few main characters are killed. And thousands of Klingon ships begin carpet bombing Earth, within seconds every major city is destroyed. Big special effects disaster sequence where San Francisco, Paris and London are shown being pulverized by the Klingons Narada enhanced weapons, huge explosions, lots of people getting killed, big Michael Bay style scene. The kind that makes good trailers and gets people into the theatres.

Kirk wants to stay and fight but Spock convinces him to leave as their deaths would serve no logical purpose. So with Earth destroyed the Enterprise limps away (this scene will be an homage to 2009's Star Trek, when the Enterprise leaves Vulcan as it is destroyed)

At some point in the film, either by another expository scene with Old Spock, or some other means, the Enterprise crew discover some type of time travel. Either yet another new method, or a previously used method of time travel. Either way, they realize that with the Earth and Starfleet destroyed the Federation is defeated. The only way to win now is to go back in time and stop the Klingons from getting Neros weapons.

But before they can do whatever it is that will send them back in time the Klingons find them, space battle ensues, more main characters are killed, the Enterprise is destroyed, and only Kirk, Spock and Uhura (because she has clearly replaced McCoy in the Big Three in this version) survive. The Klingons then kill Uhura, Spock sacrifices himself so Kirk can go back in time, which he does, but not before he is gravely wounded. Kirk, bleeding to death is now aboard Neros ship just as it appeared in front of the Kelvin. Kirk fights his way to the Narada's engine room where he sabotages some thing a ma jig, and the ship blows up, before it fires on the Kelvin. It's debris is pulled back into the black hole leaving no trace of Nero or the Narada. On the Kelvins bridge Captain Robau and crew are like "what the hell just happened?" They leave a probe to study the black hole and then continue on their original mission.

"32 years later" appears on the screen we see a fly by of the Enterprise (TOS version with TMP level of hull detail). Interior shot of nuKirk and nuSpock wearing the Where No Man Has Gone Before mustard coloured turtlenecks, playing 3D chess in a shot for shot, line for line, remake of the opening scene from WNMHGB. As they leave for the transporter room the Alexander Courage's Star Trek fan fare plays. Cut to an exterior flyby shot of the Enterprise, "And The Adventure Continues..." (or words to that effect) appears on screen and credits.

That's what the next Star Trek movie should be. Leaving the next team of film makers free to continue, remake or reboot as they wish.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  13. CorporalClegg

:confused: Did I miss something?

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That's when Paramount evidently wants the film to be released. But whether that's practical is anyone's guess?

15. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Star trek 3 has been out for 29 years...

16. MrJ

MrJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It does seem overly ambitious, as they would have to start preproduction pretty much now, in order to have a summer 2016 release. But I don't really care about any new Trek movies anymore. As long as they keep releasing TNG on Bluray, and then all seven seasons of DS9 I'll be happy. That's the extent of my Star Trek interest anymore. :sigh:

17. BillJ

I love Star Trek and if its on, I'll watch it. Even if it is Deep Space Nine or Voyager.

18. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

When I look back now. Neither Uhura or Bones is among the big 3. Scotty was the third main character in STiD.

19. BillJ

I want it to be entertaining.

20. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I was one of the people ranting loudly and obnoxiously, because I think TWOK is overrated, and that Old!Khan's supposed awesomeness is a purely informed ability.

I loved STID, I loved BC's Khan.

So...moral of the story, they can pick up stuff I rant about, as long as they turn it into something cool. I want a ST film to be entertaining and well-made and well-acted. The particulars are not that important to me, it turns out.

Well, of course, I am a sucker for villains that are both awesome and good-looking (one of the reasons I always cheer on the T-1000), so if I'm going to wish for something in particular, that's it. :p

Seriously though, some actual space exploration would be good.