Tuvoks Hair... ridiculous

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by StarTrekSlut, Mar 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Probably because some people think Klingons are "ghetto" anyway. But in TOS, we did see both fair- and dark-skinned Klingons, although the latter was due to white actors in dark makeup. The TOS movies introduced us to some olive (or swarthy) skinned Klingons in the same fashion, though.

2. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I think this is what the OP was pointing out, though perhaps he could have chosen his words a bit more carefully.

Oh, and I never bought Robin Curtis as Saavik. With that '80s mane of loose curls, she looked like a contemporary Earthwoman with pointed ears.

3. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Being an offensive bigot. Generally frowned upon in these parts.

4. Peter Q Taggart

Peter Q Taggart Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

"affirmative action police"? I'm guessing you must worship at the altar of Limbaugh and O'Rielly.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can we keep comments like that in TNZ where they belong?

6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

You, sir, are utterly clueless or self-deluding if you don't or can't see how a post with language such as you've used is offensive. The fact that you try to head off contrary opinions by labeling those who have them "political correctness nazi's" <sic> is, in a word, pathetic.

7. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Personally, I was happy to see the way Russ looked as Tuvok. For me, it seems illogical that the population of an entire planet, an entire culture, would all sport the same hairstyle. I am glad they didn't perch a Moe Howard mop on top of Tim Russ's head.

I find it tiring to read opening posts written by individuals who think that starting their premise off by ranting and raving and sprinkling their comments with offensive terms (and the big F word!) is supposed to convince us that they should sit at the grown-ups' table and be taken seriously.

I would vote for the 'or something' option.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  8. StarTrekSlut

StarTrekSlut Lieutenant Junior Grade

Case in point. I look at michael dorn and i see WORF a KLINGON..

I look at Tim Russ and i see a half arsed black guy with some kinda vulcan getup..

My point is, i feel CHEATED

-crim

9. StarTrekSlut

Scott, I appreciate what you are saying. I really didnt mean to offend and maybe you are right i should have chosen my words more carefully. I was only trying to point out a flaw in the execution of an idea. I do apologize to those ive offended.

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I posit that you need to START considering your words more carefully.

11. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    this thread has been very funny. I can't tell if the original poster is being ironic or not, which is one of those internet rules that without the usual conversational cues of voice tone, expression, etc., it's hard to tell irony/sarcasm from the literal.

Anyway, Tuvok was a great character and Tim Russ is awesome.

12. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Would it make a difference to anyone that Russ the "half arsed black guy" played a Klingon in a DS9 eps?

Was Russ convincing then or was he still just a black guy?

13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I don't think ironic is the proper term here. From this thread and the Janeway hair bun thread, both original postings appear to be deliberately offensive and provocative.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

This thread is making those people who freaked out at T'pol's original un-pointy eyebrows seem rational.

15. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

^ In other words, mission accomplished?

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was no irony, but there was no malice either, just a little ignorance followed by stubbornness which is persisting.

I have more experience with African Africans than African Americans, and even then I have considerable more experience with South Africans who are really no help in this... But a bowl cut which my Avatar is all about rocking is about keeping straight hair out of your eyes. Afro's don't grown down? For Tuvok to have a bowl cut he would have to use a flat-iron to straighten his hair every morning which is ridiculousness only women go through because they're all stone cold masochists when it comes to fashion.

17. StarTrekSlut

Which DS9 episode are you referring to?

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Do you also have a problem with Worf being played by a black actor? :rolleyes:

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. StarTrekSlut

Dude ..uh... what?? How did we go from "Tuvok looks like a Motel6 Vulcan" to your "straight iron hair every morning, vs bowl cut, african american-yada yada-and-lets-throw-africa into it for good measure" nonsense rant?? Tim Russ's "natural hair" looks ridiculous for THIS role! Marina Sirtis "natural hair" looked ridiculous on TNG season 1.. and they FIXED it with successive seasons....

Why could the same not be possible with Mr Russ? No one wants to be distracted by ridiculousness while we are trying to focus on STAR TREK. Its like going to a 3D movie...

... and dont get me started about that receeding hairline....

capece?

-crim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.