How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The show was renewed for two seasons at once; I would assume it would end at that point.

I'm praying that next season ends with the Barney marriage and the season cliffhanger is Ted meeting the Mother, so that the entire final season stars the Mother and how they fall in love.

I am going to be extremely pissed if they don't introduce her until the final episode. I want to their relationship, how they get together, not just how they meet!

2. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree, but I don't think we're gonna see her till the credits roll on the series finale.

3. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Having Barney marry Robbin makes the entire series at least have a point to it. If it's Robin's wedding where Ted meets the Mother, then it makes some kind of sense to have started the entire story of 'how I met your mother' from the day he met Robin. Otherwise, why in the world has he been telling this story from years before he met the Mother?

I've been totally in love with this show since Episode 1 and I'm torn as to weather we should meet the mother a year before the show ends (which would actually be kinda confusing and probably make them loose viewers for the final year) or on the last episode. A happy comprimise would probably be a hour or 90 minute long finale that shows them meeting and then a quick flash through their relationship, wedding, and the rest of thier lives.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Well, we know Ted is a long winded self-preening wind bag :lol:

But he's not just telling the story of how he met their mother, but the story of how he grew up into the person that their mother fell in love and his relationship with their tight circle of friends.

5. The Fatman

The Fatman Captain Captain

As to Barney's wife... I'm saying I hope it's Robin, but think it will be Norah.

I think the much more interesting question is whether or not the wife is Barney's half-sister Carly. We didn't meet her because she was "at college". That would fit with her being Cindy's roommate and was in the Econ class that Ted crashed.

6. ryan123450

Exactly. And then Barney and Robin really would be Uncle Barney and Aunt Robin. Of course the "aunt" and "uncle" rule would still have to apply to Marshall and Lily, but still.

7. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

They'd be Uncle Barney and Aunt Robin even if there's no relation, and if they don't end up together. Dunno if it's different in different parts of the country, but I've got a couple pairs of "aunts and uncles" that have no actual relation, just close family friends...

8. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Having caught up with the season this weekend, I have to say that this show is turning into the sitcom version of "Lost," and not in a good way.

Not only are we getting flash forwards and flash backwards, but they keep adding twist after twist to keep the show, and the mystery, going and the thing is starting to collapse under the weight of its own storytelling.

Also, I hate to be a wet blanket--and I know this is something of a sitcom/movie trope--but in real life if a couple is trying to get pregnant it seems the height of irresponsibility to have one spouse (previously established as the family's major earner while the other one is a compulsive shopper) quit his job and end up unemployed for at least six months (in a bad economy for legal jobs for young attorneys)...especially when the effects of unemployment on a marriage are devastating in real life.

Not sure I'm coming back next season as much as I like looking at Robin.

9. ryan123450

I love the flashforwards, and all the other interesting storytelling twists. There's no way I'd bail after 6 years of loving these characters and waiting for the resolution to their arcs.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

But that's the title of the show.

11. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

...and I notice that you have a link to a piece about "Lost," in your sig, so I'm not surprised you'd feel this way.

12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Season 7 started last night with two episodes. I didn't know the show was back and missed them, but managed to get ahold of the episodes and watched the first one. Looks like they're going to drag out the Robin or Norah bit for a while.

13. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I don't know. There was more about that in the second episode.

Looks very much like they definitively went with Nora. But who knows.

And the muffin lady is not the Mother, is she? I can't keep up with all the supposed clues and whatnot.

eta: although I suppose the "the bride wants to speak with you" points towards Robin

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  14. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

No.. "muffin lady" is Victoria back from season 1 whom Ted met at a wedding. It has been stated in the show that Ted met his future wife at a wedding but Victoria can't be it due to other facts "disqualifying" her. Had to check though via Wikipedia :lol:

Liked the season premire quite a bit.. the dance scene with Barney and Robin was amazing including a song from my youth to which we all rocked back then and , at least to me, Robin aka Cobie Smulders seems to get hotter each season :drool:

Bring it on season 7 (and damn bring on the Mother finally!)

15. AliciaD496

AliciaD496 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kinda like my story with Two and Half Men I haven't really watched HIMYM regularly until Fox started airing it in syndication last fall, so I may not be totally familiar with the more recent plots but I know a bit about the characters.

I was a little suspicious when Lily said 'the bride needs you' because I doubt Nora would want to talk with Ted, unlike Robin. Perhaps I was a little too distracted during the first episode or I missed something obvious...but was Barney's wedding a flash-forward that they may follow up with later and Punchy's wedding was the 'current' time? The second episode didn't seem to follow the first one unless that was the case. There does seem to be a pretty good case for Barney's bride being Robin and this other girl is a red herring. I'm not sure what to make of Victoria's return, although it could make things complicated with Robin and Ted as well (wasn't he dating Victoria when Robin finally decided to give him a chance?). Also...why is Robin can break up with Ted and not have lingering feelings for him, while the break up between her and Barney was even worst yet she still has lingering feelings? She'd be better off with Ted, although we know she's not 'the mother' since she's been referred to as Aunt Robin by old Ted for a while now.

Anyway, if it weren't for the time slot conflict with House I'd definitely watch this show on a regular basis. Oh well.

16. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Yes, Punchy's wedding is current time and Barney's wedding takes place at a later date. I'd call it a flashforward, but the whole show is a flashback.

And as for Victoria, here's a fun fact... She would have been written in as the mother back in season 1 had the show been cancelled.

17. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

The first 3-4 seasons were on the cancellation bubble every year, so they've had a backup plan for most of the seasons in case they found out they were being canned.

18. ryan123450

Poor Barney...

I can't wait for this to work out. Barney even passed up on the oppurtunity to end up married to a girl who would apparently probably end up turning a blind eye to indiscretion after indiscretion, something which really shows the depth of his love for Robin. He has grown so much, I can't wait for the moment they reveal him walking down the aisle toward Robin. That will be the season finale moment, I assume.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, that's awful.

Being with a women who doesn't care that you are scummy on the inside, and suspects that you are nothing but scummy on the inside and expects you to stay that way your entire life if not actually decline into an even scummier state of existence.

It's sort of an insult more so than a hallpass.

20. ryan123450

The old Barney would have jumped all over that. Being in an open marriage to an incredibly hot woman who he's crazy about. That would have been his dream. He's grown and wants to grow even more.

Since Ted's story had to stall out by neccessity for the show to last this long, Barney has become the most interesting character.