Starship Valiant

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Phantassm, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Phantassm

Phantassm Vice Admiral Admiral

Greetings all,
    just to let everyone know. Filming has been completed on Starship Valiant and we are in the post production stage with a release date of June 27th, 2014 where the short film will be premiering at the SoonerCon Convention here in Midwest City, Oklahoma at 1:PM-2:PM. There will be a Q/A session with cast and crew before the viewing and afterwards. The film will be appreaing on the NET on July 1st, 2014. We are very proud of our little film and hope that you all will support us and enjoy. Thanks all.
    - Michael L. King
    Starship Valiant: Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Starship-Valiant/151123951763551

2. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

How long will the short film be?

3. Phantassm

Though we don't have the exact time down yet Barb, I would say roughly 20-25 minutes. I'll give you the exact details when the edit is complete and approved.

4. Barbreader

Ah, 20-25 minutes. Not very short. There are filmmakers who consider that a full length episode. For some a 'short film' is under 5 minutes.

5. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

Looking forward to it, Michael.

Sir Rhosis

6. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Most definitely!

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

For those interested, many film festivals consider a "short subject" to be anything from 1 to 40 minutes" and a "feature" to be anything over about 65 minutes. In fact, a film of a length between 40 and 60 minutes may be tough to get into many film festivals because of the way they create show blocks and anything of an in between length may be too long to go into a shorts program and too short to be shown as a feature.

8. Phantassm

...Really? I was not aware of that. Under 5 minutes would definitely be a "short" film.

9. Maurice

Fan filmmakers? I don't know anyone who considers any film under 20 minutes anything but a short. The categories are generally short, featurette (rare) and feature.

10. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Perhaps in the fan film world, yes. But it nonetheless does not omit the fact that in the world of actual, legitimate filmmaking, what Maurice describes is entirely accurate.

11. Maurice

Just to be clear "episode" in film/TV terms means "segment" rather than having some length connotation. A show can have a 20 second episode and it's still an episode.

Traditionally "running time" in TV is referred to by the time slot duration occupied by the show (and commercials), e.g. half-hour sitcom or hour-long drama or 3-hour telemovie, etc. "Short subject" and "feature length" refers the running time of films intended for theatrical or other exhibition. Star Wars Episode V is an "episode" and a "feature", after all.

I suspect the lingo will change somewhat in the coming years due to streaming media. :)

12. Barbreader

Not everyone who does fan films is a professional filmmaker in real life. Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS7bnchX8F4 (9:08). More extreme case in point: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/44.html . The second group insists many of their under 2 minute releases are full episodes. Even for fan films this is odd, but plenty of people who have nothing whatsoever to do with film make the odd fan film here and there. This is a first release from a new group. I assume NOTHING. I classify the first as a short, and the second (because of the total amount released) as a series, but the filmmakers make no such classification that I know about.

13. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Good for them! But just because you classify them one way, it does not follow that your interpretation lines up with what is done in the professional world.

The point is that there's already a system in place to define what length constitutes what kind of nomenclature is applied to it, and the fact that most people in the fan film community either don't know/understand that system. It's true, the line is becoming ever more blurred, particularly with how loosely the terms "film," "short," "episode," et al are bandied about in the fan film community.

Regardless, there are very clear parameters for these things in the professional world.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  14. Maurice

Again, as "episode" means "part of a serialized story" a film of any length can be an episode.

15. Phantassm

16. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

That looks terrific!!!

17. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Looking forward to it, Mr. King.;)

18. Phantassm

Thank you sir.

19. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A nice dramatic trailer (someone actually set fire to the bridge consoles? ) Michael King's turn to shine...

Today should be the day its released. Hit me!!

20. Barbreader

They are still saying it will be uploaded today... but that's probably Ok. time, (central time) and it could be very late Ok time!