DOLLHOUSE 2x11-Getting Closer Review,Commentary,Grade,SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jan 8, 2010.

?

How do you grade Dollhouse ep2x11: Getting Closer

Poll closed Jul 27, 2010.
  1. EXCELLENT

45 vote(s)
    76.3%
  2. ABOVE AVERAGE

11 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. AVERAGE

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. BELOW AVERAGE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. POOR

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Boyd=Keyser Soze

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So my girlfriend, after seeing Bennet get her brains blown out, starts reading her book at the same time as watching the show. (?!) I come out from the other room at the end of the episode going on about Boyd and she didn't even notice the reveal! Sigh :p

3. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

How can ya IM (or even post) while watching a TV show and still enjoy the show?
    I've never understood that.

4. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

^Commercials.

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

On top of Dushku sneaking in her cameo role for her boyfriend, did I catch her saying Halverson could "kill you with her brain" ? :lol:

6. StarshipDefiant

StarshipDefiant Captain Captain

I had actually missed that at first, but yes, that was said and Bennett also claimed that "It's very crowded!"

7. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

You do both... I've watched TV while reading homework, preparing for a paper, texting, and looking at facebook. Still enjoy all of it.

8. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

The only thing that confused me was Bennett's motivation for blowing up Rossum and then deciding to work for them again.

9. StarshipDefiant

She likely agreed that what they were doing was wrong, or she wanted to have Caroline liker her (I get the impression Bennett is a very lonely and miserable person). After she was left under the rumble, Bennett's mind twisted it to being betrayed and left for dead. As for working for them...Caroline was against them, perhaps she saw this as a way to fight Caroline, figuring that one day, the two would cross paths again.

10. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

And, hey, who knows. There may also have been brainwashing involved.

11. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the first season, my votes were probably below average overall. What happened to this show that it got so good this season? It's been excellent after excellent lately.

12. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

Yeah, seriously. If it had started out this way..

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The events of S1 should have only been like the first 3-4 episodes. Of course it was originally going to be that way; Ballard meets/fights Echo in the unaired pilot which didn't happen until ep6. It was those damn stand-alones that ruined it. The show was practically an anthology.

14. StarshipDefiant

This is why I am against network interference, not just because of the atypical reasons (I know they wont stop interfering), but because it's a "Cool premise...but let's do it this way..." and later its "This aint getting any return...it's axed"

*sigh*

15. StarshipDefiant

I must apologize for double posting, but I just suddenly had an epiphany...

I just figured out what Safe Haven is...Caroline Farrell's mountain retreat. It just came to me a few minutes ago when promo images for Epitaph Two wandered into my mind. I cannot believe I am just now figuring this out. How sad. It's so obvious and clear... (to me, anyway). That is... if I am right (and I think I am),

16. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I read it. :) I hate it when people post in threads without reading what others have said first.

That was my impression of her reason for killing Bennet. This is one of those shows that I really wish I had waited for the DVDs for, because I lose so much detail in the breaks, and trying to remember & put all the little threads together in my head - my brain just won't hold onto all that info at once anymore. It never occurred to me after the Boyd reveal that Claire was somehow under his control, or that he had anything to do with her killing Bennet. I'm still not convinced of that, but it's all still a blur.

Thank you for explaining. :devil:

Seriously, thanks for coming in and telling us why. So often the "poor" votes show up and no one backs them up with their reasons, so it's easy to assume they're just drive-by haters instead of people with informed opinions.

Ooh, I was tickled by the brain reference, but the crowded reference went right past me. And I love what someone mentioned earlier, that she died via "bullet in the brain pan - SQUISH!" That's just vintage Joss right there.

I'm still surprised that Ivy didn't end up being a doll/plant/evil minion.

I'm torn between being delighted at all the breathtaking action and confused because it's all happening so fast that I can't process it properly. I'm glad we're getting to have closure, but I feel like we're in hyper-overdrive with all the reveals/deaths/twists, etc. To quote our favorite schizo, "It's getting very very crowded!" :lol:

17. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Here's the one plot point regarding the Boyd reveal that's been bothering me the most: earlier this season, when Adele was in the middle of self-destructing, Boyd is the one who gets her to snap out of it and in no uncertain terms tells her that she needs to get her House back. If he hadn't done that, what would have happened? It must be something that happened because Adele took the House back that would have furthered Rossum's plans. Could it have been only that Boyd/Rossum needed Topher's "instant print" technology? But surely there would have been some less Machiavellian way to acquire it....hmmmm....

18. StarshipDefiant

One of my many theories, is that Boyd isn't in as control as he would either like to be,or Clyde thinks he is. Harding is an evil bastard, that much is certain...something tells me this is more about what Harding and Ambrose is doing, not Boyd. Then again, I could be dead wrong...

19. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I'm very glad that they're accelerating the plot like this. From the first time I heard the premise of the series, I just couldn't fathom how they could sustain it as an ongoing series without a bunch of irrelevant mission-of-the-week eps. Now that it's more of an intensely compressed mini-series, I'm enjoying it a lot more.

For me, the biggest shock in this episode was when Saunders killed Bennett. I totally didn't see that coming and it was probably the 2nd biggest shock death in Joss Whedon history (the 1st being you-know-who in Serenity). It's a shame. I loved her nerd love with Topher.

DeWitt's double-take when Saunders came back was very funny.

Boyd's betrayal came out of nowhere and really reframes the entire thing. It wasn't a total shock to me. It was more like the Senator Perrim reveal earlier in the season. I hadn't expected it at all until about 5 minutes before it happened. But somehow, they telegraph it right before they reveal it. I'm not sure how/why that is.

Still, it ranks among my all time favorite plot twists, but it's still not quite as delicious as the Roswell Season 2 finale.
    When they revealed Tess' true intentions and how Alex really died.
    No one saw it coming and yet it was totally in keeping with what we already knew about the character. You kicked yourself for not figuring it out way sooner. OTOH, this Boyd twist only barely fits into anything established about his personality. I guess it's consistent with how devoted the character was to Echo, even trying to decline a promotion to head of security after Dominic was outed as a spy.

I hope Alpha comes back before the series ends. "Epitaph One" told us that he has a further role to play in developing technology to protect people from remote wipes.

And I want more Dominic. He's one of my favorites.:)

20. StarshipDefiant

Your hope will be fulfilled, actor Reed Diamond has been listed to be in episode 2x12 and 2x13. Alan Tudyk has also been confirmed for 2x13.