Old Star Trek TOS DVD's

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by DoctorZ, Aug 23, 2013.

1. DoctorZ

DoctorZ Ensign Red Shirt

Hello everyone. I'm totally new here and this is my first post, so forgive me if someone else has covered this topic before me.

My desire is to find Star Trek TOS on DVD--the complete series; BUT BEFORE it was edited with all this new computer generated graphics and stuff.

I know back in the early 1990's, they came out with DVD's that had two episodes on each DVD, and eventually covered the entire TV Show. I bought my 13 favorite episodes, but never completed the collection. Now I want to complete this collection.

Does anyone know where I could find this? I've search on Ebay, but no one is selling DVD's that are that old. Everything is the new "boxed set" type of stuff.

The reason I want the first DVD set that came out is because nothing was cut or edited out. It was as each episode actually aired the first time it was shown on TV. This is the MOST important detail for me to have in any TV Show DVD collection!

Thanks for your help.

2. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

First of all a big welcome to the TrekBBS, I hope you´ll enjoy it.

As to your question: AFAIK, the complete DVD sets that are currently available are the "old" versions. Remastered picture and sound, but without the CGI effects. But since I own the blu-ray sets (which feature both versions, BTW) I can´t be 100% certain.
    However, if you´re intent on completing your 2-episodes-per-disc collection, you can still find them easily on amazon.com (used, via marketplace), I just checked.

Mario

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^You're wrong. The most recent DVD box sets of TOS that were released are the re-mastered versions with new CGI as well. You are correct when you say the BR's contain both versions however.

4. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

I stand corrected, like I said I wasn´t sure. Then it may be the best option for DoctorZ to get the two-episode-discs he´s missing via amazon marketplace.

5. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I only have one of the original two-episode DVDs (one is "The Galileo Seven") and if IIRC this release had the production order chronology.

That's probably my biggest issue with the Blu-ray edition. The airdate order was a stupid desire of the network suits and unnecessarily causes discontinuity when watching the episodes. I can't see any historical value or meaning why CBS felt they should go with the broadcast order (at least a stardate order would have been something original and fresh :rolleyes:).

And that paper wrapped BR edition of mine with all the "reconstituted" TOS-R images of the Enterprise simply looks cheap. Does anyone know if somebody like Maxwell Everett did fan-specific covers and inserts for TOS on Blu-ray so I could pimp my edition? Thanks!

Bob

6. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I got the 3 Season DVD box sets of 2004 - before the remastering I think. When was the remastering done? They are still for sale at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-The-Original-Series/dp/B0002JJBZY

HOWEVER I remember there being some debate as whether these pre-remastered DVDs held the entire uncut episode.
    I have just one of the double episode DVDs you have. On another website I saw a discussion arguing that the 2004 edition may have been cut (prior to putting it on DVD) and there was more footage on the double episode DVDs. I can't remember whether I checked. I could check for you if you tell me an easy way. My memory is not good enough to remember every scene and I can only check the two episodes.

Edit: I have a correction. I just watched my two DVDs on two computers at the same time and found a scene missing from the double episode DVD for Tholian Web. After McCoy releases Uhura from Sickbay he speaks to Chapel over the intercom thingmygyg about a Thuragan derivative in my box set Tholian Web 2004 DVD. In the double DVD episode this 10 seconds was not there. I'm most surprised. That's not what I've been lead to believe.
    I'm going to plug my blu-ray copy in to see if that part is missing in the blu-ray.

And the 2004 boxset is definitely pre-restoration. The scratches in the film are still there. LOL.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  7. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, most shows were arranged so the strongest episodes were shown at peak viewing periods, like sweeps or at the start of the season. When a series isn't a serial, it really doesn't matter. With Star Trek, they also had to deal with what episodes were actually ready to air. Corbomite Maneuver fell way behind and others were ready to go. NBC didn't seem to even want to air Where No Man because of all the changes, but no other episode was finished in time to air 3rd.

As for video release, the eternal debate continues. Most fans seem to want production order, others prefer airdate. I don't care much anymore since I never watch them in any order. I just pick whatever episode I'm in the mood for.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

If you have the box sets in the coloured clam shells then those are the digitally remastered episodes before the adding of new visual f/x. However there are small small changes such as the adding of the photorp sound to the phaser bursts seen in "Balance Of Terror." I wish they hadn't done that, but they did.

9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Doctor Z, you might try to find a used music/video store near you if there's one. I have one a few blocks from me, and they have some of the 2-episode DVD's. I picked up The Menagerie that way. The copyright date on the slimbox and the dvd both say 1999, though the box says "Digitally enhanced and remastered". However, the effects appear to be the original compared with one or two remastereds I have on the Fan Collective sets (Mirror, Mirror). The box art for this 2-ep series has a big headshot of one of the actors, such as Jeffrey Hunter for Menagerie, with a small picture of the Keeper in the lower left corner.

10. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

No, there is no DVD release of the circa 2006 full remastering of the 35mm (brand new 1080p scans with re-done color timing and dirt/scratch fixes) film but original VFX. We went through this, in another thread, not that long ago here on the BBS.

You either get the old washed out transfers that have basically been the same since the '80s VHS releases (the late 90's DVD releases make some claim to be digitally mastered, but they're not really any different visually), or you get the circa-2006 remastered live-action and CGI on DVD.

There is no in-between. The only way to get both is the Blu-ray release.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

No, you're wrong. The episodes are quite sharp and not washed out. You can actually make out the damned gridlines and the colours and details are very nice. The sets came out after the episodes had been remastered the first time and not the same when they were remastered for the addition of the new f/x for HD.

12. SpHeRe31459

Got a link to this set? I've never seen such a thing. I've been following the TOS remastered project since its announcement. At least in North America, since 2006 CBS has only released the CGI versions on DVD. If the set was made before 2006 it was not from the freshly scanned 35mm film.

All the previous releases are the same as the dual-episodes releases that date back to 1999.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series_(DVD)

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/site_archive/reviews3/startrektoss1.html

13. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The VHS releases and the initial DVDs were in no way alike in picture quality. I have three full VHS sets and the complete Laserdisc run and those are indeed washed out (but good for 1986). The DVDs, however, were from restruck and enhanced prints. They weren't cleaned up to the extent of the Blu-Rays, but they look just fine, thank you. Prints for Friday's Child and Who Mourns for Adonias, which were previously two of the worst in regards to visual quality, were cleaned up and look great. The sound was also totally upgraded (which I didn't like and have bitched about all too often as it is).

I still watch the DVDs and have no issues with the quality of the prints.

To quote form the review you linked to:

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

15. SpHeRe31459

Yes like I said, those all date back to the 1999 work. I owned quite a few of the 1999 dual-episode releases at one point. They're still a bit paler in tone, with less contrast, and lacking some detail compared to the 2006 re-scanning (and re-color grading) of the 35mm film.

Remember that review is from circa 2004, when that was the best available. It is still pretty clearly trumped by the 2006 versions.

So again the 2004 releases are not equivalent to the 2006 releases just minus the CGI, though I admit, after checking out some screenshots of the 1999/2004 releases, they are closer than I remember.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  16. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Warped9, even if you were right, you'd still not be seeing the episodes in high definition, so what difference would it even make?

IMO, until you've seen Trek in HD, you haven't really ever seen Trek. The color, the detail, there's just no comparison to any DVD version of Star Trek. And some of the original FX actually do hold up in HD.

17. Melakon

I don't have any equipment that would enable me to see high definition, so unfortunately I've never seen Star Trek apparently, and never will.

But I can imagine what the effect must feel like. I was a big fan of The Man From U.N.C.L.E., starting with its first year in black & white. We got a color TV the following summer, because I was unsubtly leaving Sears catalogs around open showing them. That fall, there was a commercial for UNCLE's new season, with Robert Vaughn saying "Don't miss our debut, in color!"

It was great until the stories started trying to imitate Batman.

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

What I see already reveals production sins I could do without seeing. As is I see great detail in costuming and sets as well as good colour. What do I need to see even more production shortfalls in HD for? And considering I have seen TOS-R in HD I know I'm not missing anything. I don't need the extra resolution and I don't need cartoony f/x to support the already great storytelling.

19. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

You're never going to buy a new TV?

20. Melakon

Nope. There's no point in it, my vision's deteriorating. I'm leaning close into the monitor right now.