Into Darkness ties to Star Trek XIII?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by F. King Daniel, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, all of the Excelsior-class ships we have ever seen in Trek have had the same nacelle design, at least in terms of outward appearance. Yet they are obviously not transwarp.

2. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because it was the same model. And the only Excelsior-class vessels we've seen (aside from 1701-B) were in the 24th century, when all ships were transwarp (or at least 100 years advanced in tech, whatever you wish to call it).

So, this really says nothing about Excelsior's capabilities (or moreover, lack thereof).

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sure there's a fanon explanation for that, too. :lol:

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

From what I recall, the Excelsior sports a variation on the rectangular nacelles seen on the movie ships. The 09 Enterprise had nacelles that look the TOS nacelles on steroids. Nothing about them says Excelsior or transwarp to me.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Yeah, there's nothing special about the nacelles on Excelsior. ILM designed several new Starfleet ships for ST III, and they simply varied the look of the components for the sake of variety itself. Grissom has nacelles that don't look like Enterprise's, Excelsior has nacelles that don't look like Enterprise...it all means nothing. And no one at Bad Robot is paying attention to the old visual continuity to the degree necessary for people to read grainy silhouettes of ships for "clues."

Fans make up explanations and continuity for these things, and then seem to expect the filmmakers to adhere to it. Nonsense.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

From a visual standpoint, 09 took most of its cues from TOS. A statement that will cause no amount of headspinning in some circles. ;)

7. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course it did. It was a "remake" (reboot, whatever you want to call it) of TOS the series. There's no reason it should have adopted anything from the movies.

Legion somehow figured that people were arguing the "mystery" ship is the Excelsior, and mistook a discussion about STIII for a discussion about this film. He keeps beating that horse, even though no one else is.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Yep. These folks haven't shown much interest in the movies - well, except maybe for TWOK. ;)

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

The one I see here still beating a horse is you.

If you have anything further to say concerning Legion or the moderation of this forum, I strongly suggest you say it via PM, or use the Notify Moderator button to register a complaint or point out a rule violation. In here, that discussion is finished; please drop it now and stop disrupting the thread.

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

No reason, at all? On the contrary, Scotty's quip, "And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon," is a clear indication that he doesn't believe that Excelsior's transwarp drive will work, even under the best of circumstances. Scotty's technical assessments of starship capabilities carry weight in-universe.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They look like Enterprise-E nacelles to me, not Excelsior's. Although most likely a fluke, it makes me wonder if Old Spock has been giving Starfleet some technology from 2387.
    The Enterprise looks like the movie ship with the old nacelles to me.:shrug:

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Nah, it takes a lot of cues from the TV series ship, including the extended sensor dish with mechanical parts (as opposed to the hull-embedded "spotlight" versions) and the lit/transparent upper and lower sensor domes on the saucer. There's also little things like the "ENTERPRISE" registry on the upper hull being applied straight across rather than following the curve of the saucer as the NCC-1701 part does.

13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Well, there's no reason they'd put NOMAD or ducks in a cut-away either, but they did.

After all, this new dreadnaught ship is supposed to be Enterprise's replacement/better right? It would only be natural if they caled it Excelsior as a joke, with the nacelle's as a give away to the fans.

I wasn't being 'treknical' but whimsical. A lot of in jokes, easter eggs, etc. Nacelle treatment might be an example of this. I guess if they called Cumberbatch Styles it would have been a bit much.

I'm trying to grok how JJ thinks.

In ST II TWOK, Kirk and Khan never came face to face. I'm thinking that even after the two ships ditch there is going to be some type of physical confrontation. We know that there is going to be more space-diving action for the adenaline junkies/wingsuit guys (got to get better on the sensors for that sort of thing ;)

Unless this ends up as just the mid-part of a trilogy with a depressing ending (likely) I can just see Pike say "You threw not one but two ships into the water, Kirk?"

I'm beginning to think that, in today's even faster pace--JJ is thinking less Gene R but more Steve O.

"I'm Johnny Knoxville, and this is Star Trek: Into Darkness"

Let's shove two starships into water and get all hurt.