Joanna McCoy

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by CaptainBearclaw, Sep 19, 2013.

1. CaptainBearclaw

CaptainBearclaw Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

One point of correction -- D.C. Fontana didn't "only help out on two Season 3 episodes," and without credit. She wrote the story and teleplay for 'The Enterprise Incident.' She received story credit for 'That Which Survives' (from her outline, "Survival') and 'The Way to Eden' (from her outline and teleplay, 'Joanna'). In both of those cases, though, she was unhappy with how she was rewritten, and she opted to use her pseudonym, Michael Richards (I've read that she wanted to use her pseudonym on 'The Enterprise Incident,' too, but Roddenberry talked her out of it).

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  3. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Michael Richards--not Arthur. ;)

4. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well I am certainly glad that they didn't go with the storyline of Spock accidentally kills McCoy's daughter that would have been awful. And honestly I dislike stories where a family member is introduced and then subsequently killed, it's cheap drama in my opinion.

Not sure how I would have felt about Kirk falling for McCoy's daughter either. That could have been very good or very bad depending on how it was handled.

But as a McCoy fan I am disappointed Joanna never worked out in the story. I think if given the right story it could have given Kelley an interesting storyline to work with. From what I understand Joanna was originally envisioned to be a son, but it was De Kelley who suggested a daughter for McCoy instead. Too bad it never came to fruition.

And yes I know Joanna was mentioned in one of the animated episodes, but a couple lines hardly counts to me.

Finally I did get a good laugh when someone mentioned something at a convention in the 80's and De Kelley made a joke that they took so long, Joanna is now a grandmother.

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Oops. Fixed.

6. CaptainBearclaw

CaptainBearclaw Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks! I thought I might've gotten that wrong. Fixed.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Kirk getting involved with McCoy's daughter---I always thought that would be Eeeeww!!!

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Indeed. Where's Chris Hansen when you need him? :wtf:

9. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Joanna is in "Crucible: Provenance of Shadows", which if you aren't familiar with it, is a McCoy-centric novel that takes place during the timeframe of TOS. I was about half-way through it, then life intervened and I set it aside.

10. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

Although not mentioned by name, McCoy does say he has a daughter in "The Survivor" episode of the Animated Series.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Was it Eeeewww when Kirk was involved with the 19 year old Lenore Karidian?

12. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

Then again, to me Kirk was a bit TOO "friendly" with Miri

13. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Kirk was in his early to mid 30's and Joanna was a nursing student, either 19 or 20. This is not like we are taking pedophilia. She was young but still an adult. And their age difference was not that severe. People get married with a larger age difference than that.

McCoy was about 10 years older then Kirk. The point of the storyline was Mccoy was supposed to see Kirk in the eyes of a father.

It could have been potentially interesting. My worry would have been I really like the Kirk/McCoy relationship & friendship in TOS and I wouldn't want anything to ruin that.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Whoa, I didn't realize that. And Barbara Anderson was not quite 21 when the episode was filmed.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't know McCoy was older enough than Kirk to have a daughter that Kirk could legitimately be involved with. In TOS, he's not quite 40 (he was born in 2227).

I suppose it would work - in TOS. Not yet in the Abramsverse though! As of the end of STID, Joanna - assuming she exists - is probably about 11 or 12 at most.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, McCoy has a grown daughter in the Abramsverse comics, although she has a different name.

(EDIT: Or was it his wife that had the different name?)

And I guess Kirk was the cliche womanizer after all...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You know, neither did I. She doesn't come off as nineteen in the episode.

18. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

That didn't stop Jerry Lee Lewis or Elvis Presley.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Crazy has no age limit.

Memory Alpha gives Lenore the birth year of 2247. Not sure of the source. I assume it's based on Kodos massacring the Tarsus Four colonists twenty years prior to the episode.

20. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

KIRK: Stop. Information on Anton Karidian.
    COMPUTER: Director and star of travelling company of actors sponsored by Galactic Cultural Exchange Project, touring official installations last nine years. Has daughter, Lenore, nineteen years old....
    KIRK: Stop. Give comparative identification between actor Karidian and Governor Kodos.