Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

Pre-order already locked in!

If worse comes to the worse I can always get my money back.

2. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Confirmed by DWM.

3. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm led to be belive its legit. A press release is due soon. No animation though, just Telesnap recons it seems.

4. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

That's great - I don't like animations !

5. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Awesome, I'll order it as soons as it appears on amazon.

6. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Whoa, really? In #489 (which I just read this weekend) there was a comment from Tom Spilsbury that a DVD release was very unlikely!

7. StCoop

https://twitter.com/DWMtweets

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't mind that. I've found the quality of the animated reconstructions to be uneven. "The Invasion" was the best, but it had its drawbacks.

9. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I much rather have animation than telesnaps. Personally, the latter isn't even an option worthy of money. No offense to anyone who thinks otherwise.

10. StCoop

Given that previous animations helped put one company out of business it probably wasn't surprising that no one else was willing to offer their services for the money available.

11. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

I just burned my own version of UM using the Loose Cannon recons plus the two surviving episodes. I also made a second disc of extras including the interviews with Joseph Furst (Zaroff) and Anneke Wills. I wonder what kind of extras this release will have in comparison (they were put together nearly 2 years ago). Furst died shortly after his LC interview was filmed.

BTW, was there any follow-up to the announcement that Downtime was going to get DVD release?

12. Christopher

I'd welcome good animations, but the advantage of telesnaps is that we get to see actual images of the sets, actors, etc. rather than cartoon approximations. I can't blame you for favoring the entertainment value of an animated version, but I'm interested in the historical value of the telesnaps.

13. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Agreed. I love the animation for "The Invasion" but the others were all pretty bad. The telesnap recon for "The Web of Fear" was better. I'd love to see more of those on DVD.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

The Telesnap Recon for The Tenth Planet is pretty awesome. It's so good, and the telesnap image changes so often, it's easy for me to forget it's a Telesnap recon, rather than moving pictures. I prefer the animation in most cases, but, not in the case of The Tenth Planet

15. Christopher

That's good to hear, since neither Netflix nor my library seems to have the animation-reconstructed "Tenth Planet," so I may have to resort to the telesnaps for that one (assuming I can find them online).

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed the animated reconstructions. Sure, they look like Adult Swim flash animation shows, but that was kind of their charm, IMO. Oh well, I guess telesnaps aren't a bad alternative, just not what I'd prefer.

BTW, unless I'm missing something, this is just a UK release at the moment, right? Is there any word on if/when it'll get released for the rest of the world?

17. Emperor-Tiberius

I also understand the historical value of those, but when I want to actually watch a missing episode, I want to watch it. Telesnaps should be, at best, extra features on the DVD, not the primary, and in this case, alternative, choice of the matter.

I will agree that the animation beyond The Invsaion has been lacking, but even so, I welcome them, as they offer actual action taking place rather than text-describing telesnaps do. What Loose Cannon do is admirable, but I wouldn't want to pay for it if I had 20 bucks on my wallet. Sorry.

18. StCoop

The Invasion was the only one that had an actual budget and even that didn't come from the money allocated for DVD Extras, it came from the unmade Shalka sequel.

19. Emperor-Tiberius

Which really shows the staggering lack of support for these animations, something that boggles the mind for me, as I bet no other property of the BBC (save Sherlock and one/two others) has ever generated a worldwide appeal of the kind DW does. I mean, its like even now, Wolrdwide has a kind of contempt for OldWho.

Sure, not all of it was good, but damn, the '60's are iconic. Respect.

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Exactly.

Even if the animation was top notch, I'd prefer the telesnaps.