Does It Get Better???

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by AdmiralScreed, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Yeah, let's keep in mind the time when this was made. Back in the 90s, it was a big deal that Garibaldi took 3 episodes to recover from being shot in the back on Babylon 5.

2. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In The Flesh: Oh God, one of the absolute worst episodes of Star Trek for me. Nothing about it makes sense, species 8472 suddenly aren't "alien" anymore (you know, like whole other dimension alien) and Boothby is there for no freaking reason and its all just so very stupid. Chakotay kisses a species 8472, 'nuff said.

Once Upon a Time: One of my favorite Voyager episodes. A good child actor, an understated concept full of dramatic potential, another great performance by Phillips and more insight into Neelix's psyche. The only problem was I hated how Janeway was acting. As far as I can see, Naomi is Neelix's Godchild so it is up to him to decide what to tell her about her mother, Janeway was just sticking her nose in to where it didn't belong.

3. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree on both.

BTW, did you notice the actor that played the Species 8472 they brought on Voyager was Billy from "Gremlins"? :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  4. exodus

Whether you care or not doesn't change the facts of what is, sorry.

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

A show out of step with the times?

6. exodus

According to who?

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Should I interpret this differently than that?

8. exodus

I guess so.
    Where I'm from, old school is respected and not something considered behind the times. It's why in modern times many try to hold onto the old school values and traditions? That aspect has never gone out of style. Wasn't that the real point behind modern Trek?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

1. Boothby is the secret overlord of the Federation, which 8472 accidentally figured out, without figuring out that it was a secret.

2. The Kitchenrat wanted Naomi to call her daddy, but after work when Sam got home, Neelix had a glass of wine waiting, it was the little blonde Ensign, who actually did call him daddy. 1 out of 2 ain't bad.

3 Voyager is a carbon copy of TOS with elements of Giligans Island and lost in Space super imposed into it's bible. It's like after they made DS9, Berman found some super-glue to put "the mold" back together with.

4. Red Dwarf stopped the Assasination of one of America's early Kings "Jeff Kaye" and it was awesome.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'm rather fond of that episode of Red Dwarf. It treats Roddenberry's story premise as seriously as it deserves to be treated (i.e. as a comedy) and provides a nice twist at the end (Kennedy being forced to assassinate himself).

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

"It'll drive the conspiracy theorists nuts!"

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

"But they'll never figure it out"

Lets hope Red Dwarf X holds up to past years when it premieres later in the year.

13. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

Timeless: Words can't begin to describe how great of an episode this was. I loved every moment of it; the transitions between the past and present, seeing the dead crew of Voyager and the way they died, Geordi's guest appearance, the very ending when Kim reads his log.......I could go on, and on, and on....this episode also had a very cinematic feel; the camera angles, the lighting, direction, visual effects, and the large scope of the story all made me feel like I was watching a film.
    Well done, well done!
    My favorite episode of Voyager so far!
    10/10

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

But it's a magic bullet.

Ticking all the boxes, it can't not but score TEN.

We should mark them lower for giving into our expectations and demands that we somehow don't get a timetravel episode to reverse an apocalypse every other week.

That was Berman's rules.

"I'm the only one allowed write about time travel and the Borg, the rest of you have to work for a living."

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is my favorite Voyager episode. It does everything for me.

16. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the fact that "Timeless" revolves around two of my least favorite characters kind of drags it down in my estimation. I mean, I do enjoy it a lot and its a technically excellent episode - good story, effects, concept, its an event episode but it still features Harry and Chakotay, blugh. And neither of them do a particularly good job of acting in it either.

17. exodus

Agreed.
    It also IMO shows that Garrett Wang had the potential to be a better actor than what we've seen of him if given proper motivation. On just a minor note, I wish we got to know what Tessa' future was like has she not met Chakotay. The special effect of Voyager crashing down was freakin' awesome!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  18. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I'm surprised you're not marking this episode down for not having a DS9 cameo. There was so much potential!

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love older Harry, very believable. And I loved seeing 7 and Janeway under the ice.. the whole episode is quite a trip.

20. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Think of it as making the episode even more impressive because it succeeds not because of that issue, but despite it. :)

Honestly, this is one of the few times I think Chakotay and Kim aren't generally disappointing for one reason or another.

And I do love that crash scene. I wince at the impact every time. No starship deserves to have that happen. Though I do wonder, morbidly, whether everyone was actually killed in the impact, or whether there were other factors. I guess I'm just too used to Our Heroes surviving crashes of one form or another. And I'll grant that it might have been over-the-top and depressing to see anyone survive only to suffer a much slower and probably more agonizing death from cold or starvation or such.