70 years to the Alpha Quadrant?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Pawleygirl, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Pawleygirl

Pawleygirl Ensign Red Shirt

As a few may have noticed, I've been watching Voyager episodes lately, and someone brought this to my attention. They say that Voyager is over 70,000 light years from the Alpha Quadrant, and Voyager is a vessel capable of sustained flight at Warp 9.975 (which is over 21,000 times the speed of light, or a light year every 25 minutes). So with that said, shouldn't the flight of Voyager back to the Alpha Quadrant take between 3 and 4 years, instead of 70 years like we're told?

2. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

First, there is no definition of what 9.975 really is. Even if you went by the technical manuals (which is pointless), they would still say less than the 21,000 that you say.

Second, while a velocity might be sustainable, that does not make it efficient. With a scarcity of resources, they would be unlikely to sustain such speeds.

Third, they would definitely need to make stops to attain resources. It is unlikely that such a ship could ever be meant to make a voyage meant to last even a few years without refueling.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe they accounted for having to stop at every other system to check things out?

Seriously though, if you notice they typically cruise at warp 7 or 8 in non-emergency situations. Your car may have a maximum speed of 120 mph, but that doesn't make it gas efficient for example.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it was potentially a ten year trip I wouldn't be stopping at every nebula and taking readings like Janeway does. I wouldn't want to add a year or two through mishap. But since it's 70 years it's kind of a coin toss, you will add some years but every now and then you might save some through a discovery.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well based on basic maths from TMP, it would be potentailly around a 50 year trip.

As Vulcan was a 4 day trip from Earth (Speed unknown) as Vulcan is ~16ly from Earth so around 4ly per day.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

In Q Who it was stated the Enterprise had been sent 7,000 light years away from the edge of Federation Space. They also said it would take them two years and seven months to get back.

So... Voyager was much slower than the old Enterprise? It should have only taken 30 years. :wtf:

7. teacake

In space no one can hear you count.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Enterprise can travel though voids for longer periods. Voyagers journey has to take constant stayovers with (unknown-alien)population centres into account. So even if they move a little slower, they can chart a much more direct route probably cutting thousands of light years off the entire voyage.

You take the letter O out of the word "count", and what you said above still makes perfect sense Teacake.

Rude.

But perfect sense.

9. teacake

But that's flaming. You'd have to add an r to the "you" to make it okay.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

The 70-year thing isn't meant to be an exact figure, but a very rough estimate or a ball park figurew, IMO. A ship at Warp 9 or so might average about 1000 light-years per year, taking into account periodic stops whenever necessary.

Personally, I think Janeway was being optimistic. I think most ships can only sustain Warp 9 and beyond speeds for a relatively short period of time but will spend most of a voyage around Warp 6 to prevent engine burnout and to conserve fuel.

11. Guy Gardener

Well queefing is the action of a vagina creating a vacuum losing integrity sound effect inside the females body... but if you're already in space, creating a vacuum inside a vacuum, that sounds like how you create a magic door into thirdspace.

Lets see how being capable of asking directions helps one of you out from being that turned around looking for a familiar landmark.

12. Guy Gardener

Considering Seven, made a song and dance about using Borg cartography to cut 3 years off the journey, I think it's a reliably accurate number, and as the years went on, they did reduce the number of years they expected to be in transit in relation against all their short cuts.

13. teacake

You don't just hear it, you feel it. Space can't take that away from you and I'd imagine it would be a very good navigation point.

14. Guy Gardener

It's a manly man thing to say such comments "I listen to my balls" or "I'm letting my balls take the lead" or even in rare occasions "My ball's spider-sense is tingling"... have you ever seen the British Sitcom "How Not to Live Your Life"? The lead in that is always asking his balls questions as if they each had a mind of their own the equal to the one on top of his shoulders (Add it to the list.).

I didn't mean that you could follow your queefs to homespace, but that a queef in a vacuum might open a door into another dimension, perhaps one even with no shrimp.

I meant that after you had left reality as you know it, you might be so lost that asking directions would be pointless, not that your cooch would be a somewhat comparable article to Rudolphs red shiny nose leading Santa back to the pole.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  15. spot_loves_data

spot_loves_data Captain Captain

^ Another answer for the "objects to navigate the space ship" thread?

16. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

In that sense, shaving off three years is relative to the distance the ship has already traveled.

17. teacake

Not everyone wants to return to a pole.

So. What is in this other dimension? And aren't you jealous you can't go there?

18. teacake

I'm adding my personals to the database now..

19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Click on the link in my sig, and fast-forward the video to 7:58 for a comparison of warp speeds in TOS and VOY.

There is no "real" speed/time/distance table for Star Trek; the writers never used the ones in the technical manuals. The ships move at the speed of plot.

In "Balance of Terror" and "The Neutral Zone" the RNZ is so far from the Federation that communications take days to go back and forth from HQ. In the movie First Contact, not only do they get a live feed from the battle in Earth's solar system, but getting there takes only a tiny warp jump.

20. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, it is said that the Enterprise was 7000 ly from where it was previously, not the edge of Fed space. The edge of Fed space could be closer than the original position.

As for Janeway, she would have had a much shorter trip if she'd headed for the Bojaran wormhole.