Star Ship Polaris

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by aridas sofia, Mar 3, 2008.

1. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

This continues to look fantastic. Very excited to see how it all progresses.

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Re the sails and the fletchings, it's worth nothing that Polaris was an exploration vessel in its earlier days and the ship was likely making jumps out into uncharted space, so accuracy was probably a bigger concern than for ships that are travelling in well-charted and traveled space, so maybe those "sail" systems are more common for vessels of that function.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, there are a number of ways we can come at this, and all of them are interesting. That's why it's fun not to have it all figured out at the get-go; people coming on to a project often make up better stuff than the first writer thinks of. ;)

Polaris was a small, privately owned vessel. It's possible that there are economies involved in the sail arrangement that put FTL vessels within the budgets of small businesses. As I understand it, either the back story or some later elaboration of the Firefly continuity had ships like Serenity being built in numbers and sold at costs that families and small colonizing groups could afford - it was a kind of cheap reliable workhorse.

4. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It might also be the opposite. The sail technology might ultimately be higher-maintenance and more expensive, but it's superior range and accuracy put it in an elite class of mission profiles with very lucrative fees, at least until the war broke out. Even then, Polaris' greatest value to the UW military was probably in the realm of scouting and tactical reconnaissance.

5. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

you guys really need to finish this so I can watch it already! It sounds very interesting.

6. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds a bit like variable wing geometry in present-day fighters. The technology has its advantages, but also a ton of drawbacks.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

I rebuilt the console in the foreground to get it a little closer to the geometry in the concept painting - I really wasn't happy with the curve of it the first time around.

[​IMG]

8. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dennis, that is a masterful interpretation. How much of the remaining space is completed? That is, how much can you move the camera around before the quality breaks down?

9. Admiral Buzzkill

The camera could move maybe ten degrees in either direction without requiring building more of the model. Our live footage of actors for this set is locked down and mainly from one or two angles; Vektor covered all of what we need and more, really, in his painting.

10. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Multiple background ships will be required for both the United Worlds and Transhuman Authority fleets. I thought I'd go ahead and do some development sheets, or "ideations" as they are sometimes called, for both sets of ships. Here's a batch for the THA, a.k.a. the Bad Guys:

[​IMG]

If you had to pick three of these to develop further, which ones would they be?

11. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

If we are numbering them...

...then 1, 4 & 9. IMHO

12. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

My thoughts exactly!

Not that I am in any way involved in this project... except as an enthusiastic fan...

--Alex

13. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4, 7, 9

14. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

15. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That sounds like a "monolithic" task. :lol:

Sincerely,

Bill

16. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

17. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow. In any other forum, that'd be obscure.

Well done.

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

That's the combination on my luggage!

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Definitely 9.

20. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt