Why wasn't Naomi more socially maladjusted?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by JirinPanthosa, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I read that as a half-Ktarian, Naomi aged faster than a human child would.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes , that's self evident from the casting.

Kes also aged slightly faster than humans too.

The point was supposed to be: what's a Kitarian primary School like?

At the age of 3, was she as educated as a ten year old human?

Was she smarter than a human 10 year old to pack all that in so quickly or was the curriculum just fricking intense?

3. Timewalker

Obviously we don't know what a Ktarian school was like, since we never saw one.

If Naomi needed some particular setting or resource for her education, I'm sure Samantha was able to either program it into the holodeck, or ask Janeway to help her figure out how to get it. We do know that several of the officers taught Naomi things - Tom taught her piloting, the Doctor taught her medical stuff (and probably age-appropriate "social lessons"), Seven taught her science and math (as no doubt Janeway did too, as time allowed) as well as music, Chakotay would have taught her anthropology and history, and so on. As for the rest, just consider that Naomi was taking correspondence courses, except the only people qualified and available to evaluate her progress were on the ship.

And I would hope that in the future, there would be greater knowledge and application of how to learn. We don't have enough of that these days. It takes more than picking up a book, sitting in front of a blackboard with a teacher, or taking an apprenticeship (although the latter is an excellent way to learn. Naomi had all kinds of educational resources and not a lot in the way of meaningless time-wasting activities available. I'm sure she would have a lot of adjustments to make to life on a planet, period, never mind life in the Federation. But since she pretty much took it for granted that she wanted to be a Starfleet officer, I'm assuming that if the series had shown her teenage years, she would have ended up in the Academy.

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The plot wanted a smart kid on the ship and a little detail like age doesn't matter. The same thing happened with Alexander coming out of the womb 3 feet tall in TNG, and being fully grown by 12 in DS9.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Going outside is overrated especially in an age of holodecks. They look pretty realistic to me. Too pleasant and lacking in wild weather and thorns? Well so is earth these days.

6. Guy Gardener

Sounds more like an Eriksen baby than a House of Mogh baby.

Same birth canal doing the acting, whatever.

7. Timewalker

Being outside is more about how it looks. I rather doubt a holodeck would accurately depict how outside smells, feels, sounds, and even tastes. Being outside is about the senses and relating to nature as an integral part of it. No holodeck could provide that.

8. teacake

I think they are supposed to do just that, breezes, scents, sun temperature.

9. Guy Gardener

According to Riker in Encounter at far point, depending on the program surely, most of the holodeck is replicated detritus.

10. Timewalker

But it's FAKE. As in Not Real. I would defy any holodeck to recreate the sounds and smells of my favorite places to the extent that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Unless the holodeck is telepathic, it's IMPOSSIBLE.

11. Guy Gardener

12. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tons of instances where people haven't been able to tell the difference. Of course by that logic, replicators shouldn't be able to emulate real food because it's FAKE!

Really though, it's kind of silly to argue the nuances of a fictional technology none of us have experienced. We just have to go with what we see on screen and as Guy points out, everyone else has been fooled a number of times. Paris and Kim even got drunk at Sandrine's off of holographic booze one episode.

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The holodeck is fully under your control. It's kind of like how in video games like Mass Effect, the fate of the entire universe is solely based on your decisions. It's not the same as dealing with actual children your age.

Although I suppose there should have been children other than Naomi on Voyager. No way those 150 people all used protection. She could have had normal social interaction with those kids who should have existed and developed more or less normally.

And what I posted on the first page has nothing to do with estrogen and everything to do with growing up without having to make compromises to get along with people. The equivalent male would probably interpret any sexual refusal as a personal attack.

14. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

15. teacake

You might be able to detect the difference if you had intimately known a place for many years and if the program was a bit off.. maybe. Because places themselves aren't static. We know without thinking about it that just because the ocean we've been visiting every day for years smells a little more or less oceany-y one day that it is still familiar. Our brains don't expect everything to be static in a familiar environment and it seems a well done program can fool even those most familiar with the surroundings, for a while at least.

And we aren't even talking about being able to go home. We're just talking about going outside. Dump me in a holodeck outside in a place I don't know, say Montana or Bajor or Queensland and I'm going to feel happily and wonderfully outside. A native of the place might have a little comment about their being rather a lot of clover scent in the air for the time of year but I'd be none the wiser.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013