‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

^ There's not only no need for it here but it sounds stupid; like something from Miller's deranged Dark Knight Strikes Again fever.

2. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^ PLEASE GOD IN HEAVEN NO!

I frakking hate TDKSA. If the creative team of MOS tries to set Dick Grayson up as the Joker; like Miller did in TDKSA. I will frakking die inside.

3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really don't think there's any danger of the film drawing inspiration from DK2. Do you?

4. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They always seem to walk a tightrope with these superhero things. Even when they get it right on the 'reboot', the studios have got a habit of getting it so very wrong on the sequels.

I still remember walking out of Spider-Man 3 wondering what happened to the spirit that gave us the superior 1 & 2. It's like Sam Raimi finally got sick of all the studio's stupid memos about things they wanted included, and just said "Ok you guys, let's make that crappy movie YOU want to make! You want three villains? We can do three villains. It'll be complete shit. But hey! It's your franchise!":rolleyes:

It's like, nobody in Hollywood ever learnt the lesson of where Batman Forever and Batman & Robin went wrong. Over egging the recipe is the problem. I hope they haven't done that with this idea of an Ultimate Crossover Of Ultimate Ultimateness here... :shifty:

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Villain bloat is the bane of all superhero movie sequels.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think there's anything wrong with the idea of multiple supervillains in a movie, and it's such a common thing in comics that it doesn't seem like it should be an issue at all.

But for some reason they can't seem to make the idea work at all in the movies.

8. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Well, it worked once (TDK). But that's because the story came first. If there's a good story calling for several villains, it can work, but it shouldn't be choosing the characters first and then build something remotely resembling a story around them.

9. sojourner

To be fair, the Dark Knight had one villain. Joker. Harvey Dent was a victim.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Anybody tell SONY that?
    They seem headed towards 6 in one film if the TASM2 sequel is a hit.

11. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Nolan's Batman movies all had multiple villains. Batman Begins had Ra's, Scarecrow and Carmine Falcone. The Dark Knight had The Joker, Two-Face and Sal Maroni. The Dark Knight Rises had Bane, Catwoman and Talia.

What made them work is because Nolan wrote or co-wrote the story and then added in the villains that best suited that story. Not the other way around. Ra's and Scarecrow made sense for Begins, for example, because the theme of the movie was fear and Ra's/Scarecrow just exemplified that. The Dark Knight was about escalation and chaos, and what better villain to use for chaos than The Joker? Two-Face, and more to the point Harvey Dent's gradual dissolution into Two-Face, fights into the theme of escalation and gradual chaos. With Rises, it was basically a disaster movie, and the theme was very much about pain and overcoming pain, and what better villain to deal with that than Bane? Etc etc.

With most superhero movies, it seems like villains are randomly picked. Spider-Man 3 is a good example of that. Sandman and Venom had no reason to team up with each other beyond a mutual hate/disdain for Spider-Man, for example. Beyond that, it just didn't make any sense. The same can be said for most superhero movies with multiple villains. If you're going to go that route, you better make sure it fits within the context and thematic foundation of the story.

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I like The Dark Knight well enough, but the inclusion of Two-Face always felt tacked on to me. Batman Begins did a better job handling multiple villains in a way that suited the story.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't think Harvey's inclusion was tacked on at all. This was a movie about the Batman and Joker battling for the hearts and minds of the people of Gotham, with Batman trying to inspire and save them and the Joker trying to corrupt and destroy them. Harvey was the human embodiment of what they were fighting over. The duality of Two-Face fit neatly into the film's themes. Harvey Dent was the ideal that Bruce wanted to promote as a way of saving Gotham -- and himself, so he could create a Gotham that didn't need Batman anymore -- and Two-Face was the corruption the Joker wanted to create as a way of tearing down Gotham, destroying its greatest hope. Far from tacked on, Harvey is literally crucial to the story: he is the crux of the conflict between the hero and the villain. Remove him and the film loses most of its story.

14. M.A.C.O.

With Luthor as one of the villains for MOS 2. The threat for villain bloat is tangible.
    Luthor who has had a hand in creating Metallo, Parasite and Bizarro.

[​IMG]

However I don't think MOS 2 be as crowded as TASM 2 and the future Sinister Six movie; with regards to villain overload.

15. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As JacksonArcher already said, even though Two Face was arguably under-used to the point of neglect in TDK, he wasn't an after-thought by any means. His role in the story dove-tails perfectly with the themes of the script. I don't see how a TDK script without him in it would be an improvement (although it might not necessarily have been worse, either).

On the other hand, Spider-Man 3 screamed out to be a movie which just tied up the trilogy in a neat bow. The 'new' Goblin was okay for this purpose, Sandman too, but Eddie Brock/Venom really did create villain bloat in that script. He served no purpose by being there, and the movie would almost certainly have flowed a lot better without him.

(PS. Nice one sojourner on the phrase 'villain bloat'. Never heard that before. I'm gonna have to remember that one for my future discussions on this subject with my friends. :beer: )

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

You can also use it in the case where there's one really fat villain.

17. M.A.C.O.

^ Like the Blob in X-Men Origins Wolverine

Har Har Har

18. sojourner

^Works for Live and Let Die as well.

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Worked in more ways than one for Return of the Jedi. ;)

20. Runetouch

Runetouch Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am rather, well, pessimistic regarding this movie. Man of Steel was the biggest disappointment of the year, and I don't think that Snyder has the talent to portray even one superhero well, let alone three-five of them.