Was DS9 safe?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by SignGuyHPW, Oct 25, 2013.

1. SignGuyHPW

SignGuyHPW Lieutenant Red Shirt

It always struck me as odd that DS9 was essentially a military instillation in a turbulent part of space yet they had a huge civillian population. Restaraunts, shops, families, etc were all over the station yet they were in the middle of a war zone where the station was in constant threat of being attacked. Did it really make sense that so many people would choose to live on the station?

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You'll note during the run of the show, often the civilians did up and leave when things got tense. All things considered though it got attacked a lot less than say.. the Enterprise full of it's families.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

But what was the appeal of living there for shopkeepers and families?

Was Bajor such a depressed economy post war that it made sense?

4. SignGuyHPW

SignGuyHPW Lieutenant Red Shirt

The Enterprise was supposed to be on peaceful exploratory missions, but I often thought that having families on board was a mixed bag there too. The difference is that DS9 was in the middle barely out of Cardassian control, next to this wormhole that they didn't know much about, and things got even more dangerous as time went by. If I was a Vulcan I don't think my logic would dictate going there to start a restaraunt for a station full of such diverse races.

5. R. Star

Every vessel coming and going to the Gamma Quadrant stopped there, likewise once the war started, it was a prime staging area with lots of traffic. So yeah having a business there would make sense, there is volume.

I'd rather be on DS9 and get attacked once a year at worst than be on the Enterprise flying into every random anomaly or getting attacked by a hostile alien species every week.

6. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^ I think Voyager ran into more anomalies put together than any of the Enterprise's did. DS9 is located in a hazardous area of space for sure. But hey it's the frontier. It's not supposed to civilized.

7. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Most of the residents were Bajoran so I don't see why it would be so surprising. Next to all of them would have lived during the occupation, so the danger of DS9 probably pales compared to that. The next biggest group would probably be Starfleet families and they might have a better understanding and acceptance of the risks.

Then there's Quark. Sisko flagged him as the lynch pin. His staying signalled that there was a commercial future on the station, it encouraged others to stay making it more palpable for civilians to want to live on the station.

As for the Vulcan restaurant, Vulcans were probably the most mentioned group in terms of exploring the GQ, so there might have been a healthy flow of Vulcans through the station. Diversity also would be a factor, if there are enough people wanting to eat Klingon cuisine, whick seems to be meat or alive dishes, there probably are people who would favour vegetarian Vulcan cuisine.

8. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really, it was more like one of the old walled citys, Starfleet ran the place and maintained basically a starbase inside a portion of the city. But the entirety of DS9 wasn't a military installation.

9. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

DS9 wasn't in a war zone for a the first five years of Starfleet's administration of the starbase.

That's five years of civilians comin' to the station, settin' up a place to live & work and make the place a home, which is what Sisko wanted when he convinced Quark to stay in 'Emissary'.

10. nureintier

nureintier Commander Red Shirt

Dunno about the families, but I imagine for the shopkeepers, they might have more traffic and more diverse traffic) going through there than down on the planet.

11. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Absolutely. The best example I can give you today is Kandahar airfield, Afghanistan. A sprawling complex of thousands of mutinationals, although there are no families, there are still thousands of civilians who work and live there. There are restaurants and shops galore. Basically, a Deep Space 9 on the ground. The airfield is not only under threat. but is constantly fired upon. Teams of people go forth from 'the station' to carry out missions. Deep Space 9 is a great parallel to this. Not necessarily safe, as per the thread title, but very real.

12. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Bajorans wanted to be closer to the prophets.
    Ferengi wanted to be closer to the profits.
    Starfleet families moved there with the officer in the family. But as others mentioned, families were evacuated when things became especially dangerous.

13. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering historically people always found it safer to live near Roman garrisons, castles, and US cavalry forts, I don't think that the presence of the military on DS9 should have been a deterrent to Bajorans to reside there. Unfortunately, we only get peripheral glances at Bajorans living on the station. Only Leeta gets close look.

14. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

DS9 wasn't just a military installation, it was also a trading post and (Considering it's at the only entry point to the GQ) a major port city. That made it a huge center of commerce.

Most of the families there were families of officers stationed there or people running businesses there.

15. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. The best example I can give you today is Kandahar airfield, Afghanistan. A sprawling complex of thousands of mutinationals, although there are no families, there are still thousands of civilians who work and live there. There are restaurants and shops galore. Basically, a Deep Space 9 on the ground. The airfield is not only under threat. but is constantly fired upon. Teams of people go forth from 'the station' to carry out missions. Deep Space 9 is a great parallel to this. Not necessarily safe, as per the thread title, but very real.[/QUOTE]

That is a FANTASTIC analogy! Thanks for that and for your service.

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

By convinced you mean blackmailed Quark into staying. ;)

17. R. Star

Yes, thank you for the analogy and more importantly your service! :)

18. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

At least DS9 didn't have an infamous poo pond though! :rommie:

19. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Good God, you got that right!! I wouldn't go near the Asian kitchen because of its proximity to it!! You should be coming home soon, eh? (Yes, I do say 'eh' a lot):lol:

20. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

Yeah the poo pond is horrible! We have a bit of that stink here on Phoenix every now and then, but nothing like KAF.

I have a little over 2 months to go, should be starting to head home in mid January. :p