Fringe Series Finale (Discussion, Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Procutus, Jan 17, 2013.

?

Grade 'Liberty/An Enemy of Fate'

1. Excellent - Fringe at its very best

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Very Good

19 vote(s)
    37.3%
  3. Good

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. Average

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Bad

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Really Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Terrible beyond words - encase this ep in amber!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing thatWindmark was smashed mid teleport and his body or more accurately what was left of it ended up at whatever destination he had chosen before dying.

2. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Held off watching the finale until tonight (Monday). I dreaded seeing the show end. Very touching ending. Peter and Walter as well as September and Michael fully connecting as fathers and sons.

Was really cool seeing the Other Side team helping out. I had a feeling when Windmark was talking to his superior that he had been feeling some emotion. He reminded me a bit of Agent Smith in the Matrix for a moment there. Nice also seeing all the old Fringe diseases and horrifying conditions again -- hi guys.

Going to miss Walter Bishop. He is one of the best sci fi characters ever. He was the kind of character who could say or do anything and wouldn't seem out of character. Initially I was so against a Peter/Olivia hook up, but the writers did a good job making it not cringy.

I've often wondered how people decide on which genre shows to demand all the technobabble, psuedo science and plot twists make perfect sense and which ones to give a pass on.

I didn't think the finale was TNG, BSG, or Six Feet Under great, but it certainly was satisfying. :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  3. NCC1701MF

NCC1701MF Captain Captain

4. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Checked out some of the interview videos on the side of that one - Bloody hell, Anna's an Aussie too!?!? :alienblush:

5. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Rupert Murdoch was once her uncle by his marriage to her aunt Anna Maria Torv. James Murdoch is her cousin.

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

And the only reason the show stayed on as long as it did. ;)

I kid, they never met. The actor who played Peter once did an interview talking about getting renewed and brought up the fact maybe it was tiem for them to meet.

7. Aeon

Aeon Commander Red Shirt

This is what I gathered as well. Essentially Peter is the "original" paradox that still exists... or can exists because of some weird quantum entanglement or whatever.

One huge detail that is very odd is the fact that invasion has happened in the perpetual now in 2036, but yet there is the future of 2609 practically unchanged... like it's just a different place on the map Windmark can visit anytime. :confused: Unless there is some sort of theory for this, perhaps involving the very important year of 2161, this is the biggest thing that doesn't make any sense.

Otherwise a great finale! Some very moving moments and a very fitting "end" for Walter. This time he took a boy through a portal to save the world and obviously succeeded, pretty much redeeming himself.

8. Asbo Zaprudder

Yeah, I also gather Anna Torv isn't very happy when anyone mentions the connection to her. I think it more to do with being estranged from her father than related to a media mogul.

If Peter can survive being a paradox, I don't see why Walter and Michael can't. I subscribe to David Deutsch's interpretation of the many-worlds theory - well, at least on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays I do.

9. Aeon

Aeon Commander Red Shirt

Many-worlds theory would fix this easily, but it was clearly presented as a blue world future and the show always was contained between the blue and red universes. Today I found an interesting theory from a certain Omniscient_Jay and oddly enough that might do the trick! Even though it's just a theory and not explicitly laid out inside the show.

Or at least I thought it was an interesting read. :lol:

10. Asbo Zaprudder

I think I recall Walter explaining the many-worlds interpretation at some point, but I guess the writers thought that two universes was as much as viewers could handle. If reality really does require anything that has a finite probability of happening to actually happen in at least one universe, I don't see how the Observers could shore up their temporal dam.
    Anyway, the Vulcan Science Academy has determined time travel is not possible. Well, I assume they mean time travel into the past. I'm travelling into the future all the time.

11. Aeon

Aeon Commander Red Shirt

I guess I can take that as an explanation as well and like you said, it has been mentioned by Walter, so it can also be found inside the canon of the show. And it's simple!

I have always figured that yes, there are infinite amount of universes, but that our familiar blue and red worlds are somehow entangled together like the double helix of DNA if you will - perhaps because they were at some point just one single universe and they separated by some cataclysmic event, yet still very much connected. This fairly small and I suppose quite obvious theory might also explain the existense of the Machine in both worlds.

12. Asbo Zaprudder

I'm more worried that there is a finite chance of immortality and I'm the version of me that gets to live forever. It really buggers up my pension plan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_suicide_and_immortality

I wonder what Hugh Everett, the proposer of the MWI, is doing in the branch of the multiverse where he's still alive. He was a clever chap so I doubt that maintaining an income would be a problem, but who really wants to live forever in a universe when all you friends and family die before you and you survive until the end of time?

13. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I agree, this makes no sense. I mean for a time, Walter was going to let September accompany the kid... So if that had happened, would Walter STILL have disappeared in 2015? The whole thing just defies all logic.

That said, I still enjoyed it, on an emotional level. I am really, really going to miss seeing John Noble on my TV each week.