The Mirror Universe in Star Trek XIII?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by mymatty, Oct 10, 2013.

?

The Mirror Universe in Star Trek XIII?

1. I hope so.

12 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. I hope not.

44 vote(s)
    78.6%
  1. mymatty

mymatty Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

In an interview for STID, Zachary Quinto mentioned growing a goatee for the next Trek movie. I'm not sure if he was kidding or not, but I think it's highly likely that the next movie will be based off of "Mirror, Mirror." Do you think this would be a good way to go or not? Personally, I'm really excited at the prospect...

2. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Um...kinda too fanwanky for me. Very difficult to pull off and I never really got into it myself.

EDIT: Oops, voted the wrong one.

3. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Tried in the comics, wasn't too interesting.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Well, part of the reason for that might have been...

The whole story was in itself a story, told by the 'regular' Scotty and McCoy.

5. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As long as it involves the Mirror Universe Borg, whose mission is to go around promoting individuality for every being in the universe.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Actually, apart from some minor differences (King instead of Queen, diamonds instead of cubes), the Borg of the MU are pretty much the same as they are in the RU.

Which is odd, really, since in the MU the Destiny trilogy obviously could not have happened anywhere near like it did in the RU...

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't really have a feeling one way or the other.

But if done right, it could be really fun. But it would be really hard to do right.

8. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If it builds on Enterprise's "In a Mirror Darkly," it could be good. But I remember a Mirror Universe storyline from DC comics circa 1985 or so, that took place chronologically between TSFS and TVH. It kinda sucked.

Personally, before Star Trek ID, I remember the rumors that Cumberbatch was actually playing Gary Mitchell, and was actually kind of excited about it. Would be cool if they actually go through with that.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

While it could be cool if done right, I think the new universe is bizarro enough without adding its own nutty evil sub-universe.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

And since it was done in the comics, that rules out any possibility of it being done in a movie. After all, Orci supervises the comics to make sure they don't do material planned for the movies.

But yeah, the comic story wasn't that great. But then, it is basically just a copy of Enterprise's MU two-parter. Not to mention, all the ridiculous art errors...

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The comic went to great lengths to point out the infinite number of universes out there, and their mirror story had no connection to the usual nuTrek one. I think they did it that way on purpose, just in case they wanted to introduce a movie mirrorverse later (not that I think they should)

12. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

The MU was the best thing that ever happened to Star Trek, and could be the best thing that ever happened to the new timeline.

I say they should do it just for the hell of it.

13. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love the MU episodes, maybe even more than the next guy, but I don't see how a Mirror universe story could ever be expected to carry an entire movie. Especially so early in the reboot. As of this point, we still only have about 3-4 hours of story about how the NuTrek universe even works itself - how does it make any sense to try to undercut that by already introducing another alternate universe?

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

NOOOOOOOoooo fuck off MU and don't come back!!!!

Though.. Evil NuSpock would be HOT. Though I only loved Mirror Mirror, others had camp moments but were mostly godawful.

Since we are already AU I think AU MU would be a bit too much. Like, just tell a good story without it all being a take on something we already had.

15. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Same here.

I love the MU, and its narrative potential, but right now it would make no sense in the reboot.

16. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

While I like the MU, I would prefer to see something totally new for the next 'anniversary' film. Let's get back to the 'explore strange new worlds' idea for this one, please. Nibiru was a great, great addition to the last film.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

How about OO MAU MAU?

18. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

This is probably even worse of an idea than the Borg. As it was, the writers already felt beholden to fans to do Khan, and that turned out somewhat forced. I think they should do something new or something that's just more obscure that they can make fresh. They shouldn't be picking gimmicks that don't make sense.

19. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean like hiding the Enterprise under water when all they had to do to stay out of sight was remain in orbit?

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Unfortunately, they probably couldn't do a film that took place ONLY in the mirror universe. They'd have to work in some kind of crossover with the regular one. But even then, I guess they could make it work.

I don't see any way the Borg could be shoehorned into the next film, because even the Abramsverse Federation can't yet get all the way out to the Delta Quadrant. But there is always the opportunity to do a MU story.