Yet another Star Wars movie re-release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Sep 29, 2010.

1. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Can't say I'm terribly excited. He's starting with the prequels and releasing one a year. This just means that sometime in 2015, I might kill an evening by seeing Star Wars again. This gives me a good excuse not to see that movie again for five years.

2. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Gooooood! Your hate has made you powerful.

3. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Lightsaber fights in 3d could be cool. would ne better if they filmed specidicaly with 3d in mind but still.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd rather he put all this time and energy into a new OT cartoon instead. Enough with reworking and retouching the previous movies.

5. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

6. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree you are shooting yourself in the foot to go through all this 3d restoration attempt and then expect The Phantom Menace to do well enough to support the rest of the releases. I don't think so! No one want to see TPM now. Goodness if you are going to do this, ignore the prequels and make one special year and release the original trilogy in select different cities every quarter. Don't insult your fanbase this way. Frankly I don't know that I'd go to see any of them. What makes this 3d any better than the old stuff that looks so hokey?

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, this is by no means a good idea, but of course I'm not that big on 3D anyway. But this whole thing just sounds like horrible.

But regardless, I'll probably check these out anyway. I don't really want to, but my obligations to the Star Wars franchise compell and require me to. Besides, with the quality of most movies in recent years, these will likely be the best damn films in theatres from 2012-2017. Yes, even the prequels will be better than the "original" filth studios will be crapping out in those years. Star Trek XII, Avatar 2, what a wondrous time that will surely be.

Oh right, knowing James Cameron we won't see Avatar 2 until 2031.

8. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Not quite. Colors carry precise emotional tones; simulated depth of field in a shot our brains "already see in 3D" (as Dean Ebert never tires of pointing out), not so much. The difference between a 3D-converted Casablanca, for instance, would be far less from the original than the colorized version.

The original ship models would almost certainly still be used. I don't see their personality suffering at all.

Steven probably wouldn't go for that, but would I like to see the boulder chasing Indy right off the screen? Hell yes, I would! :p

9. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Precise emotional tones? What the new age fuck are you talking about?!? :)

I don't know. I've only seen Avatar in 3D, and I liked the effects well enough, but it just seems that a 'conversion' is going to look really bad. I could be wrong.
    I really wouldn't be shocked for them to pull out as much as they can and replace it with CGI. We'll have to bump this thread in 5 years.
    I'd rather a real boulder crushed Skywalker Ranch...

10. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

@ Gaith

ROTS canon violating? Where? When?

11. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn, that is cold. I don't think anyone there deserves to die, no matter what questionable content is put out from there.

12. Zombie

Zombie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well it is Lucas and he's had a huge effect on the industry as a whole when it comes to special effects. We could see 3D done spectacularly that sets the standard for all 3D movies to follow.

With that said I don't care to see the prequels again unless this 3D is so good that I can shoot JarJar and a bunch of other characters and they actually fall down dead in the movie and are erased from the following movies. :D

13. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmm.... I know most people (here at least) would rather see ANH done first. But maybe they're doing them in this order so they can get the bugs worked out before they get to that one?

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

What would really be nice is if episode 6 was followed up by an all new SW movie, episode 7.

After all the re-release of the 90's was done in part as a build up to the prequel trilogy.

How cool would it be to see all 6 episodes, in order theatrically followed by an all new installment?

15. Gaith

Surely, you jest?

Reason #5: R2 Leaps Out of Ship
    Reason #57: Anakin Helps the Empire "Hunt Down and Destroy" the Jedi Knights
    Reason #77 "She has lost the will to live..."
    Reason #84: Princess Leia?
    Reason #85: Leia's Award-Winning Memory
    Reason #87: Yoda's Training & Jedi Apparitions
    Reason #91: The Death Star

And, of course, one must factor in the violations of Eps. 1 and 2...

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Exactly how do those things violate canon?

17. Gaith

If you follow the links, read the entries and still don't get it, I'm not sure I can help you, though I'd be happy to debate any particulars after you do so.

18. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

Wasn't Bail's wife a Queen?

Also, Order 66 did not destroy all the Jedi Knights. The film implies, and the Expanded Universe confirms, that a few other Jedi survived apart from Obi-Wan & Yoda, and were either hunted by Vader and the Empire in the interim between trilogies, or survived until after the OT. Some even survive to the Legacy Era.

The writer of the web site does use a lot of Expanded Universe arguments so I use the same.

Also Lucas might change his mind about the releases. Remember when he said that the special editions would be released once a year? Instead one was released each month in early 1997....(I think so George could get them out of the way to start production on TPM).

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

No arguments, there. This was pretty dumb, especially after seeing R2 very slowly pulling himself out of Luke's X-wing on Dagobah.
    Order 66 didn't kill all of the Jedi. Vader was sent to hunt down all the survivors they could find after the war was over.
    Very dumb, but doesn't belong in a list of "canon violations." The fate of Luke and Leia's mother was never explicitly described; Leia's statements about her in ROTJ can be attributed to the Force.
    Bail Organa was the Viceroy of Alderaan. His wife was the Queen of Alderaan. Though, personally, if I could go back and change things I'd turn Naboo into Alderaan and make Padme an actual queen who abdicated the throne (leaving it to her cousin/brother, Bail) to take a more active role in the Senate.
    Also dumb, but the Force works in mysterious ways. Not important enough to get worked up over.
    I don't get this one. There's no canon violation here, since it was never explained how Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Anakin appeared as apparitions. This is more of a case of fans being upset that their accepted theory was incorrect. Anakin retained his identity in the Force because he was the Force (its physical embodiment, at least).
    Also not a violation. Maybe the second one was constructed in a different manner because the Empire figured out a faster, cheaper way of doing it than they did the first.

20. Gaith

Nope, sorry, don't buy that at all. Not one bit. ;)

Okay, that makes some sense.

Okay, but how would Obi-Wan know about these subsequent hunts, assuming he never left Tatooine? ... Never mind, I don't care. :p

Yeah, sorry, don't buy that either. :)