Babylon 5 DVD's

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Tom Hendricks, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I was at BJ's wholesale club today, picked up my copy of Watchmen on Blu-Ray. However they have each season of Babylon 5 on DVD for $14.99. I use to own the series on VHS, a long time ago. I threw them away, because I never use VCR. Now here is my quandary, I love Blu-Ray but I don't think they will ever release B5 on Blu-Ray so should I just go ahead and get it on DVD or should I wait and see if they release it on Blu-Ray?

2. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

wow - 15 bucks per season is a sweet deal! take it!

3. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Given the quality of the source material, I rather doubt it would look any better on blu-ray.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The series would need a major restoration before being fit for Blu-Ray. Warner Bros. has proven time and time again that they're not going to spend the money on Babylon 5. So it's probably a safe bet to buy the series on DVD.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm just watching it on DVD for the first time ever, and I think my old ratty VHS-SLP tapes recorded off of TNT look about as good. There's also artifacts of static regularly blipping on the image as well. People here tell me the S2 transfer improves.

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Awesome, I need to buy the show once I get money. :lol:

7. AgentSnoop

AgentSnoop Cadet Newbie

Edit: Nevermind

I don't mean to bug you, but if I am, just ignore me. Thanks.

Oh, and to answer your question, I agree with what was said.. unless Warner decides to finally give the money the series desperately needs to redo the CGI, these are probably going to be the best you are going to get. I hope Warner doesn't just try screwing people and giving the same crappy transfer for Blu-Ray. Also, for the most part, the video quality does improve slightly through the seasons, but mainly with grain, dirt and stuff... pretty much the same crappy CGI transfer, but I'll take what I can get.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  8. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jump! JUUUUMP!