Falling Skies - season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DarthTom, May 23, 2013.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that didn't have any long term issues with it at all.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tapestry dude, tapestry.

I'm sure the Cuban Freedom Fighters thought wonderful things about the CIA facilitators helping their revolution get to a running start the day after the Bay of Pigs.

3. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So last night's episode was pretty good, sad to see General Headroom die though. I'm getting sick of the whole Mason/Pope hating each other thing. If I'm Mason and I hate Pope so bad, that guy isn't going on the trip with me in the first place; and if I'm Pope, I leave and don't come back for him. I have a new least favorite line of all time: "If there's one thing I hate more than you Mason, it's Skitters!"

4. jclark14

jclark14 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

And, "Next basket wins". <gag>

Why not just have the 2nd Mass™ do a recon and stumble into Defiance®, and maybe, just maybe have a show that's, hmmmm...., well different. Better? Prolly not, heck it'd prolly be the same, only more of it.

'Sides, I'd liketa see some nekkid Castithan/Skitter rasslin' at the NeedWant on Monday nites....

hmpf.

5. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

You like Defiance so much? Keep it. Personally I got tired of Miss Nekkid Castithan 2013 the second time I saw her (and about the third I heard her speak.)

If the 2nd Mass stumbled into Defiance all that would happen is it would kick everybody's ass and bring all the aliens into line. That would be fun to see. I'd especially like to see somebody shut Datak Tarr's mouth for him.

(It would be even funnier to have Sarah Carter and Julie Benz get into it. It would be the Clash of The Baby Doll Voices!)

I'm glad to see General Headroom go. His entire purpose was to sit around and whine about doing anything.

And the whole "Bitter Rivals grow to like each other" is just as cliche as "rivals hating each other." I'd rather see Mason and Pope keep going at it. Save the cumbayas for the final season.

6. jclark14

jclark14 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yahh, and PostApocolypticEarth© trope(s) are sure getting long in the tooth - I really am pining for a Spaceship or two, mebbe a Space Station or a Ringworld or something new, like, oh-I-don't-know, time travel or other new fangled literary device...

Well gotta watch what SighFri puts on, I think there's wrestling tonite preceding Dispair-ence

<sigh>

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought this was a pretty fun episode. I though the stuff with Mason & Pope was pretty good personally. I thought it was great when Tom told Pope that just because they shared stories around a campfire it didn't mean they were friends, and then fought him. I honestly thought that was where they were going with that scene, so I was rather surprised when they actually didn't.

8. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The logical ending of the Mason/Pope fight just emphasized how stupid it was in the first place. Pope's characterization is lame and stinks up every scene he's in.

Mason giving up is pretty bold for a US TV show. Heroes never say die!

The burial of the unknown woman was very effective, and vastly superior to anything I saw on Defiance, while I could still watch it.

9. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

That was my favorite part. It was cool to see Tom throw off the history teacher/good leader cloak and trade physical badassness with Pope. (I was actually kinda worried. The promos made it look like Pope was getting in all the shots.)

Indeed. They didn't know who the woman was, so they honored her by imagining the best type of person she could be.

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yeah, it was sad when they were all standing around, making up possible nice things about the dead woman.

I liked the Mason-Pope storyline, though. Given the type of show this is, I was prepared for it to end in a grudging bonding scene, and that would have been fine. But I liked how Tom started the fight after they had shared campfire stories. And I liked how Pope accidentally killed the guy after he had almost run over his kid. And, of course, the fact that Pope came back indicates that he has some sense of decency or obligation in there.

I was sorry to see Max Headroom die, but I knew he and Locke wouldn't last long.

And the vice president is going behind Tom's back. I wonder if she is the mole and is the one who put the homing device on the plane. In any case, I like the new mad scientist character; he adds more variety to the mix.

11. bigdaddy

The fighting between them two was completely stupid and just like random, couldn't have felt more forced.

And the VP woman going "We need to do what is best for the city! You can't go and look for the only doctor we have, who needs doctors!"

12. Guy Gardener

Mason is a dick and an idiot. When Pope dropped that snake on him, that was real-man-eese for "I am your friend." All Tom had to do was "laugh" and call him an "asshole" after which as far as Pope was concerned, Mason was his BFF who he would take a bullet for.

It's called "lying".

13. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Yeah, that was my take on it, as well. I found most of Tom's reactions to be really out of character. The only thing that felt right was Tom getting Mason to leave him behind.

Not my favorite episode of the series to date; the whole thing was so heavy-handed and cliched that it wore on my nerves--which is a shame, because I normally am fairly pleased with this show.

Ah well. I guess they can't all be gems.

14. Guy Gardener

I seriously thought they were being provoked/attacked by some sort of psychic weapons that was turning them into [not a joke]tetchy aggressive assholes[/not a joke].

That's how Cobra made billions selling Terrordromes.

Seriously.

Weapon fortress compounds, that emitted ultralow frequency white noise that turned every one within a couple hundred miles into thugs who just wanted to shoot each other which cause for the demand of yet more Terrordromes.

By the way.

That was a sweet toy.

[​IMG]

15. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

It was an even sweeter comic. Written by Larry Hama. The Joes and Battleforce 2000 in Frusenland versus a company of Cobra WOLF tanks and the aforementioned Terrordrome.

But I digress...

16. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

These are the exact same reactions I had. The whole agitation seemed to come out of nowhere, starting with the "I'll take the first watch" moment when Mason grabbed the gun. I was about ready to ignore it or chalk it up to I musta missed something, but then they were really riled the next morning.

I definitely was expecting some kind of mind control/pheromone or something. Perhaps a Skitter tactic to flush out the quarry. I don't know how I feel about it being a legitimate beef. Seemed really out of place.

And what kind of husband and father is Tom? The moment I found out I was unconscious for 2 days, my immediate reaction would have been where are my kids and my wife?

17. bigdaddy

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  18. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Yayyyy!

19. Guy Gardener

20. bigdaddy

No one is pointing a gun to your head, because if they were they wouldn't put it down.