Meg Griffin, why doesn't she talk!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Nowhere Man, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Each season of Family Guy Meg gets less and less lines. I know it's a running joke to make fun of her, but now she harldfy even gets one line in an episode. Some times she never even has one. Why is this, does Mila Kunis not give a shit or is she too exspensive or something else. If these are the cases, why not just kill her off or something?

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The writers don't know how to write a teenage girl. And no, I'm not trying to slam them, this is what Seth MacFarlane actually said. This is why Meg has become loser who everyone picks on, and presumably why she gets less and less to do as the show goes on.

3. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I've heard them say that before, but it sounds like a lame excuse. They have female writers don't they? I mean Alex Borstien could even help write lines. I know MacFarlane and co. don't sit and write, but they are perfectly capable of it.

4. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can't say I'm surprised to read that.

The same thing has happened/is happening with Hayley on "American Dad" and the step-daughter (who gets so little screen time I can't even remember her name) on "the Cleveland Show."

5. TheMurph

TheMurph Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well FG has also evolved more into a Stewie and Brian show, or at least their portion of the storyline gets more emphasis.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Hayley still gets stories on AmDad. They just did the big thing with her getting married to Jeff.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Not surprising that American Dad is doing something better than Family Guy. It's been that way pretty much since American Dad started. Too bad it's not getting the ratings it deserves.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I figured it was just because of Kunis's busy film schedule or something. She's been showing up in more and more movies, it seems like.

9. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Agreed. Though ironically as soon as they got married they vanished for about 5 episodes!

As for Meg Griffin, why would the manatees know how to write a teenage girl?

10. the G-man

I haven't watched any eps since Thanksgiving. Has the marriage been referenced since that? It seemed almost like a throwaway gag in that ep.

In any event, Hayley was originally intended to be major character on the show, with McFarlane promoting the show as "conservative Stan vs his liberal daughter." But she soon took a back seat to Roger and Steve.

11. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Thier marriage was fetured heavily in the Christmas ep. I have to admit, I think American Dad is a lot more funny than Family Guy. It still seems fresh, but Klous has about as many lines Meg or the Daughter from the Cleveland Show(forgot her name too). It seems they just have a problem with either too many characters or just too little time to write. Something is obviously wrong. The problem caries over to all three shows.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Well, having three shows going all at once is probably part of the problem. I still don't think Cleveland deserved his own spinoff.

13. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Actually, the primary reason that Meg has had so few lines this past year or so, is that Mila Kunis has been so busy acting in other projects, and/or promoting them, that she simply hasn't been around to provide Meg's voice.

14. the G-man

But even before that, the writers had reduced Meg to pretty much nothing but a character upon which to heap throwaway gags of scorn and ridicule.

15. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Agreed, they need to shit or get off the pot with Meg. I like the character and I love Kunis, but I hate seeing a character go to complete waiste. Just send her off to college or something.

16. The Wormhole

Or they could just recast her again, though this time make it part of the storyline by changing her to Ron. That's a referance to the Stewie Griffin Untold Story DVD movie from several years ago, in case any of you don't get it.

17. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I don't know, I think one of the cardinal rules of this kind of cartoon show is you can't break up the family. You can kill off supporting characters and spin Cleveland off into his own show but adding or removing anyone from the central family is a recipe for trouble.

Keeping Meg around while having her do next to nothing is probably how they'll keep doing things.

Anyway, wasn't the "Meg goes to jail" episode just last season? We'll probably get at least one Meg episode this year, too. I wouldn't expect any more than that. She'll just be the butt of everyone's jokes, as usual. :lol:

18. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

Meg also ruined the Star Trek: TNG reunion episode, by hogging all the screen time.

19. The Wormhole

^^"Yes folks, this is a Meg-centric episode. Here's the clicker, no one will blame you."

20. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

and in any other episode, that isnt a problem.

The problem is Family Guy got the whole cast of TNG together and then blow it on a Meg episode.