Which species from Trek do you most identify with?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Vulcan Logician, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Vulcan Logician

Vulcan Logician Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Which alien species from Trek do you most identify with? And why?

I'll start:

Vulcans.

I am a logical person, but this is not why I identify with Vulcans. Vulcans are thoroughly misunderstood, in every instance. Their lack of emotion is interpreted through an obscure emotional prism. Often people (incorrectly) assume that Vulcans simply don't care. They care. They just remain clear-headed regardless. I am not emotional to a great degree. And this often leads to people misunderstanding me. I care, but I simply prefer to remain detached.

What species do YOU identify with the most?

2. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

I don't know that there's a single species with whom I most identify. Like yourself, I'm an extremely logical and analytical person, so I can empathize with Vulcans; however, I also feel a strong sense of pride in my career and believe strongly in the idea of service to a cause greater than oneself, which any Romulan character would appreciate.

--Sran

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

At times I can be Vulcan like in my ability to put aside my emotions. I can also have the single-minded drive of a Jem'Hadar. I also have money-saving techniques which could make me the envy of any Ferengi.

4. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

Vulcan/Risian hybrid. I'm often detached from my emotions, but I'm always a big fan of the jamaharon.

5. Vulcan Logician

Vulcan Logician Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If you identify with an amalgamation of species (two or more) by all means express yourself.

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Bajorans.

I tend to get really emotionally involved in politics. I'm not spiritual like they are, but I can absolutely identify with feeling powerless against governments controlling my fate for their own interests.

7. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Humans.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I would say I lean slightly towards Vulcan. I try and keep my emotions in check. Tend to be ruled by my head more than my heart. Though that doesn't mean I'm like that all of the time.

9. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

You will be a terrible person if you get a lot of promtions.

10. Portal

Portal Commander Red Shirt

What an interesting question. I think I most identify with Betazoids. I can be quite emotional at times, even eccentric. And I often enjoy indulging in culinary delicacies.

11. Captain Clark Terrell

Not necessarily. A promotion would offer greater responsibility and influence with which to help others; therefore, it would be only logical that I make the most of such an opportunity.

--Sran

12. RXTT

RXTT Lieutenant Red Shirt

Q continuum

13. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

Romulan.

Can be very controlled and logical but then flip to be very emotional and passionate.

14. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

Weren't most high ranking romulans terrible people?

15. Captain Clark Terrell

They're portrayed that way, but most of Star Trek is written from the perspective of humanity. As a civilization, we tend to distrust individuals and governments that relentlessly pry into our private lives. There's no telling how a Romulan would view such behavior, however. It's entirely possible that they see the Big Brother element of the Tal Shiar as merely another means of providing security (although I doubt it). In any case, I never viewed the Romulan Commanders of The Original Series in a negative light, nor did I have a problem with Admiral Jarok, who risked his life to ensure a better future for his people.

--Sran

16. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I've identified with Vulcans ever since the original Trek was on NBC back in the '60s. I tend to be reserved and aloof, and I don't like to show emotion. I can also be a pedantic asshole sometimes. :vulcan:

17. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

They are still mostly scum with an openly imperialist government.

18. Captain Clark Terrell

That doesn't mean there aren't aspects of their culture one can admire and relate to. One can disagree with another person's way of life but still respect his right to live as he pleases.

--Sran

19. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Remember that the TOS Romulans (who were introduced before the Klingons) were conceived as the good bad guys. Although warlike and ruthless, they had admirable traits like bravery, integrity, stoicism, and devotion to duty.

With the debut of ST:TNG and the Federation-Klingon alliance, the Romulans became the bad bad guys. Even the constant-surveillance stuff was taken from the Klingon Commander Kor's lines in "Errand of Mercy."

20. Captain Clark Terrell

This is how I see the Romulans. The elements of secrecy were present in their society when they were first introduced, but they exhibted the qualities you've mentioned, too.

As Star Trek is written from a human perspecitve, it's not surprising that the Romulans would be portrayed differently once the Federation and the Klingons became allies, especially when one considers the history between the Klingon and Romulan Empires. But even the TNG Romulans featured noble characters like Jarok, N'Vek ("Face of the Enemy"), or the members of Spock's underground movement. Senator Cretak was an honorable woman, too, IMO.

--Sran