arrrgh!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Bigjoe

Bigjoe Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well a lorry reversed into the rear of my car in the work yard. :(

That is my rant for the day.

2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

aww, that sucks! Can the car be repaired or is it damaged too badly?

3. Bigjoe

Thankfully only the boot needs replacing. Still going to cost nearly a £1000 for repair and respray. :(

4. Retu

Retu Commander Red Shirt

Car repairs are expensive. :( I managed to break the plastic back cover of a side mirror in my car. Replacing that alone cost me 150 euros. A small piece of plastic. :confused:

5. Bigjoe

I wouldn't have minded so much if I had caused the damage myself. Not sure how people can just drive off knowing what damage they have caused.

6. rhubarbodendron

^Retu, next time have a look at a junk metal place. They often sell used car parts at a very low place

Today's Arrrgh: the central heating appears to be out of order. Fortunately, my place is well isolated and if by tonight it's too cold I'll take my hamster and my folding bed to my office (where the heating works perfectly :) )

7. Ghost07

Ghost07 Vice Admiral In Memoriam

We've been 2 weeks without hot water! The first couple times, they tried fixing it with a bandaid...NOW they finally called a plumber. Management didn't like having to spend actual money on repairs...the hot water thingy sounds like it might explode any second.

Well, yesterday afternoon, they said it was fixed; we'll see if it works today. Personally, I refuse to shower in freezing water.

8. Retu

Retu Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, I could've done that, but there aren't many junkyards where I live. Also plastic parts are a bit iffy to get second hand. At least those that are secured in place just by pushing it in. Usually one or more of the fastening clips are broken off. And I got the matching color. :)

We also had problems with heat last week. There was an outage in the local power plant which caused the district heating to shut off. It also caused a pressure fluctuation in the heating pipes, causing one of them to burst. So not only we didn't have any heat, the street was also flooded with boiling bright green water.

9. rhubarbodendron

green?? Oh, I see! You have copper pipes. Pretty dangerous stuff - the green is Copper Oxide which can turn into Copper Sulfate. The latter is poisonous.

Poor Ghostie!!! Do you have a water cooker? That'd give at least enough hot water for washing, though not for showering.
    It's quite a scandal imo that they didn't repair ist earlier. The noises might possibly come from air bubbles still caught in the tubes. They should gradually come out within a few days.

Fortunately, my heating revived again in the late afternoon. Not full strength and only on one side of the house but it's better than nothing (at least it's the right half: the one with my bedroom :D ). I have a suspicion that it's an emergency system that doesn't have the full strength.
    Fortunately, the appartments on the top of the block and the mall at the lower 2 floors are both sevred by teh same heating system, so that I am reasonably confident the repair will go fast. Nobody shops in a cold mall so that every delay costs them a lot of profit.

10. Retu

Retu Commander Red Shirt

Nah, the green is just slightly fluorescent dye they put in the water used in district heating. Makes leak detection easier. It's completely non-toxic. Of course I wouldn't recommend drinking the water since it has been circulating in those pipes for quite a long time. :)

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Doesn't the Lorry drivers insurance cover the cost of repairs?

12. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, this whole conversation on heating had me confused until I looked up "district heating". Never heard of that until today. Everywhere I've lived, each house/unit/whatever has had its own heating/AC system.

13. rhubarbodendron

we have quite a lot of it here in Germany. Most wastewater treatment facilities collect the sludge and let it ferment in order to produce gas. As a side effect the fermentation also gives off a lot if heat which is used to heat both the facility and any nearby houses, hospitals, schools etc.
    In an asparagus farming area in my region they even give some asparagus beds a floor heating, resulting in an earlier harvest. In my opinion his practice is rather irresponsible as long as there are humans who can hardly afford proper heating. I therefore boycot this unnaturally grown asparagus and rather wait 4 weeks longer for the real thing (which is tastier anyway)

14. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

District heating is the norm in Denmark, just saying.

15. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I ran out of gas again.
    Normally I put on £10 a week and I still have a a little bit left when I top up again.
    With the recent cold snap I excepted it to run out a little sooner than normal , but I topped up on Thursday and it ran out today.:klingon:

16. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Do you have a locking gas filler cap?

17. Serial thread killer

Its a prepaid meter, you put your money on to a card or key then put the card or key into the meter and you get your gas.

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

You're assuming the lorry driver stuck around.

19. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

I think Melakon is suspecting someone for siphoning gas from your tank ;)

20. Serial thread killer

Oh I forgot you call petrol gas.:lol: