Shore Leave

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by terpette, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I think this sums it up....

[​IMG]

2. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As far as I know, Medical and Sciences have always been presented as being seperate departments despite their shared colour, just as Operations/Engineering and Security are seperate despite both being yellow.

Ficitiously yours, Trent Roman

3. Dancing Doctor

Dancing Doctor Admiral Admiral

You're correct, Trent.

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

The way I see it is that Starfleet currently has three primary branches but there are divisions within those branches:
    COMMAND: Command, Astrogation, General services
    OPERATIONS: Operations, Engineering, Security
    SCIENCES: Sciences, Medical

I would place anyone wearing blue as coming from sciences--regardless if they're a science officer, a doctor, or a counselor--because they're related fields...

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The TV shows have always had three divisions. It was TOS movies that split them further, separating medical and science.

In any case, Dax has done both.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been meaning to ask, is that the official title? If so would it be ok if I added to the Memory Beta entry.

7. Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson Writer Premium Member

Home from Shore Leave; what a blast, as always. :) If you didn't make it there, you missed out on special releases of both Myriad Universe books and Christopher Bennett's Greater Than the Sum. There was also a nice giveaway for the people who went to the Pocket Books' presentation on Friday night, containing excerpts from Greater Than the Sum, Kobayashi Maru, and Dave Mack's first Destiny book.

See what you miss if you don't go? ;) :D

8. Trent Roman

^ Sadist. :scream: :p

So how long before some bootleg copies of those excerpts start showing up? Come on, Shore Leave attendees, boot those legs!

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

9. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That sucks. I hate that I missed it but one of these days I will eventually make an appearence myself. I can't wait for the Ship of the Line calendar to come out. Even through I missed this year's, the one for next looks interesting. I have to say that quantum slipstream starship looks kind of interesting. Looks like a smaller ship as well.

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Thanks so much. :p

Regretted not being able to go last year, and I talked myself out of planning for it this year... assuming I'd need to give three months notice for long service leave - and of course it turned out to fall in the middle weekend of a two-week term vacation, so I coulda gone without the boss's blessing. Fare woulda been expensive, though.

And now I miss out on the ST Experience as well, 'cos it packs up at the end of August. I was last in the USA way back in January 1992 - DS9 was announced in the newspapers on my last morning in Hawaii. How time flies. Never been to Shore Leave - and I really didn't think it would be so long before my next trip. Sigh...

12. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Bastard. :censored:

I would have gone if I could!

13. Dancing Doctor

Dancing Doctor Admiral Admiral

One day, possibly next year, I will make my presence known at Shore Leave...because I'm insanely jealous of all who went and of the awesomeness of the event.

14. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

I just posted in the upcoming schedule thread -- it answers some of the questions posed here.

And what Jim said -- Shore Leave rocked this year. :)

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're not the only one. I've been wanting to go for years now, but it keeps sneaking up on me before I have a chance to actually make any plans to go. And there's the fact that I've never traveled alone before, so that also makes me kinda nervous.

16. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Great line up and with the trade paperbacks we are almost back to two books a month. Now I must go speak with my bank manager...

17. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

one day, i'm going to get to the US in July and be at Shore Leave and ComicCon...

maybe if my book takes off, i'll get invited...

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Alas, I got the news too late. I would've liked to see that panel. Except in that hour I was busy getting ready to check out of my room.

I got a rather nice chicken caesar wrap, which was a bit pricey, but I didn't have many other options.

By the way, one thing I discovered on the way back from Shore Leave last year, and took advantage of again this year: 7-Eleven sells surprisingly good shrinkwrapped sandwiches. Most convenience stores' sandwiches are just styrofoam white bread around processed meat and fake cheese, but these are downright gourmet food by comparison. I think the one I had for lunch on Friday was turkey with dill Havarti cheese and roasted tomatoes on focaccia bread.

Yep. When we show you Aili Lavena, we don't do it by half-measures!

Bookstores love trade paperbacks because they bring in a higher "price point" (i.e. more money per copy) and are apparently considered more prestigious-looking. So expect to see an increasing number of TPBs in the future.

According to TrekMovie.com, it isn't.

So... you'll buy a TPB that reprints comic books, but you won't buy a brand-new TPB?

Well, if the shows could do titles like "A Fistful of Datas" and "Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places," I don't see why "Reservoir Ferengi" would be a problem.

19. Trent Roman

The question was tangentional on whether there would be an MMPB reprint (which we still don't have an answer for, by the way, to anybody in the know who might be reading). Different mediums work best in different formats, not too strangely. TPB are best for comics because you don't have to deal with the flimsiness of individual comics, or the adverts, or the gaps of time between the squirt of story a single comic actually contains. MMPB are better for prose because of their portability, and there's no imagery where a larger page might be advantageous.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

20. Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson Writer Premium Member

Andi and I packed a cooler from home with lunchmeats and bread and stuff for lunches on Saturday since we were sick to death of the crappy cafe food four years in a row. It's an advantage to driving in which I know a lot of people aren't able to do, of course.

Maybe we need to work out something for next year. Nothing wrong with saving a little money and (heaven forbid) eating somewhat healthy. :D