ELEMENTARY - News, Reviews, and Discussion

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Allyn Gibson, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You do understand that anyone who has 2.2 million in spare cash will not have it in their savings account or sock draw. Holmes would have needed to call his lawyer, accountant or financial manager, all of who could have been his father, who was working for him, or someone who he sarcastically calls "father" if the dialogue from the episode which I don't recall, moved in that direction.

:)

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The conversation in tonight's episode between Watson and Holmes in Bell's apartment makes it clear that there is a Holmes father with the power of the purse. Not a lawyer, not a codename.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yay! Watson is now officially Watson! I'm glad they didn't artificially drag it out any longer by having Joan decline Holmes's offer -- it's been delayed long enough as it is. Anyway, the scene where Holmes made his pitch to her was kinda riveting. Good stuff. The plot with Bell was effective too, helped flesh him out more, though it was obvious who the culprit would be simply from the fact that so much attention was paid to that particular character. It would've been more effective if they'd introduced her as a recurring player in a few earlier episodes first.

4. Guy Gardener

That's true, only if Holmes junior isn't lying, which is the argument that i was making, that he is lying. Besides the Therapist said that Holmes is so smart and deductive that he should have known her game almost immediately... But we're supposed to believe that almost a month went by and the worlds greatest detective only figured out that he was being played for a fool because his father told him the truth?

Even if we meet the father, it could still be an actor... Just like last time almost.

There is a fun murder mystery show called Death in Paradise airing in England right now where a murderer was caught because she was supposed to alibi out her accomplice by cellphoning him while the murder was happening, but because she knew that her compatriot was busy murdering her husband, she didn't bother making the call which should have proved both their innocence, and just said that she had to the police when they were making her timeline, which is what stitched her up after the cops checked her cell phone records.

NEVER BREAK CHARACTER!

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

How so?
    "Your not working for my father! he told me!"

can't be a lie? As Guy said, Holmes, the great detective, had to be told by his father?

As also has been pointed out, even if he wasn't calling his father last week, he had to call someone to retrieve the money.

The way it's going, the writers could take it either way. "Father" may be a fiction of Holmes or a real (in terms of the show's universe) person.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

A recurring motif in last night's episode was that Holmes doesn't see everything.

Nothing about Bell's apartment told him that Bell had a brother.
    Watson, not Holmes, sees the evidence that linked Reyes to the murder.

There's two. It's entirely plausible that Holmes missed the third -- that Watson was no longer being paid to be his sober companion -- because she continued to behave as though she were, giving him no reason to believe that she wasn't. Holmes is smart. Holmes is observant. But Holmes isn't infallible.

7. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A genuine human being who is a terriblly remote and disinterested father fits this Hlolmes character better. If there is no father to hire a sober companion, then Holmes has been pretending to pass through an arc of resenting one foisted upon him to learning to accept her help. A plot twist that reveals everything that passed before to have been fake merely for a sensational twist? It would make about as much sense for Holmes to turn out to be a Cylon.

8. Guy Gardener

If he was hiring sober companions to play with.... The confidentiality clause would stop them from warning each other about Holmes, and if he's truly horrible he might pay them off big time at the end with an impressive bonus.

Human toys?

Practice dummies?

Long term observational subjects?

Remember the Sound of Music where they're explaining to Julie Andrews what happened to the 11 Governesses before they solved a problem like Maria?

GOOD LORD!

What if he owns the Sober Companion Company which would mean that he really, really choses and vets who they send him to make sure that he has a good time?

9. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Agreed, wholeheartedly.

10. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I think Joan loves Sherlock, but she isn't in love with him. I think the feeling is mutual.

I don't believe that this show is duplicating Magnum PI where one character was rumored to be an unseen character. I believe that there are two characters, Sherlock and his father.

I find, for myself, interesting that they used an alternate take in the episode. In the trailer, there is a shot of a tennis ball hitting Joan in the head; however, the shot, which is from the front, shows Sherlock lobbing the ball at Joan's back. I liked how Joan expressed her anger with the lock display and, later, the basketball.

11. Christopher

I think she loves his lifestyle, the world he's introduced her to. And he sees that she shares his love of mysteries and detective work.

What worries me was that line from Sherlock about not quite being sure why Watson made him better, and how he might solve that mystery in time -- followed by an uneasy look between them. That felt uncomfortably like an Unresolved Sexual Tension beat. I really hope they don't go there.

12. throwback

I was reading a review of this episode where someone asked if a victim would write a message out in their blood. I know this has happened in real life. The most poignant for me is one case where a dying pregnant woman left a message for her dead husband on the wall of their basement. Both she and her husband had been shot by a teenager who wanted to know what it felt like to take life. The message she left for her husband was one that had been used by her through their courtship and their marriage. The message read, "I love you".

I have a question. Who was driving the shooter's car? Did the writers forget this detail? (It's not as egregious as the one I saw in the latest CSI where the coroner determined that there was no sexual assault on a victim, but every other law enforcement character later said that the victim had been raped. It gets weirder and grosser when it's revealed that the victim's killer was her sister.)

13. Christopher

No; Holmes specifically pointed out in dialogue that one of the reasons the gun used was good for a drive-by shooting was that it could be wielded one-handed and thus fired while driving. So there was only one person in the car, the shooter.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

"Higgins is Robin Masters" was only played up in the last couple of seasons. Originally Robin Masters was definitely intended to be "real".

15. Guy Gardener

There was an episode where Robin's asshole teenage Nephew showed up and caused some serious havoc.

Did the Nephew play along with Robin's game, was he a conman and not Robin's nephew at all, or was the whole scheme devised by Higgins/Robin to screw with Magnum?

In the final season, Jessica Fletcher was on site and if Higgins really was a billionaire playboy that's the A-game he should have brought to the table to tap that.

Please imagine an Elementary/Murder She Wrote cross-over... Now hold that feeling in, hold it, hold it, and enjoy the light headed buzz.

16. throwback

I will need to review the episode later tonight. My memory of the shooting is that the gun was fired from the passenger side. I, also, remember that Holmes identified the gun as an AP-15. This is a carbine rifle. In this video, the shooter is using both hands to use the rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPDuzmYXRJY

Maybe I am not able to conceptualize this, but I can't see how a person can simultaneous fire a rifle and drive a car perfectly straight in a lane.

And, I love how Detective Bell's car manage to find the one construction zone with a ramp so that the car could execute a perfect stuntcar crash. :guffaw:

17. Guy Gardener

Your mother never used to drive with her knees while applying make up, when she'd take you to school?

18. Christopher

Well, maybe they got their research wrong; it would hardly be the first time in the history of television. But Holmes did definitely say the gun could be fired one-handed, so the intent of the writers was that there was only one person in the car, even if the details don't mesh with reality.

19. Guy Gardener

They also said several times the the gun had been modified.

A soldier of fortune magazine, a file and 30 minutes can do wonders.

20. kNkg

kNkg Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It was a MP5 not AP-15.