World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Okay, here are some questions:

How does Nero end up in the Klingon prison?

How are the Klingons presented?

Any references to Kirk's time on Tarsus IV, or Gary Mitchell? (personally I doubt this)

Is the Enterprise a "brand new" starship when it is launched with Kirk on board, as we've heard?

Is Kirk a cadet when he comes aboard or not?

What references are there to Enterprise (besides the bit about Scotty and Admiral Archer's beagle)?

Just what is Nero's plan in the 23rd century?

What happens to Pike at the end of the movie?

IS VULCAN DESTROYED???

2. btflash

btflash Captain Captain

i'm curious if pike is killed, incapacitated, or captured in the film.

3. ClayHefner

ClayHefner Commander Red Shirt

From Odo Itals's thread

Captain Pike goes aboard the Romulan ship, Spock is left in command, and Kirk leads the mission to destroy the weapon [...].
    And this is where big changes start, separating this movie’s reality from the rest of the franchise. Nero, the leader of the Romulans from the future, has created an alternate reality. A point that is hit over the head a few times, by Spock & Uhura, by Ambassador Spock to young Kirk....

Obviously, the alternate reality has NOTHING to do with the design changes, because it happens well after the newly designed ship, bridge, uniforms etc. are shown to us but is rather a vehicle to make future changes possible.

I would like that (I hate the idea of this being some "ENT sequel")
    It also would seem that the design changes might not be explained in any way. Good.

Seems it's a remake AND a reboot after all. w00t
    it would also mean that Kirk's backstory is the way "it was supposed to happen", even in the old timeline.

4. El Chupacabra

El Chupacabra Commodore Commodore

That doesn't really make sense. Why would Pike going aboard the Romulan ship create the alternate reality? Surely the destruction of the Kelvin would?

5. Iano

Iano Lieutenant Red Shirt

Nimoy does the speech at the end.

There are 24th Century bits. :)

6. Cheebo

Cheebo Captain Captain

What bits?

7. ClayHefner

Yeah, strange. I hope that will all be cleared up soon.

8. Iano

Nero is from the 24th century as is Ambassador Spock. Events unfold in the 24th Century that cause Nero and Spock to travel back in time.

9. Iano

Spock Prime does not die. Vulcan is destroyed. Pike is tortured by Nero, but is saved. Robau is killed by Nero.

10. Cheebo

Cheebo Captain Captain

Pike lives? Woo.

I guess that means BEEPING CHAIR PIKE COULD STILL HAPPEN IN THIS TIMELINE!!! :eek:

11. Iano

Here's my thoughts on the alternate universe, I'm going to lay out a bulk of the plot so be warned!

So basically everything is changed when Nero travels back through time, he is determined to destroy all planets in the federation as retribution for the destruction of Romulus in the 24th century. Obviously the big change to the universe is the destruction of Vulcan. I don't think this spoils Kirk in any fashion, the movie does note how in the alternate universe Kirk's father was alive and saw him make Captain, in this universe Kirk's father is killed in battle with Nero. The characteristics of all the crew members remain true to the TOS, with the exception of Spock who is in constant battle with his human half and displays a lot of emotion. I'm not sure how this will tie in with Pike's future, they do show him in a wheelchair at the end of the movie.

12. El Chupacabra

El Chupacabra Commodore Commodore

Christ, a Trekverse without Vulcan? I'm not sure how I can digest that. Obviously it may well make for some interesting storytelling, but Vulcans as the refugees of the galaxy? No, this is one major difference I'm not yet comfortable with.

Still, this reaffirms my desire to treat the nuTOS characters as different characters from Shatner & Nimoy, so its tolerable I guess.

13. locborg

locborg Commander Red Shirt

well this is the basic star trek countdown backstory. but did spock specifically mention that the crew of the enterprise-e tried to stop nero?

does the film give an explanation why technology appears to be more advanced compared to the original tos timeline?

14. Carpe Occasio

Carpe Occasio Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Moved to spoilers discussion thread

"The flick starts out with a bang as the USS Kelvin is attacked by a giant Romulan ship that appears out of a black hole. The ship is almost instantly crippled, the Captain summoned by Nero, the movie’s villain who is searching for Spock. When the Captain leaves, he promotes a young man named George Kirk to captain the ship."

"Young Kirk honorably runs the ship, successfully evacuating everybody before it is destroyed, including his wife, in the middle of giving birth. It’s actually a very touching scene, about as perfectly effecting and emotional as I could have hoped for."

"It also kicks off the real split between this universe and the Trek universe we all know. Without any cop-outs, Abrams and his team establish that with this single event everything has changed. In short, it’s the perfect set up for a reboot. It can (and does, with Nimoy’s appearance as Spock Prime, as he’s listed in the credits) respect the originals while being free to do its own thing."

"Everything we have seen still exists, just not in this reality. I think it’s pretty genius, actually, but only if they stick to this universe now. I’d hate to see them go back and forth with the existing Trek reality and this one in further sequels. I like the world (or maybe universe is a better term considering the material) that Abrams and his team has created here. I like the cast he assembled, I like the way this new universe turns some old Trek landmarks on their heads, while keeping true to what’s really important to each character."

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40675

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did urbandk see this? I await his review - in the meantime, perhaps Iano will at some point include some detail that hasn't either been reported widely for months or lifted from one of the many other synospes/reviews appearing online.

As far as when the timeline separates -
    several reviews have made it clear that the timeline is rebooted when the Kelvin is destroyed. I think what Odo Ital is suggesting is that the events following Pike's personal surrender to Nero are the big ones that would affect events that we've already seen in "Star Trek." IOW, Kirk not knowing his father does not eliminate "Amok Time." The destruction of Vulcan, however, does.

16. oneal_cj

oneal_cj Ensign Newbie

Do we see any other Federation Ships other than the Kelvin and Enterprise in the film???

17. ClayHefner

What I still don't get:
    Why doesn't Nero do something "productive" instead if he has all that TT tech and a mighty ship? Like forcing the Senate to evacuate Romulus in the past or something.
    And/or make a short stop in the time before the disaster to grab his wife and kids and rescue them? I mean revenge is cool and all...

18. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Do we get to see engineering in the movie? Does it look like the dreaded pipes we've all been seeing?

Why is Scotty swimming in the water tubes?

How does Romulus get destroyed?

Does the Narada use Borg technology? How is it so powerful?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  19. ClayHefner

makes sense

20. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

IANO is the new TrekBBS king . lol