Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the works

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the work

This movie, to me, just looks dumb. I'll likely go see it but there's not much about it that looks good. The mechanical ax thing just seems silly.

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'm sick of vampires and Tim Burton has made a lot of bad movies lately.

RAMA

3. Trekker4747

"Lately" being the last 10 years. ;)

But he's only an EP in this movie meaning his usual tropes won't be in it.

4. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Given the trailers we've seen, the movie strikes me as little more than absurdity, knowing it all the way. So just take it as that until the film actually comes out.

So dial back on politics and being affronted and relax, okay guys?

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's supposed to be a little absurd...the book though really should be read before watching the movie, and Burton as has been mentioned prior in the thread is only the Executive Producer. The author of the book, also wrote the screenplay, and the director has shown he has a natural flair with vampires given his cult Russian vampire duology.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The book should be read anyway, it is fucking awesome.

7. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I absolutely loved the book. Really clever and well done.

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I get to see this movie for free! (Stupid theater where I saw Avengers didn't start the movie on time, so they gave us all free tix to apologize.) It's the closest to me - walking distance - so I guess I'll give them another chance to do it right this time. :p

9. Temis the Vorta

Analysis of box office potential.

I've been seeing/hearing mixed buzz on this one, divided between WTF?!? and WOW COOL. The good news, it's no John Carter and doesn't need to make big bucks to be seen as a success. Its competition this weekend is a big movie for kids (which should also have strong grownup appeal) and a Steve Carrell romance, which gives it a shot at the young male comic book movie crowd.

10. Admiral_Young

Should be interesting to see how it does up against "Brave" and "Seeking A Friend For the End of the World". I can't wait. I'm gonna try seeing it this weekend...more likely will see it next weekend.

11. Trekker4747

I think "Brave" will pretty easily take the weekend.

12. Admiral_Young

Indeed. Family films usually do take the weekend and "Brave" has been highly anticipated I believe right?

13. Trekker4747

I'm not sure how "highly anticipated" it is, but it certainly looks very good and the trailers get positive reactions. Plus it's a Disney/Pixar film which alone guarantees a #1 opening. The question is what will take #2, the Steve Carrell comedy or Lincoln?

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yeah, a 70M budget is better than a 250M budget.

I still don't know why Disney thought it was a good idea to spend 250 million to make that stupid John Carter movie.

Avengers really saved their asses this year.

15. Temis the Vorta

Oh I'm sure Brave will do a tap dance on Abe's head. That one has "monster Pixar hit du jour" written all over it.

16. Temis the Vorta

EW sneers at Abe's buzz building mojo, but predicts twice the BO of Steve Carrell's opus.

17. Temis the Vorta

Counter-programming (against a kid-skewing Pixar hit and rom-com) may have paid off: Abe is doing better than expected.
    Brrr...don't mention Cowboys & Aliens! :rommie:

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, are we using this thread to discuss the movie? Srew it, we are now.

An excellent movie, if I do say so myself. Pretty damn cool throughout with some rather creative action scenes. On in particular, Lincoln is fighting a vampire among a rampaging stampede of horses. The vampire actually lifts up a horse and throws it at Lincoln. Seriously, when was the last time anyone saw shit that cool in a movie?

I was a bit disappointed by the lack of historical accuracy. Before you start going "how accurate do you expect a movie about Abraham Lincoln fighting vampires to be?" let me explain. The book is is remarkably accurate to historal facts. As I've explained before, it's basically Lincoln's biography as well as an account of the events that went on throughout his life, that just happens to have vampires inserted into it, and they are inserted in such a way that you would think they were real. The movie is rather liberal in its depiction of history, most glaring of all Lincoln's family. Particularly, how many children he had. This is done for obvious needs of the story and really it's no worse than most movies based on actual historical events/people, but I find it jarring.

There was actually alot of material from the book left out of the movie that I thought would have been great additions. For the most part, I understand why this is, the book would have been unfilmable were it faithfully adapted. And while the book is basically Lincoln's life story, this movie is really just his beginnings as a lowly vampire hunter moving onto his time as President when he fought against them in war And really, there's enough there to fill one movie, so I can accept other stuff left out. Still all this said, I would have loved it if the book's actual epilogue were included in the movie. It almost seemed as though they were going to do a variation on it in the movie's actual final scene, but they went in a different direction with that. The scene itself is a fitting bookend to the movie's beginning.

Historical accuracy and faithfulness to the book aside, this movie is really cool with and great entertainment. I definately recommend it and rate it 9 out of 10.

19. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

The film was utterly ridiculous but somewhat hilarious.

-Rufus Sewell continues to be awesome in whatever he's in. I enjoyed his performances in John Adams and The Illusionist and enjoyed him here.

-Benjen Stark is Lincoln's father!

-Alan Tuderyk is Stephen Douglas. As I recall, Mary Todd was his ex-girlfriend.

20. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Richard Roeper, formerly of Ebert and Roeper at the movies, loved it. He warns that people going in not expecting it to be big, brash, and over the top are missing the point as are some critics who are taking it all too seriously, that both groups are bound to hate it. He gave the movie a B+ and called it great fun. Finally, a critic who notices the astonishing resemblance between Ben Walker and a young Liam Neeson. Something about his stature and the bone structure of his face.