Polar Lights NX-01 "Refit"

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by 137th Gebirg, Sep 27, 2013.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

So, PL's NX-01 "Refit", designed by Doug Drexler, has been made into a plastic model kit. I think this may be the first time a Star Trek model has been made, mass-production, by a licensed company, without the ship in question ever having been shown on-screen.

Does this mean it's canon now? If not, it seems to really stretching the boundaries of the definition of "canon" that have been, til now, fairly solid.

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

It's canon as far as the novels go, but that's about it.

If it wasn't on screen, it ain't canon...

3. 137th Gebirg

But that's just it - it's more than just in the novels now. It's a physical real model. The fact that Paramount and Round 2 took a chance at releasing something that has never appeared on-screen for the first time is quite significant and can't be discounted. Nobody does anything in the corporate world without thinking they might make some profit off of it. How many people really read the books? How much of the casual fandom even knows that the concept of a refit ever existed and that there would be enough of an established interest in investing in something like this?

There's something wholly different about this one.

4. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably not "canon", but at least "official" in the sense the CBS/Paramount/Whomever Actually Owns Star Trek This Week is willing to make money from it. sort of like the space that is inhabited by the novels published by Pocket. Official, in that the copyright holder makes the money, but not "canon" as they can be superceded and/or ignored by the "real" on-screen Star Trek product.

5. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

IIRC, didn't the NX-01 Refit concept/design first appear in the "Ships of the Line" calander, another licensed product?

At any rate, I look at this as a licensed kitbash. From Round 2's prospective, this makes sense - minimal new tooling and they get a whole new kit to sell (and re-release for years to come) at a minimal up front investment. Paramount get's their cut, so too would Drexler (I suppose).

As to canon or not, I leave that to others. I'll probably pick up a kit or two on clearance just to toss into the collection..

Q2

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm not sure there is any real financial risk for Paramount. :techman:

Though I do think the "refit" is hideous looking.

7. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

According to the strict definition of canon, no, it's not canon. It wasn't shown on-screen, and the NX-01 shown in TATV didn't have the modifications. Whether people choose to ignore that is a whole different question.

8. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

Canon is a set of rules. On Screen "evidence" can be taken in conjunction with the written word as per the creators and authorized writers. So, yes, if it was a licenced item then by all accounts it's being validated as canon unless the owners of Star Trek decide otherwise.

canon

noun

Definition of CANON

a statement or body of statements concerning faith or morals proclaimed by a church <members of the church must abide by its canons> Synonyms canon, dogma
    Related Words canon law; belief, conviction, tenet; credo, creed, ideology (also idealogy), philosophy, theology; axiom, precept, principle; symbol

a record of a series of items (as names or titles) usually arranged according to some system <the canon of plays that are attributed to William Shakespeare> Synonyms canon, catalog (or catalogue), checklist, listing, menu, register, registry, roll, roll call, roster, schedule, table
    Related Words agenda, bibliography, catalogue raisonné, compendium, compilation, directory, docket, enumeration, glossary, index, inventory, manifest, payroll; calendar, chronology, timetable

a collection or system of rules of conduct <the ABA Model Code of Professional Responsibility is a lawyer's canon> Synonyms canon, constitution, decalogue, law
    Related Words discipline, establishment; common law, legislation

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The refit is named the "Columbia Class" and both the NX-01 Enterprise and NX-06 Endeavour have been refitted to it during or after the Romulan war.

According to the 15th Enterprise novel, the first in the "Rise of the Federation" series as part of the novel continuation.

So it's as canon as the novels that are continuing the Primeverse.

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

It's not specifed in the novels whether Enterprise get's the refit - I checked with Christopher who wants to leave it to the reader to decide.

He likes to think it did though...

11. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, not really. Some people may take other licensed material and work around that, but as for Star Trek as a whole, unless it's been on screen, it's not officially canon. Licensed works are a different ball of wax.

12. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Well... I can think of one other such entry... Back in the good old days, an officially licensed mass-production kit of Spock phasering a giant three-headed snake was released which never appeared in any episode or movie.

Of course, that's not a ship.

--Alex

13. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Canon or not, it was necessary from a marketing perspective. The kit can also be built in the original configuration so re-releasing the kit with the refit parts provides added value for new customers and re-purchase incentive for people who bought the original issue.

14. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

What is the extra addition body section supposed to do for the ship anyway? I can see an advantage to having more internal space. But given that the ship retains the original twin warp engines wouldn't speed, range and malnuverablity be seriously reduced?

:)

15. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

It might affect maneuverability, and perhaps speed. But with the additional volume, you can have a larger warp reactor (more power), carry more fuel and supplies (added range - good for exploring), and more personnel (if needed).

16. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

the NX-01refit looks great, canon or not its a brilliant looking ship, i would be interested in seeing the specs for it and the internal graphic info, how much things changed in it and such.

17. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Perhaps there is an intention to use the refit design in an upcoming movie? A Yesterday's Enterprise sort of thing, only with Bakula and crew, could be pretty freakin' SWEET. (By that, I mean a crossover plot, not necessarily the specifics like Narendra III and such.)

18. 137th Gebirg

That's what I'm thinking - some kind of advance marketing effort to see how popular something like that would be.

19. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I understand what they tried to do, but yeah: the ship is terrible.

Ugh. No. Just no.

20. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Oh, please. PLEASE put Bakula's puny little ship face-to-face with NuKirk's Abramsprise. You thought the latter looked small next to the Vengeance... :devil: