Ant-Man: Info, Pics, Rumors, Casting and Details till release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

To be fair, it is an Ant-Man movie. Unlike heroes like the Hulk, Iron Man, or Captain America, he really is obscure to the general public. And even if you are familiar with him, it's hard to argue that he's just kind of a meh character all around. Sure, he's got brains and was responsible for quite a bit of the metaplot, but with Tony Stark being the father of Ultron, well...

I dunno. I'd, personally, not want to have to be responsible for trying to make "Ant-Man" cool. I can see why a lot of directors would be passing on that opportunity.

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, to be fair, they didn't complain. I mean Superhero films are on the upswing, and first phase or two of the MCU is pretty successful.. quantifiable, it's a good career move for any director.

But film directors don't get into that business to merely sell out, unless your last name is Ratner. They'd rather inject in their own soul into a film than someone else's. I think the television-model that Marvel is following his becoming more and more obvious as the phases continue.. and I also think that these directors see what I see: that much of the Avenger's success was a novelty thing (seeing heroes form different films together in one film). You can only really have that novelty once, but I guarantee it that Marvel is trying to capture that again. Mackey (who played Falcon in Winter Soldier) said what I said, that that film was actually Avengers 1.5.

I don't think Spielberg, Zemeckis, or the Lucas of old who have brought out all of their great, visionary early blockbusters if their vision rested in the hands of some producer who (seemingly) has no qualifications save for the fact that he likes comic books.

Remember all the work, that went into those early blockbusters, work that stands apart because there was no guarantee that any of it would actually on screen. The filmmakers had to have a lot of faith and hard work and do everything they could to make sure it worked.. bringing every talent to bear on the project. These days, they plan, shoot, and go to post for a crapload of CGI. I think the most impressive thing about the MCU is how good Iron Man's suit looks on film.. I'll give them that. But there's little risk that something won't work.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has anyone ever made a film without a director?

Just give the script to the actors and tech, then tell them that they'll get paid after they come back with a movie in 2 weeks.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Apparently Wright is wrong too.

Thank you very much. I'll be here all week. Be sure to tip your waiter.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Warners and DC comics have been paying every director in Hollywood to not do Antman. :p

6. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm curious as to which of the Marvel directors you consider A-List, because I don't think any of them are on the same level as Spielberg, Lucas, Coppola, Scorsese, etc..

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Is Lucas really an A-list director? He only directs his own movies? He's a slightly less prolific Tarantino in that regard.

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Getting to a position where you can self-finance blockbuster movies, and direct nothing but your own movies, is something many directors dream of and very few achieve. Lucas is absolutely an A-list director.

9. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, but I think the number of movies should be a factor as well. Not that it really matters. Lucas isn't going to direct any more movies, so he's not in any discussion for future A-list directors no matter what.

Although I hear they're looking for an Ant-Man director if he's interested.

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

I don't think number of movies matters. It's power in the industry and name recognition with the public that are important. James Cameron isn't prolific at all, but he's very much an A-list director.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

At this point, I think the name "Ant-Man" is too embarrassing for any real director to want to get involved with.:p

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

One site - albeit not a particularly well-established one - is claiming a deal is being worked out for Rawson Marshall Thurber to direct as kind of the last man standing after McKay changed his mind and turned it down and with Fleischer hoping to land Ghostbusters 3.

13. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Three returnees (Favreau, Whedon, and the Russos); three who haven't (Leterrier, Branaugh, and Johnson); and one who probably won't based on his complaints (Alan Taylor). Could be worse, could be much better.

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

^^^
    And Favreau was out after Iron Man 2.

15. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think A-list is quite so exclusive - Branaugh and Favreau are up there, I'd say.

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Rawson Marshall Thurber has just passed on directing it.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=101244

Wow. Did Edgar Wright just call the runner ups and tell them not to take the director job?

Are they all in on some sort of pact/secret?

Wright- Hey guys, if you get offered Ant-Man say "No" they'll screw you over

17. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He still came back as Happy in Iron Man 3, though. So whatever caused him to drop out of directing (money, timing, not getting The Avengers), there doesn't appear to be any animus there.

18. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

It seems more like a case of patching things up rather than a smooth ride all the way through.

19. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Whoever comes in now would have to direct a movie that's already written, cast, designed, and storyboarded/pre-visualized. That's probably not something a lot of directors would want to do.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral