Anyone ever been in a Half Price Books store?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Nerdius Maximus, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

http://www.halfpricebooks.com/
    We've got a new one right by my house. I walked in there, found a ton of Star Trek books(Even the old Bantam ones), a bunch of records(They had a nice selection of John Williams scores), graphic novels, all kinds of great stuff. The Superman soundtrack was playing on the PA. I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven. I spent like, 40 bucks and went home with quite an impressive haul. I'm going to clean that place out eventually.

2. Garm Bel Iblis

Garm Bel Iblis Commodore

i love that store. they bought a huge box of my old trek books for a fairl price and i really love going there.

3. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Nowhere near one. :(

4. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Half-Price Books is evil. Eeeeeeeviiiilll, I tells ya!

Can't go in there without walking out with a pile of books that I probably didn't need (but definitely want).

I try to visit the local store at least a couple times a month becase you never know what you're gonna find. Awhile back I snagged an almost new-condition copy of the DSN Technical Manual for $35. Have seen copies going for the high-side of $100 on some on-line book dealers.

5. Judith Sisko

Judith Sisko Commander Red Shirt

I hit it at least once a month. (I assume you're going to NW 63rd and May?)

6. Smitty

Smitty Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes! I have 5 within a 25 mile radius of where I live. I go to each one in a rotation basis to check out the inventory. Simply awesome!

7. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately, it would take almost ten hours driving (without traffic) to get to the nearest Half Price Books location.

8. Nerdius Maximus

Yeah. Ever go to that Vintage Stock store right down the street?

9. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

I love Half-Price Books, precisely because you never know what you'll find. :)

My only problem with Vintage Stock is that their prices on used DVDs are too high. A lot of times, the difference in prices between their selections and a new copy of the same thing is a few bucks. I've never bought a boxed set from them, and only buy a single disc title from them if I can't find it anywhere else.

10. Judith Sisko

Judith Sisko Commander Red Shirt

I've never been. Next time I'm that way, I'll have to check it out. I usually do the bookstore trifecta (HPB, B&N, and Borders) since they're all within a few blocks of each other and especially now since B&N and Borders have gotten really competitive with their member coupons.

I buy DVD's more than anything at HPB. Last time I was there, I had an educator's discount coupon and bought the Annie Get Your Gun DVD for about 4 bucks. Can't beat that.

But I DO like to sit in the comfy chairs and glance through coffee table books while I'm there. I usually can't get out of the store with at least ONE book in my hand!

11. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Half Price rocks, though Uncle Hugo's here in town is just overwhelming.

12. Nerdius Maximus

Vintage stock has a huge dvd selection, as well. You should really check it out. They've got all the old game systems and games, records, toys, comics, posters, all kinds of stuff. Last time I was in there they had these Wrath of Khan Kirk and Spock dolls for 25 bucks a piece, and it was really hard for me to resist buying them. :lol: If anything, it's a nice trip down memory lane, especially with all the old Star Wars toys they've got.

13. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Interesting. A few months ago I brought in a bunch of books and they wouldn't give a penny for any of the Trek ones. They did offer to shred them for me though. I decided to hang onto them and try again later.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, I find that Half Price Books is more rewarding for buyers than sellers. Last week, I took in an assortment of items whose combined cover prices came to over 100 dollars, and most of which were in excellent condition, and they gave me a whopping 6 bucks for the whole lot.

15. Nerdius Maximus

:lol: That's odd, since they seem have such a huge inventory of Trek books. On the other hand, maybe that's precisely why they didn't want them. I'll let you know when I've cleaned out the selection at my location, maybe your store will buy your books and ship them here! :lol:

16. KirkSpockTOSFan

KirkSpockTOSFan Captain Captain

I go to one all the time. I live in Garland,TX which is less than 20 miles east of Dallas. So I go into Dallas and surounding cites such as Mesquite,Plano,Mckinny and so on. Anyways there are Half Price book stores all around in the differnt areas, and go to them here and there. The one in Mesquite by Town East Mall is the closset, so I go to that one alot. Every now in then I find different books I like there. I did buy some Star Trek books there about month ago. I go to all different kinds book stores just to find books of different interest. Besides Star Trek, I buy Disney, Titanic, and other historcal stuff Im intrested in.

17. mikjod

mikjod Cadet Newbie

Half-Price Books is how I built my Star Trek collection of books. I would go back into the bargain section and they would almost always have a large selection of 1.00 Trek paperbacks. In my early times of collecting I was able to walk out with 60 books for under 40 dollars thanks to coupons and the sale going on. Sadly the few remaining books I am missing I cannot find there, and I have not bought a Trek book there in over a year.

18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd hear this complaint a lot when I was managing an EB Games. "Why are you giving me two dollars for a game I paid fifty dollars for?"

Well, there are lots of reasons.

The game's been out for a while. There's not a lot of demand for it. There's a whopping good chance I'm not going to be able to sell it.

So, yeah, six dollars for a bunch of books may seem unfair, but there's a lot that goes into what a reseller will offer for your goods.

19. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

I was thinking that was the case. I'm not sure what criteria they use to determine what they'll take but it may very from branch to branch.

20. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

The local HPB here in Tacoma, Wa has had fewer and fewer Trek books every time I've been there over the past year. Less than a shelf's worth at present. Sort of echoes the situation across the street at the Borders Books where the slection of Trek books has also dwindled over the last year and a half or so. Very few titles, and not too many copies of each.