The New Alchemy - Gold

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Dryson, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Exactly what are you looking for here? Bacteria can extract gold from compounds containing gold. This is about as simple as logic gets. What, do you think this is magic? I don't know what point you are trying to make.

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

This was a neat article about the theoretical process of turning lead into gold. It is ridiculously impractical but still cool.

Link

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Ha! Before I even clicked, I thought "I bet with a particle acceleration and lots of time and dedication, you could do it." Sure enough, particle accelerator.

Hilariously impractical, as you said.

4. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I have a process of extracting salt from salt water. It's a complicated process, but all I need is time itself.

5. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Salt from water? That's really weak, you could extract potent and dangerous hydrogen fuel from any water. Turning water into fuel is probably a much more elusive historical holy grail than lead into gold, and yet it's... what Saturn V flew with.

"One day we'll turn water into fuel and use it to fly to the moon." Tell that to any alchemist and they'd tell you you'd been smoking your own alchemical preparations.

6. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At least you said "water." If you'd said "hydrogen," the alchemist would have asked, "What's a hydrogen?" Although a similar line did appear in DESTINATION MOON (1950). Joe, the "average man in the street" for audiences, is one of the contractors building the rocket, and he comments to his bosses:

Anyone interested in the pre-chemistry history of alchemy might enjoy The 13th Element: The Sordid Tale of Murder, Fire, and Phosphorus.

7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Don't use lead--use mercury and put it into a reactor.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthesis_of_precious_metals

Such transmutation is possible in particle accelerators or nuclear reactors, although the production cost is currently many times the market price of gold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthesis_of_precious_metals#Gold_synthesis_in_a_nuclear_reactor
    http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=207593
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_transmutation

Now, if security is low (Ha!) I suppose some goober who works in a reactor might try some home cooking...but Vic Mignogna's transmutation circles won't cut it.

8. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Mercury? It just doesn't have that ring to it.

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

If we ever have an antimatter engine, carbon shielding will turn into valuable if radioactive elements on the way to one's destination, if memory serves.

10. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Yeah, I'm not seeing it.

1, it's getting gold from gold.

2, it's not alchemy, which creates gold from base metals.

3, it's just straight science. It is, in this day and age, nothing special.

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Considering I did a smaller scale version of this experiment with Ferrocene (iron compound) at university, as part of the standard UK course, 10 years ago...yeah.